couch to 5k - who has done it?

K_in_Tx
on 1/23/12 9:01 am
i've been really thinking about starting this program, but wasn't sure if it was worth it.

if you've done it, can you tell me about it?  is it good?  does the program tell you when to run/walk or do i have to watch a clock?   did you get results?

any info is appreciated :)
cnjm6201
on 1/23/12 9:11 am, edited 1/23/12 9:11 am
I didn't do that program but I did literally go from being a couch potato to doing a 5k last year.  I just started running 3 to 4 times a week and each time I just ran a little longer than the last.  I actually started at 1 minute.   I loved doing it and plan to do more.  Good luck to you!

"Be content at whatsoever state you are in."  Phil. 4:11                      
Mike B.
on 1/23/12 9:15 am
I started this before I thought of having WLS and I had a hard time running. Now that I am up to running 30 min a day, I think I will try it again. This program does tell you when to walk and when to run. There are stages that you follow that helps you build up to running a 5k. I like to listen to music while working out so, the only thing I did not like about this was, I could not figure out how to put music in between the times where the person tells you to walk and run. If you can figure it out, please let me know. Good luck.

HW:280       SW:270       OLD GW:190       NEW GW: 180       CW: 174

vacationlover
on 1/23/12 9:35 am
Pkrplyr777
on 1/23/12 10:01 am - CT

I tried this program a few years ago. I did like the concept...the running for a few minutes then walking for a few minutes then running again.
I have the podcasts. The guy talks you through the whole thing.
I did not like the music. It was kinda techno.
Just not my thing.

However, I started on the treadmill at 3 mph everyday. I did 40 minutes. Then I just kept going faster and faster. Now, my new all time high is 2.8 miles at 5 mph.

Everyday but one.....that's the key.
donna

HW/233 *  SW/212 * CW/133 *GW/132 * 100 Pounds of FAT gone FOREVER!

Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple~Dr.Suess            
Jasonm11
on 1/23/12 11:56 am
I downloaded an app on the iphone that allows you to use your own music from itunes with the voice playing over it...it worked good and overall I enjoyed the program...I'm about to start over with it since I slackd off for a few months and lost my momentum...

HW(2-19-11) - 375    SW(3-9-11) - 362.5    CW - 204    GW - 220
Reached 100 pounds lost from highest weight at 3.5 months post-op!!!
Reached 100 pounds lost since surgery weight at 4.75 months post-op!!!
Stella S.
on 1/23/12 12:16 pm
Did it...kicked its ass and am now running marathons!   It is a great beginner program.

I never utilized the podcasts or crazy music some encourage.  I did the program on the treadmill and used a stopwatch to keep track of the early week transitions. 
tripmom02
on 1/23/12 12:59 pm - NJ
 I just finished week 5 and I am starting week 6, tonight for the first time in my life, I was able to run for 2.25 miles (in 20 mins) without stopping! My goal is to run a 5k, and a 10k by the end of the year. My results have been amazing, and I LOVE the whole program. I have had to do a few weeks over in the start b/c I was not ready to move on, but I have moved from being unable to run for 60 seconds to what I can do now! 

I use Podrunner, its a free Podcast for your ipod that tells you when to walk and run and has good music, but you can find them for just about any device and some will let you listen to your own music etc. 

Courtney - Lap band to VSG revision

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 90 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 310 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 358 views