I cannot eat yogurt or plain chicken breast at 8 Months out

sarapilar
on 10/15/13 4:56 pm
VSG on 02/21/13

It is not a fluke...yogurt curdles in my Sleeve and I vomit.  Chicken breast (plain) also makes me vomit.  I can eat breaded / fried style chicken tenders...that is about it for chicken.  I got ill early on with chicken salad, so that is out.  I know breaded chicken is not a good choice, but I am very limited.  I can't get to steak often and I don't eat fish or pork.  I am always on the go, in my car these days...I do OK with eggs and hard cheeses and cream in coffee.

Learning this new Alien Sleeve of mine! 

Trying to up my protein as best as I can....to loose the final 20 lbs.

"The most difficult part of changing how you live and eat is believing that change is possible. It takes a fierce kind of love for yourself."Geneen Roth

Paul5678
on 10/15/13 5:54 pm - United Kingdom

Over 4 years post op and still find dry chicken and turkey difficult. Lamb, mutton and duck have always been easier  Did have problems with yogurt for the first year, but fine now.  Try minced chicken in a sauce or stew or make burgers/meatballs?  Best of luck! 

Kelly-AnneH
on 10/15/13 8:10 pm - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
I can handle the mini breast filets from KFC just fine and they're surprisingly decent for calories. (A little breading didn't take me to 304#, eating ALL THE FOOD did)

It's a shame about the yogurt, but throwing up helps no one, so you're best off without it. Since you handle eggs well, keeping peeled hard boiled eggs in the fridge for easy grabbing might work well for you. Some people do well with cold cuts, either rolled around string cheese or on their own. We liked them for awhile, but find them way too salty now.

Are you able to eat cottage cheese? I love it, hubby hates it - we're all different.

Highest 303.4, Surgery 263, Current 217.8, Goal 180

Nmmsg
on 10/15/13 8:38 pm
VSG on 07/09/13
Cold cuts- roast beef on the rare side is moist. I have also found I tolerate lamb very well- it is great with peppers and onions on a skewer. I can eat wet chicken but small amounts - dark meat is moister. Hamburgers are also ok as long as not extremely well done. As you know it is still trial and error. Find your go to foods and keep them stocked.

Learn from your family history and rewrite yours!

Keith L.
on 10/15/13 10:35 pm - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

Chicken made me sick for the longest time. It still takes longer to digest than any other protein. I had roast chicken last night and I could still feel it in my stomach 3 hours later at bed time. I avoided it for a very long time, but I get sick of other foods and I started to miss it. Then my mom made some chicken breast with some sort of mayo coating when it bakes. It was super moist and I didn't vomit from it. So a couple things occurred to me. One chicken takes longer to digest for me so I must chew it much better than I chew other proteins and if it is try I will almost certainly vomit. I had to retrain myself to each chicken and it took me a good 6 months to do it. Chicken wings were a good way to go. I can eat about 3 of them, they are moist and coated in sauce.

The yogurt is a mystery to me and its a shame you can't eat it because of the probiotics. Have you tried different brands and different types? Organic versus conventional? I eat a lot of greek yogurt and it help**** protein marks.

Since you do so well with eggs, google theworldaccordingtoeggface she has literally hundreds of these mini quiche recipes that are both delicious and easy to make and they are a good way to get proteins in.

How do you do with turkey? I never had any trouble with turkey which I find odd because you would think it would be close structurally to chicken.

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

sarapilar
on 10/16/13 2:55 pm
VSG on 02/21/13

Turkey is OK for me.  I agree about chicken wings - I can do those...they are greasier and much more moist.  No problems with chicken wings...but, I haven't made them at home, only had them in restaurants. Hummmm..Maybe I should buy a deep fryer?  It know this is not proper protocol, but I am just honestly sharing where my struggles are, ya know?

Oh - and I hate any fish or shellfish or shrimp - YUCK.  And pork grosses me out! 

"The most difficult part of changing how you live and eat is believing that change is possible. It takes a fierce kind of love for yourself."Geneen Roth

Keith L.
on 10/16/13 7:15 pm - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

I make chicken wings on the grill but I brine them first which draws out the blood and expands the meat fibers. They come out very moist. I grill them a bunch of different ways but for buffalo I grill them until cooked, put them in a bowl with sauce, toss them, then back on the grill to sorta cook the sauce on. Very good that way and you don't get the extra fat from oil. 

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

Christina D.
on 10/15/13 11:52 pm
VSG on 08/16/12

One of my go to high protein foods, is shrimp ****tail. I can tolerate shrimp better than chicken. Easy enough to cook and keep in the fridge.

Height: 5'4" Current Weight & BMI: 125.2/21.5 Lowest Weight/BMI: 125.2/21.5

Lap Band: 8/13/09 Pre-Op Weight: 245  Weight Lost: 55-60 lbs, band removed 8/2011

Revised to VSG: 8/16/12 Pre-OpWeight: 236 Weight Lost: 110.8 lbs EWL:  121%

Weight Goals: 145 lbs (normal BMI) in 32 weeks. 135 lbs in 37 weeks. 130 lbs in 45 weeks. Fitness Goals: 5 K -- 4 completed in 2013! 10k -- 1 completed 2013! Half marathon -- 3 planned for Spring 2014.

Plastic Surgery: LBL, BA/BL done by Dr. J Barnthouse  9/13.     

Quote: If you find yourself in a hole, quit digging! ~Will Rogers

shrinking_sarah
on 10/18/13 4:30 am - CA

Hey!  Good to "see" you!  Sorry you're still having food issues, but at least you're figuring them out and working with them (and no more throwing up every day, I hope??).

Have you tried Rocky's chicken meatballs?  I buy them at costco.  My thinking is maybe because it's a bit softer they would work?  Or using ground chicken/turkey?

Another thought--pumpkin seeds are very low in carbs and high in protein, but also high in fat, so use discretion (and watch sodium).

I'm off to sneak a peek at your profile! :)

Sarah, VSG Dr. Cirangle--12/28/12, HW: 265 SW: 253 GW: 130???

sarapilar
on 10/18/13 12:28 pm
VSG on 02/21/13

Thank you Sarah! xoxox Hugs!  I used to belong to Costco and I need to join again and try those meatballs.  Actually, my gastro doc told me ground chicken, too, and of course now I am remembering to do that...duh!  Can't wait for you to post more pics!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 67 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 252 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 319 views