Anyone developed IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) post-op?

Crissy327
on 7/27/12 2:27 am - NC
I never had any symptoms like this before my surgery but this is what the doctors think is the cause of my symptoms.

I have gurgling in my stomach pretty much all the time. My doctor says I am very gassy although I rarely pass gas that I know of. And about once or twice a week I get a sudden need to go that I have to attend to right away or I feel like I am going to explode. Sorry if this is TMI. He He

I am just desperate to find out what is wrong with me and how to fix it.

Any advice anyone?
On my way!!!!!!

Crissy    
AdeanaMarie
on 7/27/12 2:58 am, edited 7/27/12 3:00 am - MI
VSG on 03/08/12
Are you taking any anti acid meds or laxatives? Your tummy may need the acid reducer and if you are on laxatives, that would explain the urgency. I only ask because I have Crohn's Disease, which is similar to IBS and I never had the gurgling in my stomach issue until after surgery and it stopped when I went on an acid reducer. Before surgery and gurgling usually occurred farther down my intestinal track. Also, is the urgency to go followed by diarrhea? I know, I know, probably TMI. However, any bathroom issues I had revolving around my Crohn's, I always had diarrhea after the huge urgency. I now do not have that same urgency. I used to have a BM 4-5 times a day before surgery and always diarrhea. Now, after surgery, I have to take a stool softener and sometimes a laxative to go every 2-3 days. There is sometimes an urgency when I have to go, but no diarrhea and no pain.

Just wondering how much fake sugar you are eating? That can have very negative effects on your digestive track as well.

Also, if you are not on an acid reducer, the gurgling could be excess acid in your little tummy.

If you are still on liquids or pureed foods, the issue may work itself out after you go to full solids and with more fiber.

Check with your doctor and it may take ruling some things out before you find the cause. Just have him make sure it isn't anything to do with your actual surgical procedure.

Also, do not rule out a gluten, soy or milk intolerance. If your system feels irritated, there is a reason why it feels irritated and it can be something you are putting in it.

Best wishes on your journey.

“Not many of us are living at our best.  We linger in the lowlands because we are afraid to climb the mountains.  The steepness and ruggedness dismay us, and so we stay in the misty valleys and do not learn the mystery of the hills.  We do not know what we lose in our self indulgence.  What glory awaits us if only we had the courage for the mountain climb.  What blessing we should find if only we would move to the uplands of God.?  JRM

Crissy327
on 7/27/12 6:17 am - NC

Thanks so much for your response!

I am not taking any antacids or laxatives. I just take a pro biotic (digestive advantage) and anti-diarrhea meds when the pain starts up.

I think I will try your idea of an acid reducer. I took some for 3 months after my surgery though and was still having problems then but it might help. It's worth a try anyway. He he

My gurgling seems right in the middle, just below my rib cage.

I only have the diarrhea a couple times a week but it can be very painful and sometimes I don't make it to the restroom in time. That is obviously a huge issue. My main reason for concern really.

I have began to wonder about the fake sugar idea. I was thinking about what has changed in my diet so much and the big change is I drink 3 protein shakes a day and never did do a lot of fake sugars before my surgery. Obviously I eat a lot less quantity but I still eat fairly close to before other than that and the shakes. 

I have considered the gluten or milk intolerance too. I had not thought about the soy but I did read that it is in my shakes. I am thinking of trying a couple weeks without each thing, one at a time and see if I can get anywhere that way.

I guess time will tell. I am hopeful that I can find an answer or at least some medication to help me out.

Thanks so much for the advice. I so want an answer and a solution.

On my way!!!!!!

Crissy    
Carmelita
on 7/27/12 10:07 am - Four Corners, NM
 Hey Cris..I just read your reply to me on another post....but since this is 2012...lol I'll reply here ok lol

bacterial overgrowth is indeed a major problem for us post VSG!  Just as its a long term complication in partial gastrectomy!  very similar to VSG as it entails gastric resection only as well....I will spare ya my sermon on probiotics...lol

Maybe take a look at this recent post to another gal w/ constipation ...where I think probiotics can help  also.  Probiotic reply

My thinking is your digestive issues CAN be remedied...most med doctors wanna slap any name to symptoms without fully testing it..call it IBS or ? even if  they really DON'T KNOW!    I do do a 2 month regime of probiotics a couplea times a year. I start out taking 3 for a few days...usually  before bed ...and only with water, not food...it helps me to remember, my HCL production is super low then.....so more good bugs live vs. killed off. 

