Just one glass of wine?

nmrudge
on 1/24/13 11:44 pm - IL
VSG on 12/10/12

So I have a wedding this weekend and the thought of having a glass of wine with dinner has crossed my mind.  I'm 7 weeks out and as of this morning, I'm 37 lbs down since surgery and a total of 62 lbs down all together.  I wasn't much of a drinker before hand.  Only special occasions or on a hot day, if I'm working outside, I might have a cold beer.  So I'm not worried about drinking becoming a problem.  I won't drink a beer because of the carbonation and I don't like liquor.  A nice (small) glass of red wine sounds nice though. Other than consuming empty calories, what's the harm in have a glass?  Are there medical risks?  Just curious if anyone has had a drink this soon out and how it went.  Thanks  

Edit Delete

Keywester
on 1/24/13 11:48 pm
VSG on 12/05/12

We are pretty close in surgery dates.  I had a couple of sips of a glass of wine last Saturday.  It didn't effect me at all.  But there is the empty calorie thing.  If you have worked out that day I would think it would be okay.  But I'm no expert.

Laura

nmrudge
on 1/25/13 12:03 am - IL
VSG on 12/10/12

Thanks! That was my thinking as well.  I checked with the hotel and they have workout equipment.  So I was planning to workout anyway. 

Edit Delete

dmhe
on 1/24/13 11:58 pm - TX
My surgeon said no alcohol until 3 months out, your stomach is still healing, why risk it? I did drink at 3 months but then once I saw the calorie count, I was back out until I hit my personal goal. I am 6 months out and may take a sip to taste a new wine but no glasses of my own, not yet.

dmhe
on 1/25/13 12:00 am - TX
Almost forgot, you said wine with dinner...um no, no liquids 30 mins before or after eating.

Shagdoll
on 1/25/13 12:11 am, edited 1/25/13 12:11 am

I would check with your surgeon to find out when it's ok to have alcohol.  My surgeon told me to wait 1 year.  I know it seems harmless to drink a small glass of wine here & there but there is always a chance of a transfer addiction that we don't plan.  It's just always best to stick to our doctor's plan because the sooner we start to re-introduce foods & drinks back into our diet that are not considered "on plan", the stronger chance we will start to eat foods & consume drinks that can hinder our weight loss later on.  Just proceed with caution if you decide to have a drink.  I'm just speaking from experience because I had my 1st drink at 9 months post-op & it started to become a transfer addiction for me.  I have since discovered Starbucks Iced Coffee so that is my new transfer addiction & a lot less calories since it's just the splash of nonfat milk I add to it with a few squirts of SF Vanilla syrup. kiss

Jenn  

WWBD?  

Ms Shell
on 1/25/13 12:19 am - Hawthorne, CA

The "harm" it'll hit you like a ton of bricks and pass out?  Or it won't and you'll be fine?  Or it'll hit you a little?  No medical risks that I know of.

Ms Shell

"WLS is only for people who are ready to move past the "diet" mentality" ~Alison Brown
"WLS is not a Do-Over (repeat same mistakes = get a similar outcome.)  It is a Do-BETTER (make lifestyle changes you can continue forever.)" ~ Michele Vicara aka Eggface

jolenecsky
on 1/25/13 12:29 am - Franklin, KY
VSG on 08/15/12

I had a glass of wine 4 weeks out. But then I have always been a rebel! But my surgeon is very proud of my progress and told my sister (who also got the surgery a couple months later) to do whatever I am doing!! (haha, he didn't know about the glass of wine though!) I think you just have to be very careful and take small sips at first to make sure you're going to be ok. Alcohol doesn't effect me any differently than before, but I have heard that it usually effects you more after. 

DOS: 8/15/12

maggienoella
on 1/25/13 12:41 am, edited 1/25/13 8:45 am
If you feel like you really have to have it to feel like you are not depriving yourself, try a little. Otherwise skip it. Better than cake.

I don't remember the first time I had alcohol after surgery but it was a cheap thrill. 😛I felt the effects quickly & the effect wore off just as fast.
shajoh
on 1/25/13 1:13 am - Cleburne, TX
VSG on 11/27/12

My husband had a drink about a month after his surgery. I'd never seen him drunk in 29 years together. That night he said he was drunk with just 1 drink. Be careful. Take it easy. Don't drive & only 1 if you must. 

Sharla

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 137 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 400 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 427 views