Do you VSGers feel like aliens now?

smbergie200
on 6/4/11 1:54 pm - Naples, FL
Odd question I know, but my brain never stops running. As I walked through walmart to do a little grocery shopping I came to the realization how different ... even  difficult being a future VSGer will be. I enter the door and am bombarded with the fresh smell of bread baking from both subway and the bakery. Huge displays of High fructose corn syrup with sale signs bombard me at every corner. Every Isle I go through I realize that I will not be eating that anymore. As my fat butt squeezes by my fellow walmart obese shoppers I glance at the walls of candy and cookies.

I glance at fellow shoppers carts and they are all overflowing with junk food. Every corner I turn there are advertising screens telling me what junk food to buy. My mouth starts to water as I went shopping on an empty stomach.

My question is this. How do you not feel like an alien in this JUNK FOOD centric society we live in? I mean EVERY commercial is Junk food, Bil boards advertising junk food, Radio telling me what junk to eat. People at work discussing what junk to eat.

Wont VSG make me feel like an outcast. Will I feel like an ALIEN without a stomach. Like I don't fit in with this world. How will I blend in. Will I miss being of THEM.

I will be skinny, but I will I be a SKINNY ALIEN?

Plastics - Extended Tummy Tuck - February 6th 2013

Sabrina R.
on 6/4/11 2:02 pm - CA
Oh yea! We went to Target yesterday and Ralphs today! There was a fundraiser going on in front of Ralphs, Rootbeer Floats for only $1.00!!!! ARGH! I love A&W!!!!!!  WHAAAA!

bekahler
on 6/4/11 2:14 pm - Parkville, MD

Heres a thought try shopping elsewhere....think quality over quantity. Try hitting a farmers market, or go meander through a whole foods...if trader joes is in your area check it out...

I aspire NOT to be a carbed out crack head HFCS fat ass junkie walking glazed eyed into the ailses as though being controlled by little debbie herself sugar seeking more glazed donut holes....(mmmmm donut holes..wait I digress)

Anyhow...imagine yourself HAPPY HEALTHY and WHOLE (not hole! see above mentioned) 

Good luck...this Alien needs some beauty sleep!

Work to be part of the solution not another victim of the system.

"There are no Strangers Here, Only Unmet Friends" ~Helen Keller        

jenniflorida
on 6/6/11 5:01 am - Washington, DC
OMG - I had to send this line to my best friend and Mom:
I aspire NOT to be a carbed out crack head HFCS fat ass junkie walking glazed eyed into the ailses as though being controlled by little debbie herself sugar seeking more glazed donut holes....(

Just too funny!

bekahler
on 6/6/11 7:10 am - Parkville, MD
 Im so glad you got my sense of humor! No disrespect to the real "little debbie"
"There are no Strangers Here, Only Unmet Friends" ~Helen Keller        

Sassy 1
on 6/4/11 2:15 pm
I think the hardest part for me (and my hubby) is that I've lost my passion for eating.  We always have celebrated with food- together- and that includes my kids and extended family.  I do LIKE food, I just don't fixate on it or center my life around it.  My husband took me to dinner at a gourmet restaurant for my bday and I could have about 5 bites.  I watched him clean his plate- large steak, potato etc clean and promptly order dessert.  He was dissappointed.  It's something we bonded over.  I guess my current problem is what do I have a passion for now?  The life journey continues!  P.S.  It will gross you ou****ching people eat such massive amounts.  Stay out of Walmart! 

LilySlim Weight loss tickers
P_B
on 6/4/11 2:29 pm - Norfolk, VA
hahahahhahahaaa! I was so thinking about this the other day!!! I was like how in the F*&# am I going to walk through walmart and no buy a 5dolla ftlong or buy a box of cookies which i know wont last 3 days between my DH and I (even though DH is a healthy 165lbs) he eats just as much as i do and sometimes he eats worse. anyhoo off track i know.... I just dont get how I am going to walk down the baking goods isle and not pick up cakes for my weekly dinner with our good friends or not pick up icecream cones...I just dont see it happening...yet lol

Krazydoglady
on 6/4/11 2:35 pm - FL
Not an alien, but different.  There's no doubt. Here's the thing.  All those people discussing junk food will soon be telling you how great you look.  Trust me. Also, the fast food displays, etc, won't tempt in the same way.

I'm a foodie -- I love wonderful food.  It's been an adjustment, but I still eat wonderful food just in very small portions.  I had grilled grouper with a shrimp and corn salsa for dinner last night that was to freakin' to die for.  And after eating precisely 3 ounces, my mother-in-law finished the rest of the plate. 

Carolyn  (32 lbs lost Pre-op) HW: 291, SW: 259, GW: 129.5, CW: 126.4 

variable
on 6/4/11 2:43 pm
 Reading your post I was reminded of the Old Testament passage about Lot's Wife (Genesis 11-14). You know, she turns to see the cities being burned and is turned to a pillar of salt for her trouble.

What got me to the place where VSG was the thing to do was choice. I'm only a few days post-surgery but my take is that so long as can make the right choices it doesn't matter much where I go or what food-scents are there.

Here in Arizona where I chose to have surgery there's a chain of stores called Fresh and Easy. It's clean, small and well-kept. Back in Virginia where I live there are stores like it: Harris-Teeter for example.

Anyway, that's my take. Good luck.
BriarRose
on 6/4/11 2:44 pm
I still love my meals -- healthy, delicious, and appropriate. Tonight I grilled mahi-mahi with a hint of lemon butter, and fresh basil. I made rice for my daughter, and grilled some vegies for us both.

Walmart ? ! I haven't bought meats there since I got a rotten tray of chicken....and the produce isn't great. I do buy canned, boxed, bottled things there though.

When walking by the pastries and candy, I tell myself "not for you, not for you, not for you" as I walk by ! Because IF I were to eat something off my program, you can be sure it isn't coming from Walmart !!!!

I do agree with Krazydoglady though....I look for wonderful items of quality -- a great piece of fish, really fresh vegies, a great balsimic vinegar.....
Briar Rose  
High Wt 300 lbs.  Pre-op Wt loss 34 lbs.   
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 89 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 303 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 349 views