.I looked up your Digestive Advantage Im not sure which one you are taking but even the best one with the most strains  may not be  ENOUGH of IBS combattin specific strains!!  ...like bifidobacterum strains, lactobacillus plantarum  (maybe take a look at ecology and pathogenesis section of MICROBE WIKI ) and I would wanna get a saccharomyces boulardii in there especially....to combat diarrhea...the exact same strain to combat BAD BUG  C. diff ...diagnosed in some post VSG peeps....you must take the S. boulardii....everyday maybe even longer than the 2 months...maybe! ...as it does NOT colonize or multiply but eliminated...unlike other probiotics colonize and multiply  with just takin some fiber everyday....oh .greek yogurt ck labels...more strains! A+   better than reg. yogurts w/ live cultures...anyway....

Look for a probiotic in CAPSULE form.
Can supplement another complete multi-strain probiotuc, get an altogether new complete probiotic with the strains you seek as high a count as many strains possible...and save Digestive Advantage for another time if it doesn't contain the strains you check into, supplement only specific strains like the saccharomyces boulardii......either way...they're good bugs...you won't overdose!!  

Probiotics
  a website Ive used since early out
enter "IBS" in the newletter search bar...and choose or check if your  probiotic DA has those specific strains, check out those strains on this original page...or check out those strains on the Microbe WIKI link up above.

Are you on an IBS diet? or hit n miss? maybe look it up or avoid yer worst offenders for awhiles.........Maybe eliminate ALL refined/processed carbs ...no breads, pastas, starches, sweets just for awhile ok!!  

Sugar inc. artificial sugars...is the food of bad bugs...Fiber the food of good bugs!! Maybe even fiber gummies?  

Almond milk..lactose free! no milk sugar...also good protein...LEAN protein meats turkey,chicken breasts, fajita strips, salmon, tuna, eggs cheese (might have probs w/ milk  stuff I dunno) ..avoid fatty cuts. any man made processed meats, fried foods...just for awhile!! look at meatless products  like morningstar the sausage patties are good fiber n protein, the meat crumbles ...and also boca burgers same..in the frozen foods section.

Look for GOOD esp. soluble FIBER CARBS...complete protein ones even ...like quinoa, amaranth, chia, soybeans (edamame)  ....oatmeal is good, avocados are great! ...psyllium is good (SF metamucil)....but don't overload/overcompensate w/ fiber either.....may be challenging findin good fiber carbs that won't cause you gas pain.

My Phd ss..in that other post you replied to... IS FINALLY taking a 4 strain probiotic as of a week ago..at DIL's urging..doctors perscribin different meds...didn't help him all those years......better than nuthin and helluva lot better than just Activia for years right lol.. he can't eat most raw veggies  breads, processed foods, milk products ...it gives him bad gas/pain/dhr.  He used to eat gluten free bread...but he's gotten to where he won't even eat that...cuz he says it too bland..."tastes like paper pulp'..lol 

So play around with this and see how YOU feel after eating certain foods...a process of elimination not only in the literal sense..lol. 

If stress is ^^ symptoms...n your doc has not put you on a medication to help manage...maybe check into L theanine, or 5 HTP...anti-stress aids.  Some daily exercise.....walk even 15 minutes ...try hard to get it in. ...it helps.

It may take a while a couplea weeks or more..for symptoms to improve/ even out w/ probiotics...STAY THE COURSE...its the battle of the bugs!!  You've dealt with this problem for a whiles I take it........hang in there ok! it can only help...won't make it worse.
Crissy327
on 7/30/12 2:02 am - NC

Hey there!

Thanks so much for all this information. Sorry it took me so long to reply. I was just a little on info overload. He He.

Maybe I am not that bright but I am a little confused to be honest. He He. I got pretty confused reading your posting. I did get that you are saying to experiment with my diet and to get a variety of pro bio tics and not just stick with digestive advantage.

