After surgery protein shakes. Please discuss.

Meagle1190
on 2/10/13 6:05 am

I guess I'm a little confused on how this protein shake thing is going to work after surgery. I'm sure it's different for everybody, but how many grams of protein do you have to get in after surgery? My fear is that I won't want, or will have a difficult time getting the protein shakes down. I am on day 5 of my two week pre op diet and have lost 11 lbs. I am still struggling to  find something I like though. The thought, taste, and smell of protein shakes make me gag. Nasty! So... How does it work!? How do you do it?! :/

Miranda 

happyteacher
on 2/10/13 9:32 am

Keep trying, because seriously without protein supplement it will be very difficult early out to get your protein in.  Here is what I did at first:

1.  HME 70 shakes, blended with water and ice cubes and a shot of Torani sugar free syrup.  Tasty, but pricey.

2.  Unflavored whey- I added it to greek yogurt to boost protein.  

3.  Isopure plus- drinks like koolaid.  A lot lighter to get down then a thicker shake, and all the calories are from protein.  Used these a lot in the first 2 months.  

4.  Chocolate whey added to coffee- makes a nice mocha.  This really disguises the protein powder too, so give that a try.

5.  Vanilla protein whey powder, sugar free jello pudding, water, and ice blended with Torani to taste.  Quite good.

6.  Protein hot chocolate.

7.  Protein cream of chicken soup.   

Play around with the temperature of the shakes- blended with the ice, or powder put in hot liquids.  This could make a big difference for you.  Keep trying.  It is important. 

Oh, I was told to get 85 grams of protein (40 during the first 2 weeks).  By the end of the second month I was consistently over 100.  By 4 months over 120 consistently.  I do believe it had a big factor in my getting to goal.  

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Meagle1190
on 2/10/13 9:40 am

Thank you so much!! Your advice is much appreciated. I have played around with mixing vanilla whey protein to different things and I will continue to do so. I just ordered some unflavored protein from unjury and chicken noodle from unjury. I have the isopure drinks, but honestly think they taste like cardboard. Haha. :) every bodies taste buds are different, I get that. 

Do you only have to get in 40grams of protein weeks 1-2 after surgery? 

Miranda 

smallboned1
on 2/10/13 9:33 am - CA

I was sleeved on 1/29/13. I'm still on the liquid stage until Tuesday.I use premier protein , 30 grams of protein per carton which I bought from Costco. I like the chocolate chilled.

moonglo82
on 2/10/13 9:38 am
VSG on 03/29/12

What Happyteacher said. 

As far as the amount of protein, my doctor wanted me to get in a bare minimum of 60 grams a day, but my personal goal was more like 75.  Most days I get in 80-100 grams of protein at this point. 

You really need to keep trying to find a protein that will work for you in the long run.  Which ones have you tried so far?

Highest weight: 277 Starting Weight: 250  Surgery Weight: 241  Current Weight: 130

Goal Reached in 10.5 months :)

Meagle1190
on 2/10/13 9:45 am

Glycerna hunger smart, flurry chocolate (this wasn't too bad), whey protein powder vanilla, isopure (4 different favors), slim fast (chocolate royal is okay, strawberry is awful), Special K (chocolate-not good at all), there were a few more but I can't think of them at the moment. I JUST ordered some unjury and I also picked up some nectar samples at the vitamin shop today. Praying those will be great! 

Miranda 

moonglo82
on 2/10/13 9:57 am
VSG on 03/29/12

The special k doesn't have enough protein to do you much good anyways... what brand of whey protein powder?  I've learned that they're not all created equal, and some flavors are better in general.  For me, chocolate ones are almost always better than vanilla.  Body Fortress, which is available at Wal mart, has a chocolate peanut butter flavor that some here seem to like.  I've never tried it, but the chocolate one with a little skim milk is pretty good.  I never had any luck with the isopures either... hated them.  Most of the slim fasts do not have enough protein for the calories, but there are a few flavors that are labeled "high protein" that have about 20 grams of protein per serving if I remember correctly... those might be okay. 

Also, someone else mentioned the premier drinks... those were a life saver for me early out.  You can get them at Sam's or Costco, and a friend of mine found them at a Kroger in the Atlanta area today, although they were pretty pricey at Kroger. 

Highest weight: 277 Starting Weight: 250  Surgery Weight: 241  Current Weight: 130

Meagle1190
on 2/10/13 10:10 am

Thank you! I'll have to try the premier drinks. I'm hoping and praying I fall in love with the nectar or unjurys that I bought today. We shall see.... I really appreciate all the feedback! 

Miranda 

moonglo82
on 2/10/13 10:15 am
VSG on 03/29/12

No problem :)  You'll figure it out... just don't give up.  Good luck!

shajoh
on 2/10/13 10:54 am - Cleburne, TX
VSG on 11/27/12

My nut said the Special K & Slim Fast have too many carbs. She said to limit them to 20 carbs or less. 

Sharla

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 127 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 365 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 410 views