Maybe a stupid ??

Scotty D.
on 10/6/12 5:54 am - Roanoke, AL
VSG on 08/30/12
I was just wondering why we are suppose to wait 30 min. after eating to drink anything.
Tracasa
on 10/6/12 6:07 am
Doesn't give the body enoigh time to absorb the nutrients. Also might make you hungry sooner.
Scotty D.
on 10/6/12 6:28 am - Roanoke, AL
VSG on 08/30/12
Thanks, that was what I was thinking, just wanted to make sure.
MsBatt
on 10/6/12 7:01 am
On October 6, 2012 at 1:07 PM Pacific Time, Tracasa wrote:
Doesn't give the body enoigh time to absorb the nutrients. Also might make you hungry sooner.
There are only two things that are absorbed in the stomach---aspirin and alcohol. Everything else is absorbed in the intestines. The not drinking for 30 minute is an RNY rule that a lot of nuts tell to Sleevers, forgetting that the Sleeve retains the pylorus.
MsBatt
on 10/6/12 6:59 am
That's actually an RNY rule. They're not supposed to, because it can push food through their stoma too quickly, allowing them to over-eat or to become hngry again too soon. You have your pylorus, so that doesn't happen.

However, early out you just don't have ROOM in your new stomach for both the necessary protein and liquids. Feel free to drink as soon as you feel comfortable doing so.
califsleevin
on 10/6/12 7:50 am - CA
The idea stems from the RNY in particular where it is very easy to wash the food down the pouch, enabling one to cram more food thru than is desired for loss, The effect is somewhat less with our pyloric valve intact, but is still there. Same reason for avoiding drinking during meals.

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

Kelly-AnneH
on 10/6/12 8:58 am - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
There's another really good reason. A good swallow or 2 too soon after eating will HURT and is quite likely to make you puke. NOT fun. (Not that I have any experience with doing that...)

Your new, wee tummy needs gentleness, care and time to do its job. Dumping in water too soon interferes with its work and will make it unhappy. If it's unhappy it'll make you VERY unhappy.

All that said, you may have times when the food you've eaten is too dry or not chewed well enough. The answer then can be tiny, tiny sips of water or a hot drink. (Fred's preference) When I say tiny I mean just a couple of drops at a time. (You don't want to trigger an upchucking episode) A few drops every minute or so until the feeling of pressure eases will help a lot.

Highest 303.4, Surgery 263, Current 217.8, Goal 180

Keith L.
on 10/6/12 11:57 am - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12
 I was told it is so we do not stretch our new stomachs. 
Sasny
on 10/6/12 1:58 pm
VSG on 03/20/12
 Hi

My understanding of the no drinking rule For thirty minutes post eating is that it helps you stay full longer.  It was explained to me that you want to eat a dense protein and chew it well and then you want it to sit in your stomach and take a while to be digested.  You are to view your stomach as a clogged sink.  And you don't want to "wash" the drain out. Also early out you reallyndon't have much room and if you drink a lot during the meal most people would have trouble getting in their protein.

Stephanie

jimbovsg
on 10/6/12 5:15 pm, edited 10/6/12 5:16 pm
One important reason is this........... Think of your stomach like a slow draining sink....with liquids like water ...it passes through slowly...the pylorus drains it out.....with food...esp dense protein...it shuts to digest the food then opens later to dump it in the intestines....so with food in there first...you now have a completely clogged/backed up sink....keep running water in it...and it will overflow.  If your tummy is full of food and you drink right away...it will come back up the esophagus...trust me...if I drink too soon after eating......NOT good! 

JIMBO...  350lbs! lost!.....  TRIPLE CENTURY CLUB!!  HELL ...YEAH!  
MY  VSG......KICKS ASS!                                                                                                                                                                                      

I  am   6' 2"    

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 82 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 298 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 346 views