My problem with protein...not carbs

sheranfour
on 1/19/13 9:03 pm

Hi guys!

Been a busy week for me...and really missed the board. I was just catching up and read the discussions recently on carbs. So great to learn all the different angles to this, since my surgeon and NUT don't focus on that...they advocate a "5 and 5" rule, being not to eat anything with more than 5grm fat or 5 grm sugar. They don't "count" fruits or veggies...just processed food. I stay away from processed food ( except and occasional treat of 12 reduced fat wheat thins)...and so far my wgt loss is fine.

BUT I am finding that I, on occasion will graze on protein. I eat very basic...2.5 oz bare protein (chick, lean beef,fish) for most meals. This weekend I find that I've actually been grazing on it. Making dinner last night, I had 2 jumbo shrimp...then a piece of cheese...then 2 more shrimp. Then we sat down to dinner a half hour later and had my 2.5 oz of scallops. then I had a bite of my hubbys steak.

I feel so guilt ridden today. This may not be "bad" food...but it's not my PLANNED food. I feel the craving already today...becuse I'm hosting a football party here and making a turkey dinner. I think I even had dreams about just diving headfirst into the turkey!!

I have no desire for the carbs ...but the protein!! Yikes!!!

I guess writing this out here is my attempt to take responsibility for this out of control feeling and check it before I put anything in my mouth today. Thanks for listening!!!

Peace,

~Deb

Not MY will, but HIS. Not MY time, but HIS.    
Lynnegetsbrave
on 1/19/13 9:13 pm

I found myself grazing a bit and resorted to setting an alarm on my phone and planning when I would eat.  That really worked for me although it may seem a little regimental...it helped me be on track with eating at the right times.  It also made me aware of whether I am hungry.  This has now made getting my dense protein in a little easier.  Good Luck...you can do it!!

Nancybefree
on 1/19/13 9:19 pm
VSG on 11/21/12

Do you log everything you eat and drink somehow, on MFP or in some other way?

5'8"    HRW 357 on 7/09/12    SW 339   >196 8/26/13 (surgeon's goal)   TWL  193     CW   164 

*:•-:¦:-•:*1st pers. goal 178 on 10/16/13; ultimate goal 164 on 12/13/13*:•-:¦:-•:* 

becks856
on 1/19/13 10:22 pm

I am preop, but would this be a bad thing.  I would think a bite of protein like turkey, steak, etc.  here and there throughout the day would be OK.  Am i wrong?

Keith L.
on 1/20/13 2:16 am - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

Its only a bad thing in that you are doing nothing to help your eating misbehavior. If you do not consciously curb your grazing behavior it may continue into your post-op life. You should eat on a schedule and have complete meals at meal time. Eating when you are "hungry" or when something looks or sounds good is the behavior that got you to where you are today.

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

Keith L.
on 1/19/13 11:40 pm - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12
Did you transfer your food addiction to food? It might be telling you something. Could your iron be low? That is a big problem with women. It may just be telling you to eat more red meat and not necessarily just meat.

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

sheranfour
on 1/20/13 12:00 am

Hmm.

Never thought of that. I am due for blood work next week...I'll call my Doc. I will say, that bite of steak did end the grazing last night...so you may have hit it on the head. Thanks Keith!!

Kelly-AnneH
on 1/20/13 12:49 am - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
Grazing is a problem, no matter what you're grazing on. Are you logging your food somehow and tracking your protein? If you're doing that and your protein intake at meals is over 70-80 grams then you need to just stop the grazing habit and maybe drink more or chew gum instead.

If you find that your protein is on the low side, find a way to add protein to your meals and planned snacks rather than nibbling.

Grazing is one of the many things involved in getting us to the point of needing surgery, and allowing the habit to continue will make keeping the weight off in the long run more difficult.

Highest 303.4, Surgery 263, Current 217.8, Goal 180

sheranfour
on 1/20/13 4:03 am

Thanks for your input

Grazing is not an issue for me. I grazed yesterday for the first time, and was aware when I was doing it...and my protein was low prior...this was my rationalization. I still feel guilty abt it as guilt is who I am...but I'd rather feel guilty and upset abt not planning well yesterday than rationalizing that it is OK...becuase it's not.

I log every day...every bite...actully the day before, so that when I wake up the next day...no matter my mood...I already have a plan. Yesterday was a fluke day...just will not allow that to happen again...

No Gum on my plan...my surgeon is strictly against it.

Thanks

Peace

~Deb

KnitsByMama
on 1/20/13 1:14 am - MO
VSG on 10/16/12

I find that it takes me so long to finish a portion of food or a protein shake that I am constantly eating no matter what. It feels like food is MORE a focus now than it was before surgery. I feel like I'm constantly eating. If I don't I don't meet my goals & I get very weak if I don't have protein of some sort every 2hrs. If you are going to eat, protein is the best for you to eat though. 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 89 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 304 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 350 views