CARBS? Are some better than others?

shellyb1203
on 11/21/13 3:06 pm
VSG on 09/20/13
I made a bean salad with baby spinach. While logging I was surprised at the carbs. I avoid 99% of breads and pastas (unless whole grain). So are the bean carbs okay or are they just as bad as the "breads "?

HW 375 lost 28 lbs. w/diet changes. Surgery SW: 347 5'1

mkvand
on 11/21/13 5:52 pm
VSG on 01/06/14 with

It depends on your goals.  Are you trying to stay in ketosis?  If so, beans are a bad idea.  If not, they're fine.  Beans have a lot of complex carbs, including fiber, which won't affect blood sugar the way simple carbs will, and they have protein, which keeps you full longer than low protein options like bread.

Keith L.
on 11/21/13 10:03 pm - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

There are 3 different types of carbs. Simple carbs which are sugars, flour, white stuff basically. Complex carbs which are whole grains, and fiber carbs. All carbs are 4 calories per gram except fiber and fiber is not digestible or only partially digestible so you don't see anything from fiber. Simple carbs are fast digesting and impact blood sugar and spike insulin. Complex carbs are slower digesting and do not impact blood sugar or spike insulin and fiber does not affect blood sugar or insulin at all and are non or only partially digestible.

Beans have some fiber and complex carbs. Beans are ok but also calorically dense so don't go crazy with them.

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

Tracy D.
on 11/21/13 10:08 pm - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

If I had to choose which carbs to eat, I would absolutely go with the fiber carbs that Keith is describing.  Just a note:  if you are taking a PPI that is reducing the amount of stomach acid you have, beware!  It will be much tougher to break down and digest things like beans.  So you may end up with a bit more gas or tummy trouble. 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

G5x5
on 11/21/13 11:01 pm - VA

Doritos = bad carbs (smirk).

I avoid beans for the reason Keith mentioned.  The protein you get from beans doesn't seem worth the carb/calorie load that comes with it since there are better options.  So for now I just avoid them, but once I get to full maintenance I will allow for them sometimes in my dietary plans.

That first category Keith mentioned, the sugary carbs, tend to come is larger calorie loads for the portion size and are more easily converted to fat.  It's why they're dangerous.  You can pack on too many calories too quickly and then your body is all ready to store the excess as fat.

HW: 255 (6/5/13), SW: 240 (6/19/13), CW: 169 (9/16/14)

M1: -26,  M2: -17,  M3: -5,  M4: -13  M5: -12  M6: -11  M7: -8

M8-10: Skinny Maintenance (10k Training)   M11-13: On Break

M14+: **CROSSTRAINING FOR ALL AROUND FITNESS**

Google NSNG and learn the right way to eat each day

jimbovsg
on 11/22/13 12:05 am

I find donuts and cupcakes are MUCH  better than carrots and celery...so YES some carbs are better than other!  Lol! mail

JIMBO...  350lbs! lost!.....  TRIPLE CENTURY CLUB!!  HELL ...YEAH!  
MY  VSG......KICKS ASS!                                                                                                                                                                                      

I  am   6' 2"    

Spencerella
on 11/22/13 1:30 am - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
VSG on 10/15/12

Bad Jimbo. Bad Bad Jimbo ;-) 

LINDA                 

Ht: 5'2" |  HW 225, BMI 41.2  |  CW 115, BMI 21.0

A. Kondrlik
on 11/22/13 7:42 am
VSG on 01/24/13

By volume I feel the largest portion of carbs should be things like veggies and a little fruit and some dairy, then a smaller amount of beans and grains.  And extremely rarely if ever white carbs like sweets and white breads.  This has worked well for me.  The beans and grains are a more concentrated source of calories than the veggies.

Anne

HW 259    GW 145    CW 140.2  Not finished yet?   

Mary Catherine
on 11/22/13 7:50 am

Stay away from carbs until you are well below your goal weight and don't mind some regain.  In any form, they will sabatoge your weight loss efforts.  Even whole grain is not worth it if you want to get to your goal weight and stay there.

frisco
on 11/22/13 3:25 pm
On November 22, 2013 at 3:50 PM Pacific Time, White Dove wrote:

Stay away from carbs until you are well below your goal weight and don't mind some regain.  In any form, they will sabatoge your weight loss efforts.  Even whole grain is not worth it if you want to get to your goal weight and stay there.

Yay !!!

You said what I was thinking !!!!!

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 77 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 288 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op