When Does the Melting Begin?

Chida
on 1/16/14 11:14 pm

I was 262 on Tues, the day of surgery. It's Friday now, and I'm still 262.

I've been having the feeling that this surgery is too good to be true...As in I know it works for other people, but I'm too scared to get my hopes up that it will work for me. I'm not the cheating type, I know I will follow the plan to the letter and exercise.

But, yeah...Either reality hasn't yet set in or my head is playing real games with me or both...

So, back to my question: When will I start losing?

5'7"

HW:280

SW: 262

CW: 262

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 1/16/14 11:25 pm
VSG on 10/09/12

You are probably still swollen and full of liquids from surgery IV and your body recovering. My surgeon told me he does not expect to see any major weight loss that is real weight loss until 3 weeks post op. Hang in there. It will happen.. you will not be the one person who does not lose weight with the VSG... I haven't met one yet. Regain happens yes, for some, but first everyone does lose some weight!

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

The_True_KayD
on 1/16/14 11:29 pm

Check your weight in another few days. Your body is still recovering from surgery. Focus on your water and protein. The body will start to loose when ready. You will be fine. 

I am six weeks out and I am down 26 lbs. I weight myself once a week. I refuse to be a slave to an inanimate object. 

HW: 249  SW: 233  VSG: Dec 3, 2013    

FindingMyWeigh
on 1/17/14 12:15 am
VSG on 10/30/13

MY SW was 263. When I got home from the hospital I was 271. I preferred warm clear liquids so I drank sodium free bouillon. The water weight came off within the week and then some.  

G5x5
on 1/17/14 12:23 am - VA

I weight myself every day, but even I didn't weight myself until a week after surgery.

Right now you have a lot of hydration issues going on.  First there's the shift from hospital IVs to the home environment.  Then, in all likelihood, you didn't really consume a full dietary plan in the hospital but are doing better now.

All these issues will cause the scale to go haywire for a few days.  Also, it will continue to do so as you transition to mushy and solid foods.

Relax, this is a game will four full quarters and it just started.   It's only important to follow the program day in and day out until you reach goal.

Day to day scale numbers are pretty meaningless.  Week to week figures are a little better at showing the real trends.  The only reason to weight daily is so no matter what day of the week it is you have the same reference points from previous weeks.

HW: 255 (6/5/13), SW: 240 (6/19/13), CW: 169 (9/16/14)

M1: -26,  M2: -17,  M3: -5,  M4: -13  M5: -12  M6: -11  M7: -8

M8-10: Skinny Maintenance (10k Training)   M11-13: On Break

M14+: **CROSSTRAINING FOR ALL AROUND FITNESS**

Google NSNG and learn the right way to eat each day

OregonGuy2012
on 1/17/14 12:31 am
VSG on 04/04/13

We all have our own journey and the weight loss and the stalls may come in different amounts and at different times.  Its hard to compare two people since there are so many variables to this weight loss formula.  I actually gained 11 pounds in the hospital, all fluids.  Here are the first few weeks and my weight loss amounts.

• Left Hospital: +11 pounds
  • Week 1: -8.2 pounds since surgery
  • Week 2: -17.6 pounds since surgery
  • Week 3: -21 pounds since surgery
  • Week 4: -24.8 pounds since surgery
  • Week 5: -26 pounds since surgery

Besides eating very few calories and hardly any carbs I was walking about 4 miles a day.  The day of my surgery I walked about a mile and a half that night.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 127 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 365 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 410 views