worried - why do I feel like it might not work for me?

deemyers
on 2/19/13 7:14 am
VSG on 02/05/13

I am 14 days post op and down 15 pounds. Still on full liquids and learning how to work around that food group (hee hee). This sounds silly I know, but I feel like maybe this isn't going to work for me. Its a little frustrating, since I did go through hell to be where I am out now. I am hopeful, but what if I only go down 15 pounds and then..thats it? I am not worried about the plan, there is no question I will follow it, but what if by some damn fluke of nature it wont happen? I know its dumb but its this voice in the back of my head saying...."you might be the fluke that this surgery doesn't work for."

Calking
on 2/19/13 7:22 am
VSG on 05/31/12

I have never had any doubts because the math is in your favor.  Statistically if you follow the plan and do what you are supposed to without cheating it will work.  The proof is in this forum.  I am a math teacher and as I said with the random sample provided by this board and my surgeon as well as at least four others I spoke with ... you will succeed.  

Also you are getting close to that three week stall.  Most all of us will stall at three weeks out.  You can stall a bit earlier than that or a bit later than that.  Again statistics say you are about due for the stall.  Usually before a stall things slow down.  It is a cycle of all things fantastic.  You come out of surgery and loose quickly.  Things slow down.  You stall (greatest thing ever as your weight redistributes and you loose inches during the stall ... make sure you are measuring things so you can see the inches fall off).  After the stall things kick into high gear again.  Then they will slow down and you will stall ... and so on.  

So statistically you are well within the normal range of what happens to all of us.  Hope this helps.

Isn’t it a bit unnerving that doctors call what they do their “practice”?  -  George Carlin             

Shagdoll
on 2/19/13 7:25 am

You've lost 15 pounds in 14 short days.  That is nothing short of amazing!  Most of us cannot drop that kind of weight on a diet alone.  I lost 18 pounds in my first 3 weeks then stalled for the next 3 weeks but then the weight slowly but surely came off and now I'm 125 pounds lighter.  I think a lot of us think this surgery wont work for us because no diet has ever worked for us.  I could lose the weight but never keep it off.  The sleeve is just the tool that most of us need to succeed as long as we put the effort and do our part.  You are a success if you make yourself a success.  You can do this, you are doing it already!!!

Jenn  

WWBD?  

Machelle.K
on 2/19/13 7:33 am - WA
VSG on 11/06/12

Your head is play head games. Mine too says this all the time, “that’s it you’re not losing any more” or “it’s not possible to lose to meet your goal.” But eat time the scale moves lower I’m retraining my brain (I hope)! See there it goes again…The doctors didn’t do surgery on our heads so the brains got to catch up and from what I’ve read on OH this may take some time. Be patient and kind to yourself…You’ve done awesome already!!!broken heart

Machelle 11/6/2012 with Dr. Houseworth WA

mary d
on 2/19/13 7:34 am

You have a sleeve, not a lapband, it's gonna work!  You say you will follow the plan, the rest will happen.  Following the plan is the hardest part.  Do that and just wait for the results.

Lap Band 2006  

VSG 2008

grannymedic1
on 2/19/13 8:11 am - Lake Odessa, MI
Revision on 08/21/12

I suddenly had the same thought after I got my lap band. I was wrong, it did work because I worked it. It is the same with the sleeve, this is a tool and you will be doing the work of changing your lifetime eating habits. The success is in your hands and I believe you will do just fine.

Highest weight: 212.8 Current weight 135 Lost 77.8 pounds

newme4now
on 2/19/13 8:31 am, edited 2/19/13 8:31 am

You can do it.  Hang in there and change those negatives to positives thoughts and energy.  My surgery date is Feb 28th and my weight has been the one issue I haven't ever been able to overcome.  Yes the yo-yo dieting and lost to gain all and then some back. So I have been worrying about the same issues as you and I haven't even had my surgery yet.  YIKES!!!  Positive thoughts, good energy, prayers, and believe in ourselves as we are worth it.

Mikka   

VS on 02/2/2013 by Dr. Michael Lee    SW  298    HW  333    CW  198    GW 160

forget YESTERDAY, live for TODAY, TOMORROW will take care of itself

HilaryH8103
on 2/19/13 8:38 am - WA
You read my mind!! I feel the same EXACT way. What if by some fluke we're that one in a million it doesn't work on. That would be terrible, wouldn't it? But you're not, you've already lost weight. You're doing great. Instead think what if by some fluke I make it to my goal faster than anyone & I am that one person out of a million who has the easiest time keeping the weight off for good. Now that's a much better way of thinking.

Dream Big & it will become your reality!!

XO,
Hilary
Keith L.
on 2/19/13 8:47 am - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12
I felt the same way and 5 months later I am down 118 lbs and just got back from the gym sitting down to eat a thai beef salad. It works but it isn't the thing that has to work. It is you that has to work. It isn't easy. It isn't sit back and wait for it to kick in. It is all what you make of it. Check out my OH Blog, I have a posting there about it. At the end of the day it is all up to you and it is not easy but very much worth it.

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

JenniferRN
on 2/19/13 10:12 am - NJ
VSG on 01/22/13 with

Thanks Keith, you always have such great things to say and they ALWAYS encourage me!  Congrats on your continued success. I am going to look up your blog as I am sure there will be more great tips there. I am only 4 weeks into this journey and have had the same thoughts and worries about it not working for me. I have worked very hard so far and am in this for the long haul.  Thanks again for your encouragement. 

JEn

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 46 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 46 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 202 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 286 views