I'm afraid I wont be successful even after surgery!

kelsan2525
on 2/5/13 1:07 am

I'm about six weeks from my surgery date and I'm trying to lose weight (low carb).  It's been really hard.  Which has got me thinking that I still won't be able to do it after VSG.  Most VSGers eat a low carb diet, but it's so hard for me to stick to it prior to surgery.

Did you guys have these fears too?

fattoprettydee
on 2/5/13 1:15 am - MI

i have the same fears, my surgery is on march 26th. it has been postponed due to my crohn's illness. also i am gaining weight because the meds they have me on make you gain weight.but they will be stopped at the time of surgery.

kelsan2525
on 2/5/13 1:19 am

Oh, no -  are you in a flair?  I have colitis and it's been kicking my butt lately.  I hope you feel better soon and have a successful surgery.

Keith L.
on 2/5/13 1:17 am - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

That is a natural reaction, particularly since most of us have tried every diet under the sun and "failed". The difference is that this is not a diet. There is not try it and give up after a couple of days/weeks. This is a lifestyle change. Can you fail? Yes but if you stick to your Dr.'s plan you will be successful.

I would recommend taking advantage of your time with a therapist talking about your food issues. Get to the bottom of why you eat and what triggers you to eat bad foods. I would also spend time with your nutritionist to find foods that you can easily prepare that you are comfortable with so that you will be successful.

Those are two very important factors and are critical to your success. If you think you are going to have your surgery and just eat the healthiest thing you can find at McDonalds or Burger King, you are probably not going to be very successful.

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

kelsan2525
on 2/5/13 1:24 am

I completely get what you're saying.  I think my issues are 1. I have unrealistic expectations for diets and switch a lot (I call it diet ADHD) and 2. I don't plan ahead and just eat whatever is easiest and ready now; not the most healthy foods.

Keith L.
on 2/5/13 1:30 am - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

You will want to change that. I spend Sunday cooking for the week. All of my lunches and some of my dinners. Its very easy having all my lunches ready to go and I can just grab one container and head out the door. You will want to plan ahead.

As for your expectations, I think this surgery is what you make of it. You can certainly cheat your sleeve and gain weight. If you sit around eating ice cream every 20 minutes you will gain weight. If you eat a low carb diet and stick to your program, incorporate some exercise, you will be successful. This is a blog post I wrote for new people here, you might find it useful:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/keithleslie/blog/2013/01/0 4/wls-is-a-tool---not-the-solution---its-all-up-to-you-/

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

kelsan2525
on 2/5/13 1:52 am

Thanks Keith - I'm going to try your tip on preparing food ahead of time.  I think that will be very helpful.  I'll also check out your blog. 

Nancybefree
on 2/5/13 3:33 am
VSG on 11/21/12

Thanks for the link, Keith.  I hadn't read that before.  I'm glad I've read it now. 

5'8"    HRW 357 on 7/09/12    SW 339   >196 8/26/13 (surgeon's goal)   TWL  193     CW   164 

*:•-:¦:-•:*1st pers. goal 178 on 10/16/13; ultimate goal 164 on 12/13/13*:•-:¦:-•:* 

maggienoella
on 2/5/13 1:22 am
Don't forget, too, that your capacity will be much less than now.
It will be ok. As long as you eat protein, low carb & drink water, you will lose.
Good luck!
(deactivated member)
on 2/5/13 1:23 am

Keith is right on every point here.  The VSG will make it much easier for you to stay on plan in the beginning, what you do with that time is crucial for your long term success.  If you use it to learn new, healthy habits and strategies, you will do just fine,  If you choose to just coast until the VSG stops doing most of the work for you, you will regain the weight. 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 90 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 311 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 359 views