5 months out and need veteran advice

borntobethin35
on 7/18/11 6:43 am - VA
I'm 5 months out and I wanted to know has any one ever went back to only doing shakes (liquids only) to break a stall? (doing a pre-op diet). I wanted to try it but I'm on day 2 and I feel like I'm going to die because I'm so hungry. I can't see how I done this before (pre-op), Does having a smaller stomach make it harder to do 5 days of only liquids?

Sheka
HW: 272   SW: 256  CW: 189 GW: 170

1st  Goal:    245:    
Achieved
2nd Goal:    220:    Achieved
3rd  Goal:    199:    Achieved
Final goal:   170

"I thank GOD for allowing me this opportunity to turn my life around"

(deactivated member)
on 7/18/11 6:49 am
I actually broke through a plateau by increasing my caloric intake to around 1000 calories a day and adding additional protein.  I was just beginning to lift weights, so I'm not sure if that was the reason that recommendation was made for me.  

After your body is in starvation mode for so long it refuses to burn more fat until you let it know you will feed it some more...I think that's how it works theoretically.

I'm up to around 1600 to 1800 a day now but I'm not really seeking to lose much more.
OnederlandHereICom
e

on 7/18/11 7:58 am
 I went to protein bars to get strict portion control and break a stall.  That 5-6 month stall was really tough.

Like the butterfly,  I have the strength and the hope to believe 
In time I will emerge from my cocoon... Transformed. Kirsti A. Dyer, MD, MS

borntobethin35
on 7/18/11 8:47 am - VA
Yes it is killing me. I just want to shock my body and do something drastic to get my body weight moving again. I've tried upping the calories now I think maybe I should drop the calorie intake to 600-800 again to see if maybe I can lose more weight!

Sheka

Achieved

OnederlandHereICom
e

on 7/18/11 12:30 pm
 I'll bet you're losing inches.  That's what usually happens during a stall

But try mixing things up.  Change what you're eating.  If you're doing aerobics/cardio, add some strength training.

I have not stalled more than a week since I got really serious about Zumba - meaning at least 5 hours a week.  Tough to find the time, but as my friend says "if workouts were easy to fit in, they'd call them easy-outs".

Remember you're worth it.  Everyone around me knows that my Zumba times are off-limits.  That is my time for my health.  

Like the butterfly,  I have the strength and the hope to believe 
In time I will emerge from my cocoon... Transformed. Kirsti A. Dyer, MD, MS

Merrilee
on 7/18/11 8:41 am
Congratulations on all of the success that you have experienced so far and have yet to come!!!
 I went back to shakes and all-liquid about the same time. It seemed to break that stall that I had. It gave me the time to regroup and ensure that I was logging all of my calories. It worked great for me, and even at 8 months out, i am thinking of doing it again.
Now only if I can have the same discipline when in comes to exercise. lol. 
Best of luck in continuing on the journey. 

borntobethin35
on 7/18/11 8:49 am - VA
Congrats to you Merrilee, you are doing great. How long did you do the all liquids to break your stall?

Achieved

Merrilee
on 7/18/11 5:45 pm
 Hi Sweetie,
Sorry it took me so long to respond.  I was on about a week. Then I slowly incorporated normal foods back into my diet.

loverofcats
on 7/18/11 8:51 am
Are you exercising? When I hit a plateau at 5 months, I increased the intensity and frequency of my exercise, which helped to break the plateau. I find increasing exercise works better for me, than trying to starve myself, like in the beginning. I just can't do that anymore.
     "          
 LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

USAF Wife
on 7/18/11 11:20 am
Personally, I won't ever do just liquids.
1) I did enough of that crap post-op
2) For me, and my mentality on dieting, liquids only is nothing different than crashing dieting, and I did enough of that crap in the past

Now, I will tell you that I do a complete carb detox by eating all protein, and any carbs I get in from dairy such as greek yogurt or cheese. With that being said, I essentially go back to my losing stage intake which is no more than 30 grams of carbs per day. If I really want to detox carbs, I go all meat and eggs for a couple of days, and then bring in some dairy.

I never stalled in my losing stage, but when I gained weight after a holiday binge, I didn't go back to liquids, just eliminated carbs from my diet and I dropped those pounds uber fast.
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

Most Active