It sounds like you are very well versed in these matters. I am a newbie to all of this pro biotic and  IBS stuff. I have had symptoms for a year but really thought it was just part of the VSG deal. It wasn't until my neighbor and mom had the surgery that I found out it wasn't normal. He He

So, I cut out my protein shakes since that was the main change in my diet post-op. It's been two days and my tummy has settled down a bunch. So, I am thinking that something in them does not agree with me, at least not in that large of an intake.

I started the digestive advantage about 1 1/2 months ago. It helped a lot too. I switched to the anti-gas formula but that doesn't seem any better.

I am open to adding another pro biotic to my regimen and see if that helps at all. I was wondering what you would recommend as far as a good, broad-spectrum one.

I am a nursing student and school starts back up in 3 weeks. I am trying to see what I can do to fix this before school starts again. I would hate to have an accident at school.

Thanks so much for all your advice. I am really grateful and really am trying to understand all of what you said. I guess I need the pro-biotic for dummy's version. He He

Please let me know what you think if you have the time.

On my way!!!!!!

Crissy    
PBJ
on 7/27/12 11:31 am
do you notice this happens after taking something dairy?  After surgery...I did develop a lactose intolerance that I never had before.  Even now 2 years later it sometimes bothers me but much better.  Just a thought...

Patty
My weight loss journey                                                    
Crissy327
on 7/28/12 10:13 am - NC
I haven't really noticed that but I will watch for it.

I stopped my protein shakes today. I was going to give them up for 2 weeks and see if it calmed down. Much to my shock, my tummy has been quiet all day. That hasn't happened one day since surgery. So, something in my shakes must not agree with me. I am guessing the artificial sweeteners but we will see.

Thanks for the info. I will try it out!
On my way!!!!!!

Crissy    
AdeanaMarie
on 7/29/12 10:36 pm, edited 7/29/12 10:39 pm - MI
VSG on 03/08/12
I do still do one protein shake a day and I use a Plant based protein called PlantFusion. It has 21grams of protein per serving, but for me, the key is that it is soy, dairy and gluten free. Also, it is made with Stevia, a natural sweetener. I get it on Amazon. It ends up being less than $1.00 per serving and doesn't upset my tummy. Just a thought if you are looking for a different protein drink you can tolerate. I cannot remember if I mentioned it before in my other post or not.

It will not taste as great as some of the premixed shakes or as creamy, but you can make it with a milk alternative. I just mix it with water. I can forego taste for nutrition at times. Don't get me wrong, I like the protein, it just takes getting used to because it is not filled with so much other junk and is more natural.

“Not many of us are living at our best.  We linger in the lowlands because we are afraid to climb the mountains.  The steepness and ruggedness dismay us, and so we stay in the misty valleys and do not learn the mystery of the hills.  We do not know what we lose in our self indulgence.  What glory awaits us if only we had the courage for the mountain climb.  What blessing we should find if only we would move to the uplands of God.?  JRM

Crissy327
on 7/30/12 1:39 am - NC
Awesome!    Thanks so much for the info! 

I cut out my protein shakes for 2 days now and my tummy is soooo much happier already. I am sure the shakes are upsetting my GI tract.Now I just have yet to identify what it is exactly in the shakes that are bothering me. I have some unflavored Unjury still, I think I am going to try that after a couple weeks of letting my tummy rest from all these protein shakes. I put yours in my file and will give it a try after my break.

Thanks so much for the info. I am desperate to find out what is bothering me so much. I am thinking maybe the artificial sweeteners, since I read that it is a common cause. I guess time and experimentation is the only way for me to figure it out. At least I know for now that eliminating them all together helps a lot.

Thanks a lot and keep in touch!
On my way!!!!!!

Crissy    
AdeanaMarie
on 7/30/12 1:53 am - MI
VSG on 03/08/12
 So glad you are already feeling better.  It is hard to pinpoint sometimes, but at least now you know it is probably something in that particular shake.  Hope you continue to feel better and can find one that makes you feel great.  Mine makes me feel great!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 269 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 329 views