What do you do...

Annievvho
on 1/6/14 12:39 pm - Roanoke, VA
VSG on 11/29/13

What do the rest of you VSGers do when your eating schedule gets WAY off for the day? My day was going pretty well despite having to spend most of my lunch going to pay a bill. Even though I had to eat on the go, I was sure to stretch it out over 20-25 minutes and I felt full and satisfied after. Normally, though, I have a protein shake about halfway between lunch and leaving at work (with my job, it can be difficult to eat any other kind of protein based snack during the work day). This helps me meet my goals for the day, and feel satisfied, also. Today sucked. I have a coworker who does not even come close to pulling his weight, and I spent the entire last half of my shift cleaning up the messes he made. I wound up staying 40 minutes over, missed my "snack," and feeling miserable and grouchy. I drank my protein on the way home, gave it enough time to process, but then I was really struggling with how to get my protein where I need it to be. I tried eating 2 meals within a couple hours to get enough in before bed, but I wound up with the foamies (slimies) and basically got sick (TMI - nothing much came up, but I was dry heaving and spitting up foam/mucous). Any tips for playing catch up, or is it better to just let my numbers be a little low?

i don't like this feeling, but what's more, I don't want to do damage to my sleeve trying to catch up at the end of the day. Maybe when I'm farther out, and not always at the lower end of the calorie/protein goal range, I won't have this kind of problem anyway.

I also realized how much of a trigger stress from work is. I know part of the problem was eating that second thing of food too fast, and I was aware of it, too. I'm not sure if it was just the stress, or if I was scared about overdoing it, and my stupid head wouldn't take me in the correct direction with pace? 

Anyway you look at it, rushing to get my protein at the end if the day is not good. It also made me struggle to get in my supplements.

Mom_2_4
on 1/6/14 12:50 pm
VSG on 05/22/13

Hi... 

Sounds like a really tough day!  I personally would just let it fall off for the day.  A protein shake is usually between 20-30 grams so if you're aiming for  between 80-100 grams a day that puts you at 50-80 for the day which isn't too bad for ONE day.  As long as it isn't a habit, being low on protein occasionally isn't going to really cause issues.

Good Luck!

Elisa

HW: 254  SW: 238.2  CW:179.6 1st GW: ONEDERLAND 2nd GW: 150 GW: 135  Surgery: 5/22/13      

Annievvho
on 1/6/14 1:04 pm - Roanoke, VA
VSG on 11/29/13

Thanks.

lil1inside
on 1/6/14 1:46 pm
VSG on 07/10/13

I wouldn't worry about it at the end of the day, don't try that again (I'm sure you won't) to try to get your protein in that you didn't earlier.  Just try to balance it better the next day perhaps.  

Denise

Started at (266 lbs)          Pre-op (249) 7/10/13             Present (173) 03/19/14
No star is lost once we have seen, We always may be what we might have been.
Adelaide Proctor

Keith L.
on 1/6/14 11:35 pm - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

Its not a good idea to try to catch up. Its much better to just pick back up at the next opportunity.

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

michael "I didn't do
it!" w

on 1/6/14 11:44 pm - Festus, MO
VSG on 12/18/13

Lately I've found my protein shake is my "big hit" for the day in terms of the most protein (50g) and  calories (220).  I have a similar situation where my schedule can get tossed out the window on a moment's notice, so I'm increasingly doing shakes exclusively for breakfast.  That way I know if I am late or miss lunch I'm close enough to my goal I can make it up in the evening when I can breathe again. 

I feel for you though.  It's hard to be so committed to this and see ourselves fall short.  I've beaten myself up regularly... 

HW: 495  Consult: 390  SW: 361 CW: 289

April is Autism Awareness Month!

Annievvho
on 1/7/14 2:40 am - Roanoke, VA
VSG on 11/29/13

Yeah, it is. And since I'm not usually anything like "hungry," it's easier to forget under stress. Thanks for the camaraderie. I planned ahead today and made up a protein shake earlier in case we get busy later.

(deactivated member)
on 1/7/14 2:50 am

If eating is hard and time is a problem you should buy shakes pre-made for days like this.I hope your day gets better.Or put protein powder in your morning coffee or sugar free hot chocolate.

hollykim
on 1/8/14 3:59 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

If I am low for the day,I can't catch up so chalk it up and move on. I would also let. My coworker clean. Up his own " messes". Who made you the mess cleaner upper? :)

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 128 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 377 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 415 views