gluten free?

butrflygrl_67
on 8/29/13 11:19 pm - Fredericktown/Mansfield, OH

ok i know this is a lil off topic from here but how many of you have gone gluten free or have tried it and not liked it?  my lil 8 year old granddaughter suffers from chronic constipation, she is always in pain from her stomach hurting. her dr has her taking miralax everyday but im wondering if we should maybe change her diet..just thought i would put some feelers out..thanks

Keith L.
on 8/30/13 12:12 am - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

I know there is a lot of evidence out there about gluten and if you were chowing down on bread and cereal all day and having problems,  I would say probably something to consider. But on a post-op diet and hopefully behavior you adopt during your weight loss phase you are inherently eating gluten free. These people that are going nuts and have to make sure that every drop that enters there body has no gluten in it are just driving themselves crazy. 

If you stick to a mostly low carb diet, then you will be mostly gluten free. Its not like meats or cheese have gluten in them or veggies, nuts or water. That's pretty much all you should be eating right now.

I think it is just the latest hype. Now just like anything if you eat a ton of something, you are bound to have some affect of it. 

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

Tracy D.
on 8/30/13 12:26 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Change her diet....I wish we had done that with both my daughters years ago.  If she gets better then you know it's the gluten.   By the way, if she's gluten-intolerant she's probably also very sensitive to lactose.  Take the gluten AND the milk away for awhile.  Other problems kids with gluten intolerance have: bed-wetting issues, dark circles, headaches, fatigue, etc.

Meat, fruit and veggies...and there are lots of GF-friendly "treats" out there that she can have so she doesn't feel deprived.   Best of luck! 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

AdeanaMarie
on 8/30/13 1:56 am - MI
VSG on 03/08/12

Very interesting about the issues kids have when gluten intolerant...

I am gluten intolerant, but just found out a year or two ago.  I also have lactose issues.  I used to wet the bed as a child, have dark circles, sinus headaches and fatigue, as well as having Crohn's Disease.  All issues are better now, since I have gone gluten free.

I concur with the meat, fruit and veggies.  That is when I feel my best.  Even sugar, I am finding to be very nasty to my body.  Lots of research has shown me that feeling better is worth any foods I might have to give up.  One week on my way to a very low sugar diet.  Not low carb necessarily, just the sugar carbs and the ones that spike blood sugar levels.

“Not many of us are living at our best.  We linger in the lowlands because we are afraid to climb the mountains.  The steepness and ruggedness dismay us, and so we stay in the misty valleys and do not learn the mystery of the hills.  We do not know what we lose in our self indulgence.  What glory awaits us if only we had the courage for the mountain climb.  What blessing we should find if only we would move to the uplands of God.?  JRM

AdeanaMarie
on 8/30/13 1:52 am - MI
VSG on 03/08/12

I am gluten free and so glad I did it.  So many issues for so many years.  Find out now with her.  It is not an easy diet, but within three months you should know for sure.

Use coconut milk as a replacement for dairy.  Cheese will be the hardest part, at least that would be for me if I gave up dairy.

Lots of gluten free products out there, but be careful, lots are full of sugar to counteract flavoring.  But there are gluten free waffles in the freezer section, pancake and cake mixes, bread in freezer section.  It is doable.

Ground gluten free oatmeal can be used for homemade cakes, muffins, cookies and in meatloaf.

Go for it!  Finding out the source of her issues is what is best for her, not just treating the issues with meds.

I am lactose intolerant, but interestingly enough, I am good with any dairy product, except liquid milk.  So eventually, she may be able to add dairy in, if she can tolerate it.

Hope you figure out what is causing her issues.

“Not many of us are living at our best.  We linger in the lowlands because we are afraid to climb the mountains.  The steepness and ruggedness dismay us, and so we stay in the misty valleys and do not learn the mystery of the hills.  We do not know what we lose in our self indulgence.  What glory awaits us if only we had the courage for the mountain climb.  What blessing we should find if only we would move to the uplands of God.?  JRM

mickeymantle
on 8/30/13 3:14 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

best to take her to a good gastroenterologist  and see why she is in pain maybe a allergist also  

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

nunyabznss
on 8/30/13 7:21 am - jefferson hills, PA

Hi. I'm gluten free because I have Celiac Sprue.  Has your granddaughter been tested for it? Before any dietary changes maybe testing her for celiac or some food intolerance she might have would be a good idea.  Today there are tons of delicious gluten free foods available.  The prices aren't delicious though.

butrflygrl_67
on 9/2/13 12:18 pm - Fredericktown/Mansfield, OH

thank you all for all of your input, i really appreciate it very much!!  i will pass the info on to my daughter.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 131 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 389 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 421 views