I cooked!

TaylorH7682
on 11/6/12 2:50 am - NJ
VSG on 10/08/12

If any of you knew me in real life you would know that this is HUGE for me.  I do not cook.  Ever.  I don't know how, I don't enjoy it, it's just not my thing.  But I know that to really take advantage of this surgery and take control of my life, I need to be able to prepare foods for myself and not live on soup, apples, and cheese. lol.  So.... today I made Thai Quinoa from a recipe I found on Pinterest.  It is delicious!   I wouldn't say it was quick and easy to make. But I'm feeling very proud of myself.   I dont know that I would eat it on it's own, but I would def throw in some grilled chicken.  Yum!!

favrow812
on 11/6/12 2:51 am - Olathe, KS
VSG on 02/20/12

Recipe please! Looks yummy!!!

There is only one success--to be able to spend your life in your own way.

TaylorH7682
on 11/6/12 2:55 am - NJ
VSG on 10/08/12

Ingredients (Serves 4)

• 1 c. dry quinoa
  • 1 c. coconut milk
  • 1 c. vegetable broth
  • 1/3 c. chopped green onions
  • 1 T. minced ginger
  • 2 t. minced garlic
  • 1 c. frozen peas
  • 1 c. pineapple
  • 1/4 c. cilantro, chopped
  • 1 T. lime juice
  • 2 T. reduced sodium soy sauce
  • 1/2 c. scrambled tofu (optional—see recipe in our book)
  • Optional garnishes: lime wedges, peanuts, cilantro, cherry tomatoes

Instructions

• Place a saucepan over medium-high heat and add quinoa, stirring every minute or so until quinoa is toasted.
  • Combine coconut milk and vegetable broth and add to quinoa.
  • Bring to a boil. Lower heat to a simmer, cover and cook for 15-20 minutes, or until liquid is absorbed.
  • Meanwhile, coat a large skillet with cooking spray or a light spritz of oil and place over medium-high heat. Add green onion, ginger and garlic and sauté for a minute or two.
  • Add peas, pineapple and cilantro and sauté for an additional minute.
  • Add quinoa to the skillet and coo****il starting to slightly brown and crisp.
  • Finish with lime juice and soy sauce and add in scrambled tofu, if using.
  • Serve and garnish.

Keith L.
on 11/6/12 4:04 am, edited 11/6/12 4:04 am - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

That's awesome. I love to cook and i find it is much more enjoyable if you know how. I used to hate it until I started learning a few things and now I watch cooking shows constantly. I watch recipes on YouTube, especially for like asian dishes that are a bit tougher or have different techniques.

Congrats on cooking. I love Thai Food.

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

Wildcat-NYC
on 11/6/12 4:56 am
VSG on 08/16/12

Don't you love Pinterest?  I tried a Pinterest hair style today.  It was a disaster and my hair is now in a ponytail...

Tracker starting weight = surgery weight    
Alison V.
on 11/6/12 6:11 am - MO
VSG on 10/22/12

Dude, you cooked quinoa!  I love to cook, and work in catering, and have yet to actually make quinoa.  You are awesome!

JAlston
on 11/6/12 1:19 pm
VSG on 12/07/12

Taylor - Did you like quinoa? I haven't tried it yet but have been very interested to and seen many recipes on pinterest for it. I've been nervous to try it! What's it taste like?

Jessica  

(HW: 305)  (SW: 271.9) (33.1 lbs lost prior to surgery) (MsJexi on MFP)

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 45 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 45 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 201 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 283 views