This is so hard!

nmcmanus66
on 6/24/13 6:05 am - CA

If anyone tells you this is a magic bullet they lied! I am 5 months post surgery and know this is going to be a lifelong battle for me. i love all the wrong foods, i worry constantly about stretching my stomach and ruining the surgery, i have lost weight about 40lbs so far, but haven't lost but a few pounds in the last 3 months.

MichelleLarra
on 6/24/13 6:18 am - NY

What are you eating?  My nutritionist told me to completely stay away from any carbs at all.  I thought she was nuts because honestly I find that's really hard to do.  I had started eating 1 Laughing Cow Light Cheese and 3 multigrain crackers as a snack and once in a while I would have a slice of whole wheat toast.  Since I have stopped any form of carbs I find that the weight is easier to come off.  But don't get discouraged I'm a lot of people on here have instances when their weight is not coming off.  It's your body getting used to everything. 

Jackie T.
on 6/24/13 6:22 am, edited 6/24/13 6:22 am - KS
VSG on 12/19/12

I am sorry you are struggling and also if someone told you that this was a magic bullet!  It is only a tool to make it easier to get the weight off and you are right that you will need to monitor your weight for a long time to be successful long term.

There are things that will help your journey but you can not eat just anything you want and be successful.  If you are interested on getting on track and starting to lose again, there is some information that we need to help you.

Are you tracking your food everyday?  How much protein, carbs and calories are you eating each day?  Are you drinking your water and if so how much?  Are you doing any exercise?  What wrong foods are you eating?

I don't ask these things to judge you but to try to help you if you want the help.  If you get in the habit of logging your food and eating a target calorie range and protein range, it will become easier. 

Highest Weight: 285 SW: 264.6 CW:163.1   Surgeon's GW: 189  PCP's GW: 165-170  

My GW:  154   MFP:  jteaford                  

nmcmanus66
on 6/24/13 6:32 am - CA

i have somewhat fallen off the wagon, i take my vitamins, i try and get in all my water daily and usually do not succeed 100%, i slip in carbs here and there, i am not consistent with my exercise, i'm already sick of all the protein i've been eating so far. i'm so freaked out that i'm going to stretch my stomach and at the same time i feel like i'm grabbing for the wrong foods. i think counseling might work for me? anyone do that?

Keith L.
on 6/24/13 7:07 am - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

I think you know the problem, its hard to face it sometimes. Slipping things in and being lax with your plan will ultimately get you. When you see the vets that are super successful, they stick to their plan 95% and slip up 5% and they log EVERYTHING. If you do that you can look and maybe make some small livable tweeks to get you moving in the right direction. Slipping in carbs stops ketosis which is how ketogenic diets get you to lose the body fat. Just eating low calorie is not enough, low carb forces your body to turn to fat for fuel. Otherwise you are really more in a maintenance mode and not a fat burning mode.

Counselling might work for you, but if you stick to your plan you know it will work. 

Are you exercising?

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

claimmaster
on 6/24/13 9:48 am - OK
VSG on 07/05/13

I am pre-op and have been in counseling for months.  I plan on continueing to be in counseling for as long as I need it...which may be forever.  I think it's the most important part of this journey for me.

Jane

Starting weight: 320       Goal weight: 145      Surgery Weight: 298      Current weight: 215         Check out my blog at www.thebariatricvegan.com

Weight loss month 1-22  2-13  3-12  4-16  5-4  6-0  7-7  8-6

Shagdoll
on 6/24/13 6:46 am, edited 6/24/13 6:52 am

This WL journey is for the pitts, I ain't gonna lie ... BUT we can make the best of what we have to work with & it doesn't have to be so horrible or scary.  We can make it the best we can but we have to want to.

I know it's easier for some but I'm gonna be honest ... it kinda haunts me every day.  After a lifetime of being overweight to a certain point & how I allowed myself to eat whatever I wanted for the past previous 38 years, I have had to make a very conscience effort to really watch what I eat to keep most of the weight off that I lost with my surgery.  I've fallen off the wagon many a times but I keep getting back up.  If we really want this, we just have to work it the best way we can.  I know it helps me to eat the most savoring & enjoyable VSG friendly foods I can think of to keep me satisfied and to keep me from straying too often.  It will take time but if we keep working at it, we are bound to keep seeing progress. 

So you are 5 months out, lost about 40 pounds but only just a few pounds in the past 3 months?  So you really feel like you have only lost weight the first couple of months?  I know that seems discouraging but it's not too late.  You will have to make some changes though if you haven't already.  Do you have a good support system with you family & friends?  Do you seek therapy or feel you can benefit from it?  Have you seen your doctor/surgeon for check ups?  Maybe you can talk to them or a NUT for some suggestions.

I wish you the best & keep posting on these boards for encouragement & support. 

Jenn  

WWBD?  

(deactivated member)
on 6/24/13 7:41 am

You are 100% right.  This is a life long battle for most of us and there is nothing magic about it. I too love all the wrong foods and worrying about stretching your stomach is not actually helping you not to stretch it.  I am not being a smart a$$, I am telling you that you are right, this is really hard.  So now you have a choice; give up or do the really hard thing and get back on a strict program.  If you are not doing it already, start journaling every bite, keep your calories around 600-800 a day and your carbs under 40 grams.  Keep your protein at 80 or more and drink like a fish.  You are not too late to this party, but the train is leaving the station, here take my hand and jump up, the destination is worth the hardship.  You can do this, I know you can.

southbay311
on 6/25/13 7:27 am - NV
RNY on 02/22/12

This is certainly a lifelong war.....we were out of control in our lives leading up to surgery, it is a battle every day.  Some are easier then others and exercise is a part of the process.  It's not easy but it is worth the effort if you follow a good plan that works for you.  I have found that walking 30-40 minutes a day is good for me.  With the summer getting warmer here in the desert I'm sure I will have to find an alternative.  Toning bands and dvds will probably be the option of choice.  I still have a protein drink in the morning mixed in my coffee and that works perfectly for me.  I am 16 months out now and it is a program I still follow.  I have my coffee with Pure Protein Chocolate frosty mixed in it and it tastes like Keurig's Cafe Mocha. A sidenote: However the brew temp with the Keurig isn't hot enough so I make a couple cups in my Mr Coffee.  It dissolves so much better and add a bit of creamer and stir well. I truly look forward to it. This is what works for me!

Lunch is usually fruit or a few ounces of protein chicken or ham.

Dinner is veggies soup with either chicken or beef a piece of multigran bread and 4 whole wheat crackers (saltines.) chili or a piece of meat about 3-4 ounces and a veggie...I love the Smart One spaghetti or chicken parm....there are plenty of choices out there, find what works for you and best of luck. 

PS I even have 2 oatmeal cookies every so often or trail mix with raisins and nuts...sweet and salty.  You can do this, it is balance and doing what works for you

Good luck friend

Nance

H/W 326   S/W 287                                                                                     GW 145                                                      
nmcmanus66
on 6/25/13 7:41 am - CA

i really appreciate the feedback. i didn't want a sugar coated answer and you all gave me what i needed. a gentle kick in the axx!!

i took my scale back out so i can remember to weight my food..i have a pitcher of lemonade ready to drink...the pool is heated and i have a swim cap for my hair now (don't want to ruin waste the $$ spent on processing) so i have no excuses except the ones i make which aren't valid. thank you all so much for reminding me of what i need to do xoxo

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 127 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 364 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 409 views