Okay..NOW what can I Eat going into my third week?

Jodysdreams
on 12/26/12 12:02 pm
Hi Everyone, It's Jody again needing your help. I have my 2 week post op tomorrow, but it's actually been 18 days since surgery..I am really ready to eat real food I think. I have already eaten semi solid food and have had no problems other than some bubbly gas.."sorry".. Now, I know some of you may have harsh words for me, but I feel like I've done very well considering there's been Christmas goodies all around me. I took a nibble here and there and was very careful. For the most part, I felt fine. No issues. but I Am afraid of not doing what I need to do to continue to lose weight.
My question is this, what kind of foods did you start on when you were given the okay to introduce solid foods, and how much we're you able to eat at one sitting? I am already able to eat an entire cup of soup without feeling sick or too full..is this normal?
Please be kind..even though I haven't been perfect.

Jody

SuzyNZ
on 12/26/12 12:46 pm
VSG on 09/17/12
Jody, its very important not to eat anything off-plan this early out. Your stomach takes 3 months to heal fully and is especially delicate for the first 6 weeks. Is eating something bad really worth risking your long term health for?

At 2 weeks out, I was still on liquids only for another week, then purée for another 3 weeks. At 3 months out, I can't eat an entire cup of anything. Im 1/4 - 1/2 a cup max depending on what it is. Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

I urge you to get get in touch with your nutritionist and perhaps a councellor. Im sorry to be so frank, but breaking your diet, eating off plan and risking your tummy this early out should be ringing serious alarm bells for you. There simply isn't scope for compromises during the healing stage of your journey.

Suzy wink (Age: 41, Height: 6'1,  SW: 169.4kg/372lb.  CW: 80.5kg/177lb.  Total lost: 88.9kg/195lbs)

Jodysdreams
on 12/26/12 1:00 pm

Thanks Suzy! I started weighing 188 lbs and I think that maybe my doctor gave me a larger sleeve than some. I have read online that there are 2,4,6 oz sleeves. maybe he gave me a larger sleeve because I wasn't severely overweight? I am going to talk to him tomorrow at my 2 week post op..I appreciate your advice..I need it and welcome the truth..I also think I might need to talk to a counselor about my emotional addiction to food. I already feel like a failure. I hope it's not too late to get on the right track! I want to succeed with this to get rid of my diabetes once and for all...Thank You for sharing..I appreciate it. jody

Jody

SuzyNZ
on 12/26/12 1:23 pm
VSG on 09/17/12
It's never too late, you just have to be 120% committed to your new health and life. If you do acknowledge that you have some emotional food issues, then talking to a counselor about it to help get you on track will be the best investment you make in yourself. I'm a self-pay and I absolutely know this was the best gift I ever gave myself. You CAN do it. You just need to get into the right headspace. VSG is just one of the tools you now have, but getting your head and your relationship with food right is actually more important in your battle

Suzy wink (Age: 41, Height: 6'1,  SW: 169.4kg/372lb.  CW: 80.5kg/177lb.  Total lost: 88.9kg/195lbs)

Jodysdreams
on 12/26/12 2:01 pm

I totally agree with you..the head thing is the hardest! cool...My insurance paid 100% because of my comorbidities of diabetes, kidney and liver disease,,my BMI was under 35 even though I was still overweight by about 60 pounds..I feel like I made the best choice since my doctors told me I could not live much longer on diabetes meds and liver being so sick..they told me this surgery would remedy these problems..so I did it for those reasons more than just weightloss..maybe that is in my head and I'm feeling sorry for myself..I don't know..

Jody

Calking
on 12/26/12 12:51 pm
VSG on 05/31/12

I absolutely cannot recommend you getting to full solid foods this early and I can't even imagine your surgeon's plan says that you can. Your stomach takes at least 6 weeks for it to heal and you are risking way too much to go through your stages way too fast.  

My only advice is to slow down, relax, and show some patience.  You will loose what you need at the right times for your body.  Right now is absolutely too early for you to consider eating solid foods.  It's not that you can't but more that you can cause damage such as leaks since you have an unhealed stomach.

If you feel that I am wrong, then I advise you talk with your surgeon and let him/her give you the go ahead.  I certainly won't.

Sorry for the harsh.  You expected it and got it.  Be very careful about pushing yourself.

Good Luck.

Isn’t it a bit unnerving that doctors call what they do their “practice”?  -  George Carlin             

Jodysdreams
on 12/26/12 1:01 pm

Thank you 

Jody

(deactivated member)
on 12/26/12 1:03 pm

Okay, you haven't been perfect. Since you asked me to be kind, I will be. But, do think about your imperfect behavior this early out.

I got to start soft foods on day 21. My first soft food was a scrambled egg. I was able to eat about half of it and it gave me pretty intense reflux. I found that soft cooked white fish like petrale sole, or tilapia, or cod was far easier for me to eat than an egg. Then I introduced sliced deli turkey into my diet. So until about 6 weeks out I pretty much ate soft fish, turkey, greek yogurt, cottage cheese, ricotta cheese bakes, protein shakes and lots and lots of water.

As for being able to eat a cup of soup. Soup is a liquid and empties out of your sleeve very quickly. If you are eating slowly enough consuming a cup of soup would not be an issue at all - even as early out as you are. Once you are eating dense, solid proteins you will be surprised by just how little you can really eat.

Jodysdreams
on 12/26/12 1:52 pm

Thanks Kairk for understanding. I am thinking about it, that is why I'm reaching out for help..and I look to people like you to be honest enough to tell me the truth..Thank You..

Jody

Machelle.K
on 12/26/12 1:33 pm - WA
VSG on 11/06/12

I was on purees for the 3rd and 4th week, and then and now cannot exceed a 1/2 cup of anything. I usually can't eat the whole 1/2 cup and I'm 8 weeks out.

Machelle 11/6/2012 with Dr. Houseworth WA

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 86 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 298 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 346 views