will a re-sleeve stretch out again?

nicholivolkoff
on 11/24/13 7:58 am - Canada

Hi, I am being resleeved this December. The reason for failure is that my original vsg was stretched out too much, and I have been able to eat a lot. I am hoping after vsg number 2, it cannot stretch out again. Anyone out there have experience with a resleeve, and know about stretching? Thanks in advance. -Michelle, Ontario

(deactivated member)
on 11/24/13 8:02 am

It all depends on the technique used by your surgeon and your "maintenance and care" of your new sleeve.  It is hard to stretch out a well made sleeve, but it can be done to some extent.  Make sure your surgeon is fantastic and treat your sleeve with care. 

mickeymantle
on 11/24/13 8:53 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

you need to find out what stretched in the first case and don't do that , probably eating to much at every meal

a well made sleeve is hard to stretch out a lot , It is made of the least stretchy part of the stomach

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

(deactivated member)
on 11/24/13 9:41 am

michelle - i notice you are in ontario, as am i.  i am curious when and where you got your first sleeve done.  please pvt msg me if you feel comfrotable.  i am only 3.5 weeks post op and your situation seems daunting.  i have so many questions for you to understand your cir****tance.  i can't believe that a person could need a revision of a VSG.

nicholivolkoff
on 11/24/13 9:54 am - Canada

I had my vsg at Barix in Michigan, Dr. Pop. Sure a vsg can stretch out! Totally my fault, but it still happened. You should have seen my upper GI x ray, it looked like a normal stomach almost. I still have restriction, just not enough. I also had a ds last April, and never lost a pound from that. The vsg is the powerhouse behind a ds, that is why I did not lose weight with it, my vsg was toast by then. I am pretty sure this will be the last surgery I need, but wanted to hear from others with that experience. Ask any question, no problem!  -Michelle

acbbrown
on 11/25/13 12:37 am - Granada Hills, CA

You can stretch out the remaining tissue....might be harder but you can do it. 

I don't know when you had your original surgery, but you might want to think long and hard about this. Clearly,  you are acknowledging that you are responsible for stretching your stomach out by your eating habits. Have you considered changing those instead of a 3rd surgery right now? A re sleeve has a higher risk, higher rate of complications...is it worth it? 

Ive thought about a revision of some sort, but honestly, I would never do it unless my diet was 100% what it needs to be, and I still couldn't lose a lb. if you have a re sleeve, and still eat carbs, liquid calories, big portions, nothing will change. Maybe immediately, but what about years down the road?

i wish you the best whatever you decide to do. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

BlondeOne
on 3/17/14 6:47 am - Roy, UT

Thank you so much for your post.  I was having the same thoughts and issues.  I was sleeved in 2012 and I just hit my 2 year anniversary.  I feel I can eat a lot more than at first, and was thinking maybe my sleeve stretched, but as you said above, it is part of my diet.  My diet isn't at 100% and I think I will work on that first before thinking of going ahead with resleeve or revision to a DS.  Thanks!

Highest/Surgery Weight 230 Goal Weight 140 Current Weight 190
Starting BMI 36.6 Current BMI 28
My height is 5'7.

PaulaToronto
on 3/18/14 7:24 am - Toronto, Canada

Just wondering how much solid protein you can eat right now? I can eat carbs galore but I am done in by more than 3 ounces of steak or chicken.  Unless I keep my diet in check I gain weight.  Right now I am 35 pounds over my lowest and I know what I have done wrong.  My bingeing is back and carbs are back.  What kind of diet did you follow after your DS?

I would worry about how thin your stomach lining would be after a second VSG if you continue to over eat? I am worried for you. Stomach perforations, etc. would not be fun.  What are you doing differently now that will make this surgery a success?

What doctor are you using?

Highest W 312   Referral W 252   Surgery W 237   CW 156  Height 5'6"            

adargie
on 11/25/13 12:35 am - MI

Oh wow this is the first I have heard of a vsg stretching out. I assumed it could happen but just not that easy. I am a little freaked right now!! I was told my surg does his sleeves tight and that seems a true answer so far I can eat very little, I know over time that will change. SO I am enjoying the restriction.

Cherie K.
on 4/30/16 4:59 pm - Hong Kong

How did the re-sleeve go... have you lost the additional weight that you needed to lose?  I am being re-sleeved this week and I am not sure what to expect as far as weight loss rate the second time around... Please advise me of your experience. Thanks!

Most Active