Vertigo: low blood sugar or something else?

danixbanani
on 11/4/13 5:35 am - NY
VSG on 10/12/12 with

So I've had some vertigo/woozyness for the past four days and today I finally went to my NP at work (we have a wellness center) because I was afraid it could be my ears.

She couldn't find anything wrong with my ears or blood pressure.  She was pushing for me to take a pregnancy test but I'm on BC and just had a visit from TOM about two weeks ago so I declined.  Then she took my blood sugar and it was 83 which for a normal person without diabetes is normal but I had just eaten a snack about an hour earlier so she said that could be the culprit.  It's also possibly just seasonal allergies so I took a decongestant and I'm eating half a quest bar before my workout.  Eating doesn't really make me feel better so I'm not sure about the low blood sugar thing but she wants me to come back tomorrow morning to test it again.  She said if it's still low I should visit my surgeon.  What do you guys think?

I'm getting a lot of ribbing at work that I could be preggo but seriously, I would have to be the Virgin Mary and this baby would have to be Jesus because there's no way!  Buuutttttttttt, I'm gonna take a test when I get home anyway.  All I know is that I want this damn vertigo gone!  And, yes, I had my vitamin levels checked over the summer and they were completely normal.  But I'm going crazy here!  cool

band to sleeve revision and loving life!

You do you, and I'll do me

Chrissy W.
on 11/4/13 5:42 am - Indianapolis, IN
VSG on 07/01/13

Iron deficiency? Sounds suspect if you just had TOM...

VSG 7/1/13 with Dr. Jack Rutledge 28 y/o female - 5'10" - HW: 298GW: 174 - SW: 290 (-8) - M1: 262 (-28) - M2: 247 (-15) - M3: 235 (-12) - M4: 228 (-7 ~First Stall: almost 2 wks~) - M5: 218 (-10) - M6: 209 (-9) - M7: 199 (-10) Onederland on 1/31 - M8: 196 (-3) 100 lb total loss on 2/2 - M9: 192.6 (-3.4) - M10: 188.6 (-4) - M11: 182 (-6.6) - M12: 175.6 (-6.4) - M13: 173.8 (-1.8) CW (7/8/15): 167 - GOAL reached in 1 Year and 25 Days! - TOTAL WL - 131 lbs  

Keith L.
on 11/4/13 5:47 am - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

Here are some of my thoughts:

Pinched Nerve

Low Magnesium causes dizziness

Low Potassium causes dizziness

or good old vertigo. I used to work with a guy who had it permanently so that is certainly a possibility.

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

danixbanani
on 11/4/13 5:49 am - NY
VSG on 10/12/12 with

Keith, what vitamins would you suggest taking?  I don't want to take chewables anymore, I'd rather take regular pills but I have no idea where to start.  I can't take one-a-days because they, guess what, cause dizziness for me!

Keith L.
on 11/4/13 5:58 am - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

You could try taking them separately. I would say a b-complex, vitamin d, vitamin c for sure. I find it interesting that a multi-vitamin makes you dizzy, certainly something to mention to a nutritionist or your doc. It can mean a lot of things. 

What supplements do you take now?

danixbanani
on 11/4/13 8:38 am - NY
VSG on 10/12/12 with
None I'm literally the worst but now I think maybe I should start taking them again. The one a days specifically make me dizzy because they don't have all natural ingredients in them. When I get vitamins, I make sure to get organic or all natural ones.

Keith L.
on 11/4/13 11:16 am - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

I would go with a multi-vitamin then. Women typically have problems with iron, potassium,and magnesium but a good multi-vitamin should have all of that in there. I was checking out a brand called Rainbow something or other that looked pretty good to me.

You should definitely be taking a vitamin though. Check your fats too, you could be hormone imbalanced which at your age could present as a pregnancy would. Also you should get your potassium and magnesium levels checked, they cause dizziness.

danixbanani
on 11/4/13 5:48 am - NY
VSG on 10/12/12 with

BAH!  Sounds like if it persists I'll have to get my iron levels checked out...maybe in the meantime I will eat some bananas lol.

hollykim
on 11/4/13 6:52 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
Well just for the record,it is possible to get pregnant while on the pill and um,no,it wouldn't be an immaculate conception,lol. Hormones go haywire and anything is possible really.

What bout Your fluids? Getting 64+ oz a day, regularly? Dehydration is a biggy for dizziness.
GL

danixbanani
on 11/4/13 8:39 am - NY
VSG on 10/12/12 with
Lol yes I know and I took a test and I am NOT lol. It'd be ok if I was but I'm glad it's not a surprise. Fluid is good...I'm going back to doctor in the morning for another blood sugar test.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 77 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 282 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 335 views