I have failed my sleeve and need to get back on track

ready2Bhealthy2
on 6/26/13 6:45 am, edited 6/26/13 7:03 am

HW: 286

SW: 269

LW: 213

CW 238

My stats suck.  I lost 56 pounds from having surgery.  Yes that's great, but not at all what I was hoping for.  I had surgery in Oct 2011 and was what most call a slow loser.  I did great and was working out, but in March of 2012 my Potassium and Iron spiraled out of control and I had to have transfusions every other day for about a month.  This was due to my not consuming enough food.  I was instructed to eat more and take my vitamins.  I continued to do well.  In June of 2012 I had my first arthroscopic knee surgery followed by the other knee being done in Dec 2012.  I also started going back to school in fall of 2012.  Now today I am disgusted by myself.  I have gained weight and feel like the biggest loser ever.  My ortho doc actually asked me today if I have ever considered WLS.  WTF??? I already had it.  Yep mega failure!  I know I'm having a pitty party right now, but I do want to fix this.  I want to be at 200lbs by the end of the year and sooner if possible.  Please remind me what exactly to eat, what exactly to stay away from, and any recommendations for limited impact exercises are welcomed as well. 

Shagdoll
on 6/26/13 7:13 am

From what you have stated, you have had some setbacks but even I refuse to say I failed my sleeve.  I have kept over 100 pounds off but have had some challenges lately...

The most effective plan for most I would think is limited your calories the best way you can while still consuming 80 grams of protein, carbs under 40 grams while drinking at least 8-10 cups of water & getting in some exercise. 

This worked for me when I was in my losing phase.  Now that I decided I need to be in weight loss mode again, I need to follow these guidelines.   Focus on dense proteins to keep you full, drink plenty of water in between meals to keep the snack monster at bay.  The further out we get, obviously gets a little harder but we can do it.  I have nothing but faith in us to keep succeeding.

Best of luck to you!!!

Jenn  

WWBD?  

ready2Bhealthy2
on 6/26/13 8:04 am

Thank you so much for your reply.  Over 100 people read my post, but you were the only one to reply.  I was hoping this board hadn't turned it's back on me.  I am starting fresh tomorrow.  Going back to exactly what you said.  I will do my best to update you and the board as to my success.  I think a big part of that will be staying committed to posting on here on a regular basis.  Thanks again.

Shagdoll
on 6/26/13 8:27 am

Maybe the lurkers just thought my post was perfect & didn't feel the need to rely  ... (yeah right) kiss

Definitely keep posting, I know it helps me. 

Jenn  

WWBD?  

Jennifer L.
on 6/26/13 8:39 am - Dayton, OH
VSG on 07/10/13 with

I am afraid I am one of the people *****ad it without a reply. I am still pre-op, so in this case I was thinking I didn't have the proper advice to help. (I think that may have been the case for many others as well). From what I noticed...these people never turn their backs to you unless you do it first! You're in good hands and I know you will get more responses from people was more experienced than I (I dont think day 1 of my pre-op diet will qualify for me advice). 

I can't offer advice but I can offer some good ol' fashion cheerleading! You can do it!! It is never to late to get things going again! You haven't failed until you have given up, so just keep going! 

HW: 275 SW: 265 CW: 200 GW: 135 Month 1: -25 Month 5: -65lbs total
On the fence about self-pay options and if Mexico is the right choice (or scared of that option)? Let my experience (first time ever in Mexico) be your guide. Don't let fear hold you back!

Instagram

"You make me new, you are making me new" Gungor

ready2Bhealthy2
on 6/26/13 11:35 am

Thanks.  That was a great point.  Don't be afraid to offer to be a cheerleader anytime.  Thank you!

happyteacher
on 6/26/13 11:40 am

If you read posts around here with any regularity than you would know that I prefer a more balanced approach (not super low carb, low calorie).  I think though this would be an instance where this approach may make some sense for you though.  Has your doctor or Nut ever tried to determine specifically what caused you to be a slow loser?  Do you track religiously and EVERYTHING you eat to be absolutely certain you are eating the calories you think you are eating?  I ask only because I know how incredibly easy it is for me to eat several hundred more calories than what I think I am taking in.  Even now I will have days every so often I measure and log everything just to check in and make sure my estimates are not drifting.  

Anyway, here is a list of things that worked well for me.

1.  Measure and track everything each day.  I use myfitnesspal.com but there are also other comparable sites out there.

2.  Exercise consistently and vigorously if you are able to. Break a sweat.  At least go for walks.  Do something!

3.  Eat lean protein first.

4.  Don't drink before or during or up to 30 minutes after eating.  It is drinking after eating that I really notice a difference of getting hungry much faster.  I have never one to take more than a sip or two with a meal though.

5.  Don't skip veggies.  If you are hungry, lean protein and make the rest leafy green veggies to help fill you up.  

6.  Look for foods that are low on the glycemic index.  

7.  I just do better on the days I use shakes.  Not sure why, I just do.  Maybe give them a try again?

8  Clean your house out of junk food and trigger food.  

Good luck!

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

VSG on 06/12/13

One of the things Elina posted recently is that it is never too soon to get back on the wagon. Have a bad meal? Don't write the day off, start NOW to make things better.

I think there is an amount of sense in this. 

Welcome back. You can do this.

Sleeved 6/12/13 - 100 pounds lost to get to goal!

Nancybefree
on 6/26/13 8:31 am
VSG on 11/21/12

Yup.

5'8"    HRW 357 on 7/09/12    SW 339   >196 8/26/13 (surgeon's goal)   TWL  193     CW   164 

*:•-:¦:-•:*1st pers. goal 178 on 10/16/13; ultimate goal 164 on 12/13/13*:•-:¦:-•:* 

ready2Bhealthy2
on 6/26/13 11:36 am

Great point!

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 59 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 59 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 239 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op