Help me eat in the UK!

louisamay
on 10/16/13 1:40 am
VSG on 04/27/12

I'm going to be traveling through England and Wales, spending most of the time driving and eating in pubs and villages. Help me manage my sleeve!

I am not worried about calories. I just want to keep my volume down in a place where I grew to love the full English breakfast, fish and chips and other pub grub.  I know how to order breakfast and can always order a single piece of fish, but would love to know how others have dealt with the same temptations.

[I'm not gaining weight. I keep lowering my goal!] [I LOVE MY SLEEVE!]

Keith L.
on 10/16/13 2:09 am - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

Haggus! Haggus will definitely help you lose weight while in the UK. You will either vomit frequently if you can get it past your lips or you won't eat if that is the only thing on your plan.

I am planning a trip to Ireland in the next 6 months and I have just resolved myself to just eating and experiencing the place. Your sleeve will handle the amount, just get some exercise and plan on coming back a few pounds heavier in the gut and a few pounds lighter in the wallet (pun intended).

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

emelar
on 10/16/13 3:08 am - TX

Ireland = potatoes.  Fixed every way except baked.

I just vacationed there this summer and it honestly wasn't hard to deal with meals.  They have wonderful salmon and beef.  They always serve a big dish of boiled veggies (carrots, lots of carrots).  Then you can decide what else you might want to sample.  And it's lovely, the people are wonderful, and you'll have a great time!

kodomezhow06
on 10/16/13 2:24 am - KY

What part?  My husband and I are planning go back and visit family first of the year.  We will be spending time in the (Midlands) taking in Telford, Wolverhamptom, Birmingham, and Huddersfields then go south and wrap it up in London.  You would think after living there for almost 3 yrs I would remember a good place to eat but I wasn't a big fan on their food.  I was at  pub that made some bangers and beans and I passed on it. 

Now there was a shop that they had all over the UK that was really good.  They serve meat pies with variation of meats and they fit right in the palm of your hand.  They were really good.  I will have to get the name for you. 

louisamay
on 10/16/13 2:48 am
VSG on 04/27/12

That was probably what used to be Cornish Pasties but they can't call them that unless they are really made in Cornwall--not sure if the shp had to change its name or if they are actually made in Cornwall!

I love British food, especially when you consider that also includes Mediterranean and Indian and such. Not big on their bangers, though. But fish, pasties, cottage pie or shepherd's pie, and SCONES.

Kate -True Brit
on 10/17/13 2:29 am - UK

British restaurants, except for the really cheap ones, are very health conscious these days. I have never failed to find something suitable in a decent place.  And if you have a full English or Welsh breakfast, any good place will offer a choice if how to cook the eggs, bacon will be grilled.  The days of what we used to call the Greasy Spoon cafe are over in sll bar a very few places.  All good pubs now will serve things like grilled or poached salmon and a side dish with boiled fresh veggies is the norm. 

And our portions tend to be smaller than yours. I wasted so much in the US because, being in hotels, there was no point in taking left-overs home! 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

louisamay
on 10/17/13 3:18 am
VSG on 04/27/12

The availability of wonderful, fresh fish is one of the things I'm looking forward to! Have had wonderful salmon all over the UK.

I also enjoy carveries where I can get some beef or turkey and limit my sides.

Thanks for the reminders. That's what I am trying to do, get my brain in the right place so my options are at my fingertips [or the front of my brain].

Kate -True Brit
on 10/17/13 3:52 am - UK

Mind you, when I visited the US, we loved the fish along the New England coastline! Lobster!!! Just too expensive in the UK to be other than a real treat! 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 44 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 44 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 196 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 282 views