Some very encouraging news I thought I would pass along.

Scribbler
on 1/18/14 11:24 pm

Someone whom I am close to had RNY about 10 years ago. Now, I know this forum is for Sleeve patients, but bear with me for juuuust a minute.

She is one of the people I know who had RNY, did well initially in the honeymoon phase, and two years out, she started putting on the weight. She never really changed her habits, see. She was making the surgery do all the work... which most of us realize, doesn't fly in the long term. She almost gained all of her weight back! A couple years ago, she asked me if I would ever consider RNY. I had to be brutally honest with that one... I just said, as gently as I could, that according to my observations, RNY doesn't seem to be a good permanent solution, looks like lots of folks have regain with it. I didn't point her out specifically, but I think she caught my drift.

Well, I spoke with her last night (unfortunately we live far apart so I don't see her often) and she has lost most of the excess weight again! She sent a few pictures to my phone and she looks great.

Not all of it just yet, but she's back to 60-70 percent EWL, which is what most surgeons would define as success. She was very happy about this and told me she'd seen her surgeon again and was "back on the program". And what's the program? It might sound familiar...

• Eat lean, solid protein FIRST
  • Do not eat carbs, especially "white" carbs like rice, bread, potatoes etc.
  • Do not eat slider foods like ice cream, milkshakes, etc.
  • Don't drink with meals
  • Take your vitamins
  • Drink your water
  • Get some exercise

By following these rules, she got back down to a more reasonable weight. 10 years later. The point of all my rambling? The surgery still works. The tool was still there for her. She just had to go back to the basics, detox off the carbs, and get back with the program. We are Sleevers, not RNY'ers, but the principles are still the same and the surgery is still there to work with us, even if we slip up and fall off the wagon.

I hope this helps someone. It sure helped to reassure me a whole lot about my upcoming surgery. Seeing a "failure" pick herself right back up gives me a warm and fuzzy.

Lake-michigan-girl
on 1/18/14 11:33 pm
Thanks for posting this is what I needed this morning. It is very encouraging.
TexasTerritory
on 1/19/14 12:04 am
VSG on 07/22/13
Great news

LosingSarah
on 1/19/14 12:07 am - Moorhead, MN
VSG on 10/16/13

Great post. I am still early out, but think about potential re-gain often. I am doing the right things, but admit that sometimes I just want to eat naughty things. 

I absolutely find this kind of post the most helpful when browsing the OH forums. This type and posts by vets who have "failed" and list the reasons why. They are fantastic reminders that this surgery is just a tool, and that the changes are for a lifetime. If I don't follow through I will be making a post years down the road explaining myself and I don't want that to happen.

Congrats on your upcoming surgery, by the way!

Scribbler
on 1/19/14 12:23 am

Thanks! I'm doing a fairly good job of getting my head in the right place about it. This forum has really helped me out. I have more baggage than you can ever imagine surrounding my weight. Issues with my family, past abuse and violence etc. It may get worse before it gets better.

I think the #1 helpful thing I learned on OH is that yes, I do have an eating disorder. I am finally owning up to that, after mumbleteen years. But so does everybody else on here, so I'm not alone. It's bad news - but the good news is that I am definitely not the first person to suffer from ED and I won't be the last! That just by itself is encouraging! We are all ED buddies in recovery!

And no, I'm not a vet but this lady is, she has seen some of the best and worst parts of WLS from a first person perspective!

Sometimes I feel discouraged when I read posts that say "My sleeve failed and it's not my fault!" It does make me wonder if I'm doing the right thing for myself. But then, I have to remind myself that in all likelihood, the person just strayed from the program and may be in denial about it - or worse, never was taught the proper way to eat in the first place! I need reminders that the tool DOES work, but you need to work it. Like you, I don't want to be one of those people making that type of post years down the line.

LosingSarah
on 1/19/14 3:04 am - Moorhead, MN
VSG on 10/16/13

Your head seems to be in the right place for sure! 

You are right about the "my sleeve failed me & it's not my fault" posts. They are in denial. It is all about making huge changes and using surgery as the tool that it is :)  Glad that even though you feel a bit discouraged you see the light, lol. While I, too, know what is really up in these situations I still get this feeling in my stomach that I will fail, but again, know fully well that if I do it is because of what I put into this.

Anyway, good luck! :)

mickeymantle
on 1/19/14 12:56 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

if we could all stay on a good plan we could also lose the weight without the surgery , but with out the surgery it is harder to stay on  plan

it just shows it is the plan than makes you lose and the sleeve is just a tool to help keep you on plan

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

Scribbler
on 1/19/14 4:03 am

Exactly mickeymantle, that is what my surgeon told me nearly word for word.

hollykim
on 1/19/14 1:26 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

someone posted the question,why do we call it a tool? This,in a nutshell,is why. If you ever once have a tool to use., you will always have that tool to use. If the tool worked once,it is likely to work every. Time you need it. 

As with any other tool, you have to have to pick it up to use it and make it work. Just like a hammer,if you just sit and look at the thing,it will not ever work. It is not going to just jump up in your hand and go to banging. You have to pick it up.

gl

LosingSarah
on 1/19/14 3:11 am - Moorhead, MN
VSG on 10/16/13

Yes! Great analogy!

I think it is so irresponsible of doctors who don't explain this.  I knew it before I had my first visit with my surgeon, but was glad to hear my doctor call it a tool, and explain the lifestyle change that must to be successful. It made me feel good about him and the WL Center.  They are very serious about educating all of their patients before surgery, and, in fact, require six months of nut visits and classes even if ones insurance doesn't. They even said if someone came in with cold, hard cash to pay for surgery they would still have to go through the process of learning what needs to happen to be successful.

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 56 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 56 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 226 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 303 views