Question on iced tea

lisa06810
on 1/5/13 10:36 am - NH
Revision on 04/12/14 with

So I don't have the sleeve yet, and understand that once I do, I won't ever be able to have a diet pepsi again, ever, never. Yikes!  But I have a question about iced tea. I usually get a large or a medium at dunkin donuts, with 2 lemon and either 1 or 2 splendas, depending on the size. Will this ever be allowed?  Anyone know?   I'd even be happy with a small with maybe half a splenda but not sure about tea/caffine. 

loulou1969
on 1/5/13 10:40 am

My doc says no caffeine, carbonation, or calories in your drinks.  I still drin**** tea.  I buy decaf tea and make it at home.

LouLou

JAlston
on 1/5/13 10:44 am
VSG on 12/07/12

Definitely depends on your surgeon's/nutrition's plan and if they allow caffeine. Most likely they won't allow it in the beginning. Some vets drink caffeine after weight loss. My nutritionist said caffeine dehydrates you which is why that is a no-no. I gave up diet pepsi in April as a preparation for VSG and had surgery 4 weeks ago and haven't felt better and don't miss diet pepsi. Believe me, it is worth it.

Also not sure if DD offers decaf tea...but if they do, you could do that. I can't taste a difference in reg/decaf tea....coffee is a different story.

Jessica  

(HW: 305)  (SW: 271.9) (33.1 lbs lost prior to surgery) (MsJexi on MFP)

PoohHag
on 1/5/13 10:51 am - TN
VSG on 06/11/12

As long as you're getting in your 64 oz or more of water, iced tea occasionally is fine on my plan.  I've been told to limit caffeine to once a day max.  Don't make it a habit, but maybe a treat once in a while.  Caffeine makes you hungrier, so it's not a good idea too often.

As to diet Pepsi, you'll be okay.  You won't want it if you ever try it again.  The bubbles will make you want to die!  Some people do go back to an occasional can after a year or so, but it's a bad idea while your stomach is at it's smallest.  

(deactivated member)
on 1/5/13 10:55 am

Caffeine does not dehydrate, that is a myth.  I drink coffee every single day and I drink tea all day long.  I love ice tea in the Summer and Hot tea in the Winter and (gasp) at three years out, I even have some carbonated seltzer water once in a rare while.  I certainly would not have had it the first year, and even now, I only drink it when my stomach is empty and really not often at all.  Soda was never a habit of mine and so it is just not a trigger for me, I could have a few sips here and there and it does nothing to me.  If it was a trigger, I would stay away from it for life as it is really bad for you on many levels.  My life at 3.5 years out is really quite normal in just about every way possible. 

Early out, I would not have caffeine, because it is acidic and it can slow weight loss or so Ruggie mentioned once, and he is the house genius.  You can find his reply to another post about this same issue a few days back.  Honestly, if it triggers more hunger for you, I would stop, otherwise, I was just fine with it after about six weeks.  Do ask your doctor and go with their plan, but this is my truth.

lisa06810
on 1/5/13 10:59 am - NH

Thanks,  I have no problem with ice water, its what I usually drink at home, unless I'm snacking, then its with the diet pepsi. That wont be happening in the future, but I still love my iced tea. I don't know if the do decaf iced tea. I'll have to ask. It just doesnt seem like there will be much to drink without soda or the tea, but I know thats just something that I'll have to get used to.

cheermom4kc
on 1/5/13 11:04 am

My dietician said I could have it.  She told me the only reason they don't want you to have caffeine is that it is a natural diuretic.  She said since I already drink so much it should affect me anyway.  I also drink my tea with Splenda and lemon.

Keith L.
on 1/5/13 11:11 am - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

That should be fine. The caffeine in iced tea is relatively low compared to coffee. The lemon is good. You would be better to make it yourself than to get it at DD, too many temptations there plus they never clean their iced tea pots very well.

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

Gymnopedie
on 1/5/13 11:43 am

Tea of all kinds is fine for me, according to my nut.

lisa06810
on 1/5/13 12:12 pm - NH

The other temtations at dunkins really don't bother me. Been doing weigh watchers for months in case thats what insurance required (turns out they dont require supervised diets) but never really been tempted by dunkins goodies. My downfalls is chips/salty/savory stuff. I can get my iced tea with no other temptations.   Some of the local dunkins tea does taste nasty, but the one closest to me really does make it great.  Once I get to the appt to meet with the PA/NUT i'll definatley ask, but just kinda wanted a heads up. 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 65 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 249 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 317 views