Cross fit

RoMoFo
on 10/15/13 2:59 am
VSG on 09/19/13

Is anybody doing cross fit? My fiancé is going back and I'm thinking about giving it a whirl when I'm cleared! I don't want to do heavy lifting because I have no desire to be a hoss of a woman.  It really interests me and I think it would definitely aid in weight loss.  and thoughts? Ideas?

MAchick
on 10/15/13 3:14 am
VSG on 01/27/14

I have not had surgery yet. I tried crossfit for two months but then pinched a nerve in my back :-( I'd love to do it again after surgery.

At first, I hated it. I hated not being able to do anything, including jump rope. I was the only obese person there, but a lot of people were welcoming and pushed me to go further. At first, you will probably not do heavy lifting. But it will increase. Heavy lifting won't make a woman a "horse", we don't have the right hormones in our body.

RoMoFo
on 10/15/13 3:29 am
VSG on 09/19/13

Well maybe we are bred different in texans because some of those chicks look like hulk hogan!  They are extremely fit but still!  I may give it a try!  I tried last year but in a snobby part of town and people were a-holes!  The guy leading it tried to make me do a pull up on my second day which sucked and embarrassed the crap outta me because all I could do was hang there lol.  I kinda felt like he did that on purpose and I never went back after that.  The cross for where we live now is very welcoming and everyone motivates each other and has FRIENDLY competition.  It's a good environment to be in, so we'll see.

Ms Shell
on 10/15/13 3:49 am - Hawthorne, CA

THOSE women might be doing something to "bulk" up.  I watched a CrossFit competition and the women were FIERCE and FIT and only a few hulk hogans lol.

Sounds like it's something you would LIKE to do and exercise is finding something you like and DO IT.

Ms Shell

Keith L.
on 10/15/13 3:57 am - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

I think its a great idea. Its a great workout and I would encourage you to lift heavy. Unless you are injecting yourself with testosterone you will not be a Hoss of a woman. Maybe 10 years from now but for sure not between now and goal. If you are going to follow the program, follow the program, that's why it works. The worst that will happen to you lifting heavy is you will lose weight faster, tone the crap out of the muscle you do have and maybe gain a little muscle to help fill out some areas like your abs. Remember more lean muscle, more calories burned at rest. More muscle for a woman means more toned muscle. Go check out female cross fit videos on YouTube, none of them are huge. They are all lean and tight.

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

grayC
on 10/15/13 4:01 am
VSG on 05/01/13
I've been doing cross fit for 2 weeks..love it...LOVE my trainer..
I already see a tightening in my stomach!!

hope123
on 10/15/13 4:40 am, edited 10/15/13 4:43 am - MO

I'm personally not a fan of Cross Fit, but that's just me.  I've known of too many people getting hurt with really bad injuries there, because many of the things they do is "fast-fast-fast" - and the body isn't meant to move that quickly with exercise.  I've always been taught the slower the better, but it's like a race to the finish at Cross Fit, which is kind of weird.  I've heard of people getting torn ligaments, shoulder damage, etc...  To each is own though.  Everyone has different preferences, and that's okay.

snowiekate
on 10/15/13 4:50 am - FL

I started CrossFit 3 weeks ago, based on my surgeon's recommendation.  I was VERY nervous - even after losing close to 60 lbs at that point, I could not imagine working out intensely, never mind in front of people!

That said, even though the workouts are exhausting, I am glad I'm doing it, and improving every time!

Check out a few "boxes" in your area to find the right fit for you; the trainers AND other members will be very important, so you want to make sure they are supportive and aware of your initial limitations and concerns. I told my trainers immediately that I'd had surgery, and had issues with my knee and ankles, so that there are no surprises.

My trainer modifies the WOD (workout of the day) to fit my current skill level, and tests each movement with me individually before I start. When something doesn't feel right to me (meaning actual PAIN, not just "I don't wanna"), we adjust to something else.

For example, my warm-up might be a 400 meter run - or run as much as I can and walk the rest - plus a series of push-ups, sit-ups, and squats. The first day, I could barely complete 5 sit-up crunches, and now, just a few weeks later, I am sitting ALL the way up, and doing up to 30 in a session.

There are several other women, and none are super-muscular - but they are all toned and strong.

Best of luck to you!!

~ snowiekate

High 307.2, Pre-liquid: 290.3, Surgery: 282.6

Surgery date May 31, with Dr. Radecke (Riverside Surgical in Sebastian, FL)

MsBobbiTX
on 10/15/13 6:10 am
VSG on 09/16/13

Every time I have enlisted in a boot camp type of workout on a regular basis I have had an injury that derails my progress.  Granted this is pre-sleeve so I was heavier, but it was always so disappointing.  If you are going to join a group like this make sure your trainer isn't a muscle-head and they actually care about your individual needs. I went to one class where the trainer actually called me out because I was "slacking". Of course he weighed 12 pounds and could care less that I could barely move and had a hamstring issue from another class. I doubt I will go back to this type of class every again. Who knows though. I know people who go to cross fit and are very happy and successful.  But my primary Dr. goes and she tore her shoulder muscle. Just be careful :-)

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 270 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 329 views