Support Groups!

Patricia M.
on 1/19/12 1:56 am
I had my surgery in April of last year. I was doing good going to the support groups and stopped going in September. Yesterday was my first day back. I am so glad that I went. They just really help to know that you are not alone in some of the struggles that continue after the surgery. For example I felt that I was the "only one in the world" that still had to fight demons after surgery in the sense of still wanting to eat (and eating) what I am not supposed to. I felt like I failed when I stopped losing weight since December.

My point is that there are other patients that go thru the same struggles. It is also very helpful for us (the veterans) to help out all the pre-op patients that have not had the surgery and are full of questions, fears, etc.

Sometimes someone might comment on things that you just needed to hear. Others speak up and ask or comment on what you are afraid to ask.

So I encourage you and me and all of us to continue to go to the Support Groups! They are extremely helpful.

Daisy_Rose
on 1/19/12 3:30 am
 I went to my first one last night - I'm just 6 weeks out and they hold them monthly so December was not an option of attending!

I completely agree!  I got the vitamin craze clarified, the protein grams clarified and heard from the veterans how to cope with family, home and work meals.

Very informative and positive.  Definitely need the support groups of folks going through the same journey.

Thanks for your post and great reminder.

ruggie
on 1/19/12 4:37 am - Sacramento, CA
I always used to shun support groups - now I'm running one of my own!  They are amazingly supportive.  It's so nice to identify the struggles you're having with a group of people that have already lived through it.

Heaviest weight:  310 pounds  (Male, 5'10")

Patricia M.
on 1/19/12 4:46 am
Wow! So glad for you. At first I went simply because I was "forced". I could not have my surgery unless i attended a certain number of meetings. I think that it is important to be honest of all good and bad experiences. My fear (before surgery) was that everyone was only focusing on how much weight they lost but were not being honest about physical struggles or with issues that can happen afterwards.

There is a bit of everything, "The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly". I really have not had anyone have very negative experiences which is good. We exchange receipes, websites with frebbies, etc so it's all good.

Contragulations on your support group! 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 89 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 306 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 351 views