My Pre-op Diet

Keith L.
on 10/10/12 9:24 am - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12
I notice a lot of people don't get a pre-op diet from their doctor. This was mine, I was told to start 2 weeks prior to surgery:

IMPORTANT ... PRE/OP, LIVER SHRINKING DIET   The following is your pre/op diet.  Please begin with this diet two weeks prior to your surgery date   Breakfast / Lunch / Dinner  ... should be low calorie protein shakes or non fat yogurt or cottage cheese   The rest of the day (or if you are still hungry at meal time), you can have clear liquids.   You should drink 8 glasses of water or more a day.   Clear Liquids / Clear liquids are beef and chicken broth, apple, cranberry and grape juice, Skim Milk and Sugar Free Jello.   This diet will reduce the risk of complications during surgery by shrinking the size of your liver. 

I was having a rough time in the middle of this diet so my surgical coordinator said when I got super hungry I could also scramble up some egg whites (I added some saute'd spinach and a little tabasco).

I had zero complications post op and I think this diet had everything to do with it.

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

sheranfour
on 10/10/12 9:31 am
I also did a pre-op liquid diet even though my NUT said I didn't need to. It actually dosen't shrink your liver...our livers are very fatty due to our high BMI. The first place we actually lose sig weight when we go on a "diet" is our liver...the fat around it. This makes it easier for the surgeon to see and do his magic. A little TMI= when a good friend of mine had this discussion with her Doc she commented " I always thought the first place I lost weight whe I went on a diet was my boobs!"

I agree...my surgery recover time was incredible and the surgeon did say it was due to the 12 lbs I lost the week prior on my own Liq diet.
Not MY will, but HIS. Not MY time, but HIS.    
Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 45 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 45 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 201 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 283 views