I am a little freaked out right now

Keith L.
on 11/11/12 11:58 pm - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

I got on the scale this morning and my weight was up about one and a half pounds. I don't even know how this is possible. I have not done anything different. I would have been ok with a stall or a couple decimal points up, but a lb and a half. I haven't even eaten enough calories in the last 4 days to gain a pound let alone a pound and a half. I am freaking out right now.

I know what to do to fix it, but WTF!!!!

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

Laci M.
on 11/12/12 12:00 am
VSG on 10/09/12

I know that if you don't eat enough calories your body can go into starvation mode, which is what I'm afraid of because I don't nearly get in enough calories, even though I'm trying.

I wouldn't be too upset.  It's not a setback, it's just another step in this long and difficult lifestyle change.  

I'd focus on all the amazing things you've accomplished already and not this "upset".  (I know that's easier said than done because if it happened to me, I'd be devastated...)

slimpickins5280
on 11/12/12 12:10 am - CO

16 oz of water = 1 lb

3500 calories = 1lb

If you haven't done anything differently, most likely it is water weight.

This may seem strange, but the best way to get rid of water weight is to drink more water.

VSG 10/18/11      If you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one.-Dolly Parton

Keith L.
on 11/12/12 12:30 am - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

Good point and I was way behind on water this weekend. I think you may be on to something here. I am definitely well armed for this battle today. I have 51oz of bottle water with me at my desk that may goal is to finish before I leave and then of course a couple more bottles tonight.

slimpickins5280
on 11/12/12 1:42 am - CO

If it helps, I shoot for 100 oz a day. 64 oz is the min requirement.

VSG 10/18/11      If you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one.-Dolly Parton

PrettyEyes_41
on 11/12/12 12:16 am - MS
VSG on 06/12/12

My scale hates me that same way. This weekend I was up 1.5 lbs and this morning down 2 lbs. It has to do with water weight I believe and sodium intake, exercise, holding your mouth right, etc. - LOL. I don't know why it happens to tell you the truth but it does and it's frustrating and I say WTF all the time to my scale. I try now to weigh only once a week instead of every day which actually translates to once every 2-3 days. I get on and off about 3 times and I'll get at least 2 different readings to which I only believe the lowest one! I think it's time for us to go on strike against scales!! They're nothing but a pain in the a$$ and only occasionally tell us the truth! Just don't let it frustrate you and put a damper on the great job you're doing!

Gale     Age: 55, Height: 5' 5.5", HW: 236, SW: 210, 1st GW: 150.  Surgery BMI: 39.3  Extremely HBP, High Cholesterol & borderline diabetic.      

Italian-Princess
on 11/12/12 12:56 am - IL
VSG on 06/28/12

When there is a quick change in weight like that, it's got to be water weight.  You can't possibly have eaten enough food in a day to gain 1.5 pounds -- unless you mainlined butter by the bucket!  Maybe your foods were higher in sodium then usual?  That could cause water retention.  Don't freak out -- it will go away just as quickly as it appeared.

You're doing great -- keep up the good work!

Ree

godsdiva4life
on 11/12/12 1:11 am - Frisco, TX
It's definitely water. That's what mine was, especially when you are strength training. Your muscles if they are sore and as they are building lean muscle will retain water. This is what my nut told me last week when I mysteriously gained 4 lbs. When it went away so did 2 lbs additional. Hope it helps.

ladytiff
on 11/12/12 1:14 am - PA
VSG on 10/17/12
This is why i love this site, just reading up on someone elses issue helps me too. So question, when this happens is it just fluids periods that the body needs or does it need to be WATER?. Can it be like vitamin water zero or skinny water?my taste buds r outta wack and plain water has a bitter taste. So i do those other waters more than plain water...thoughts?
Keith L.
on 11/12/12 1:23 am - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

Short answer is liquids. Longer answer make sure to drink just plain water too. Those others you mentioned contain artificial sweeteners and while they taste better, the artificial sweeteners are not good for you either.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 89 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 303 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 349 views