Syntrax Nectar Question

LISA C.
on 2/5/12 12:44 am - NJ
VSG on 02/22/12
I am scheduled for surgery 2/22 so have been ordering some products that I will need after surgery.  I ordered the Syntrax nectar Chocolate truffle and vanilla.  I can't drink them with water but love them mixed with 2% milk.  Since I will be drinking several of these per day, is the 2% milk okay?  I can't stand skim milk but maybe it would be palatable to me with the nectar protein mixed in.  Any suggestions are welcome as this newbie tries to figure out "how much" of "what" I need to succeed!
Ms. Poker Face
on 2/5/12 12:48 am
I mix my Nectars with water for two reasons.  I like them that way and it's zero carbs.  If you can, try to mix yours with skim milk to keep the carbs and calories down.

Definitely mix them with a spoon.  Don't blend or shake the nectars or they get yucky!

5'5"    Goal reached, but fighting regain.  Back to Basics.
Start Weight 246    Goal Weight 160    Current Weight 183

Starting size: 22, 2x
Current size: 12, L

Texdawg
on 2/5/12 1:24 am
VSG on 01/17/12
I used the fruity Nectars. I added Bariatric Advantage vitamin crystals to them. I used blender ball cup and worked fine. 26 grams each I think. Good luck.
ruggie
on 2/5/12 2:14 am - Sacramento, CA
I agree with Silly Sweet on this - cut the extra carbs and calories.  More calories and carbs will only slow you down a bit.

You can drink them with water, but you don't want to.  Put a lot of thought into how your eating habits are going to have to change after surgery - no, not the obivous ones that your portions will be smaller.  But that fact that you'll have to come to terms that food isn't going to be a reliable source of pleasure and enjoyment, especially as compared to life before surgery.  Don't be a robot - find enjoyment in little bites and morsels, special instances separated by long periods of time - but not every day at every meal.  I drink mine with water because I'm trying to win, not because I'm trying to get my staple food to taste as good as food before surgery.

Geez.... I'm a freak, still drinking 3 syntrax shakes a day, let's average certain days for drinking 2 shakes on the weekend, travelling with bars instead.... I must have consumed between 400-500 watery syntrax shakes so far.  Let's say 450.  If I made each shake with 2% milk, that's 122 calories if I only use 1 cup, so I would have ingested a total of 55,000 additional calories, which people will tell you is equivilant to 15 pounds (not sure this is a 'fair' conversion though).  *shrug*  Your mileage may vary.

Heaviest weight:  310 pounds  (Male, 5'10")

LISA C.
on 2/5/12 2:33 am - NJ
VSG on 02/22/12
Yikes, Ruggie, that 55,000 calorie number sure put things into perspective!!!!  Thanks for the advice everyone.  I will *try* and get them down with jus****er.  Perhaps after surgery that will be easier (I've read on this forum many times that people's tastes have changed after surgery - boy do I hope I'm one of them since I can't stand cottage cheese right now either)!

I just looked up the carb numbers in skim milk and they are high as well.  Oh crap.  Looks like I gotta somehow get the nectars down with water.  I've only tried the chocolate truffle and the vanilla; I will try other flavors and hopefully will fare better with those.

As always, this forum is a lifesaver :)
J.Lo 74
on 2/5/12 3:26 am
 I use Blue Diamond Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk.  It's only 40 calories and 2 carbs.  
Pura Vida
on 2/5/12 3:26 am - Costa Rica
Ok, I have a bit of advice for you. I am like Ruggie and at 3 yrs out still have the Nectar choc truffle 3x a day. Here is how it goes down the easiest:

mix about 3/4 cup tap water with powder (use a spoon, it will make a thick paste), then I add about 1/4 cup of ho****er. It comes out warm enough that I pretend it is a hot chocolate (more like lukewarm chocolate) but for me it tastes better and I can chug it.

Good Luck

Heather
Happy966
on 2/5/12 4:32 am

I do a mocha with about 3 oz of almond milk, a scoop of the Nectar Chocolate Truffle and the rest of an over-sized mug filled with decaf coffee.  Almond milk (or more precisely, the new Almond Breeze Coconut-Almond Milk mixture) is my very best food friend.  I only do milk rarely now - every week or two I'll have a tall decaf skinny caramel latte from Starbucks.  I think kairk has posted a recipe for his version a little further up.

:) Happy

53 yrs old, 5'6" HW: 293 ConsW: 273 SW: 263 CW: 206

viola_120
on 2/5/12 9:29 am - FL
I premix mine in 2 oz of water and then add coffee, yum!  A nice morning cup of mocha.  I was using Nectar drinks until I ordered ISO 100--much better in my opinion, at least the fruit drinks are, I like Nectars chocolate but switched to ISO 100 gourmet chocolate and use it in  my morning coffee.  Like it better too, but not too different from Nectar.
HW-250 SW 241.8 GW 139            
CheeseLover
on 2/5/12 10:41 am
VSG on 02/16/12
I mix it with milk but that's what the NUT recommended to do because they taste better and you are getting more protein. We were told to use FF lactaid. I have done skim milk, but I always used skim in everything before so I would never notice the difference. However, my thought is you probably wouldn't notice the difference because the flavor and thickness of the powder would overpower.
 HW: 396 SW: 299 CW: 252 GW: 175

FINALLY BROKE THAT GOD-AWFUL STALL!!!!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 92 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 314 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 362 views