post of day two - constantly sipping water and premier protein drink - am i hurting my sleeve?

deemyers
on 2/8/13 1:41 am
VSG on 02/05/13

I am so paranoid about getting enough water in that I am constantly sipping water from a bottle. It makes my stomach hurt, but I hoping its just a part of the process being so newly out of surgery. I cant tell if I am hungry, so in between I am sipping on premier protein drink. is that bad? should I be leaving that for meals instead? I just dont have a feeling of when to stop so like the water, I keep sipping the protein drink. any advice anyone? am I hurting my sleeve?

Shagdoll
on 2/8/13 1:59 am

You are smart for constantly sippng.  It's such a chore so early out of surgery but it's critical so we don't get dehydrated.  I remember liquids hurting when I sipped but it's probably because our newly sleeved tummy is so small & swollen.  I don't think you are hurting your sleeve. 

Jenn  

WWBD?  

Keith L.
on 2/8/13 2:33 am - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

Thats exactly what you should be doing. You are not going to hurt your sleeve with liquids unless you try gulping down large mouthfuls, and you will know when you have had a bit too much in a swallow. Your sleeve is not shy about letting you know when its not happy and it will be obvious.

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

Kelly-AnneH
on 2/8/13 2:53 am - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
You're doing just fine. Try smaller sips - 1/4 tsp at a time. That'll make it hurt less. Taking a larger sip, then swallowing it a tiny bit at a time also helped a lot.

I found a straw or glass easier to sip from than a bottle and hot drinks like herbal tea easier than water, but you'll need to experiment to see what works best for you.

Highest 303.4, Surgery 263, Current 217.8, Goal 180

Keywester
on 2/8/13 4:40 am
VSG on 12/05/12

Like everyone has said.  You are doing what you are supposed to be doing.  You are still recovering from the procedure.  Every day gets better.  Just kip sipping so you don't get dehydrated.

Laura

justpete
on 2/8/13 4:40 am
VSG on 04/02/13

just to double check, you are sipping on a whole shake portion, then waiting some, then sipping a whole glass of water right?  not alternating sips of the 2.

Fiona73
on 2/8/13 5:01 am - WA
VSG on 01/22/13

My doc advised against using a straw. You can gulp air which can be uncomfortable.  I'm 2+ weeks post op and haven't used a straw yet.  I thought I would wait a few more weeks.  Right now there is no room for air and liquids.

lynnbabeny
on 2/8/13 5:14 am - VT
VSG on 07/02/12

Just wondering why it would make a difference if op was alternating water and pro drink sips?  I would think that as long as her program allowed protein drinks this early I don't understand why it would matter what order they were taken.

HW-322 (11/11)  SW-276

pineview01
on 2/8/13 5:20 am - Davison, MI

I'm 2.5 weeks out too.  Straws are a no no due to air.  I sipped water for an 1-1.5 hours than sipped protein for .5-1 hour back and forth all day and night.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

deemyers
on 2/8/13 7:20 am
VSG on 02/05/13

I am sipping protein drinks and then alternating it with water, just for variety. I am not using the protein drink as a mean - and I guess that is what I am worried about. Should I be having set times for meals? I have just been concerned with getting something in so long as I am not getting dehydrated.

let me know if I should be having structure here...

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 89 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 306 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 351 views