How do I speed up wl and tips for getting into exercise

goleftoklahoma
on 2/3/14 3:27 am
VSG on 01/24/14

I started walking a mile to two miles everyday on January 1st.  I had the vsg last Friday and I feel fantastic 0 complications or pain from surgery.  I am losing weight just fine, its just there is sooo much more to go.  So I want to supplement my surgery with exercise.  I know that at the end of this I'd like to be toned and stronger through strength training.  I feel like I could hop in the gym and start trying to do sit-ups etc.  I know there is no way I'm going to do that this early and risk hernia etc.  BUT when should I look to start using weights?  For losing weight is it better to just stick with the cardio?  Any more tips to speed this up besides sticking to the plan and drinking the water?  I appreciate any help.  I also HATE the eliptical, it is so boring.  I prefer to walk outside the time flies.  Thanks!

freckles1973
on 2/3/14 3:44 am - Canada

I find that a combination of strength training and cardio is a good balance. Right now..walking is your best friend as far as excercise goes this close after surgery . My surgeon's rules were no heavy lifting, pushing, straining of any kind 4-6 weeks after surgery. Always check with your surgeon and post op instructions. Also give yourself time to feel out your new tummy and body after surgery..have patience my friend..it will all come in due time..and you will look fabulous!! :-)

HW : 246 PW:220 SW:208 CW:130

VSG surgery on 09/10/2013 with Dr. Henri Atlas

goleftoklahoma
on 2/3/14 3:52 am
VSG on 01/24/14

Lol, patience is hard.  I waited patiently for the surgery now I'm like we got to get this thing moving lol.  But you're right.

G5x5
on 2/3/14 5:36 am - VA

Hands down patience is the hardest part of this process from the beginning to the end.

As for exercise, first don't panic, second don't push.  Steady wins the race.

All I did for the first 2 to 2.5 months was walk.  I tried to get more steps in on the weekdays, but the weekends I really pushed as hard (and long) as I could.  I tied it in with window shopping also thus killing two birds with one stone.

At about the 2.5 month mark I started doing mild elliptical (sorry, but in my case I own one) to build cardio strength.  Then at about the 4 month mark I upped the elliptical to a much more serious level.  But still no weigh training, no runnings, and no other exercises or gym stuff.  Just the elliptical.

All that go me down to maintenance in early January.  At that point I went all in on the exercise, all that gym stuff plus running.

What will really matter are the habits you adopt now and stick with.  That can be food and/or exercise.  It will take you several months to undo the weight gain so just accept that.  Focus more on how your changing your habits with each day and let the numbers so where they go.

HW: 255 (6/5/13), SW: 240 (6/19/13), CW: 169 (9/16/14)

M1: -26,  M2: -17,  M3: -5,  M4: -13  M5: -12  M6: -11  M7: -8

M8-10: Skinny Maintenance (10k Training)   M11-13: On Break

M14+: **CROSSTRAINING FOR ALL AROUND FITNESS**

Google NSNG and learn the right way to eat each day

Sandy M.
on 2/3/14 3:47 am - Detroit Lakes, MN
Revision on 05/08/13

You shouldn't do more than walking for the first month to six weeks (whatever your surgeon says).  But you can start adding arm movement to your walk - most people walk with their arms at their sides - the better way is to bend your elbows and walk as if you were running.

Be patient - it'll come off fast, especially since you're a guy!

Height 5'4"  HW:223 Lap band 2006, revised to Sleeve 5/8/2013, SW:196

goleftoklahoma
on 2/3/14 3:53 am
VSG on 01/24/14

I'd like to just fast forward 1 full year lol

Keith L.
on 2/3/14 3:48 am - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

My best piece of advice is to be patient. It will come off and if you focus you will get as much off as you want to. But your body will go at its own pace.

As for when, keep up the walking, the more the better. You can start moderate cardio usually around 3 weeks post op but I would encourage you to wait until 8 weeks post op to try weights and ab work. Let those incisions fully heal before you start tugging at them. I started too early and the incision where my stomach came out is herniated. So be careful. The best fat burn exercises are low impact cardio (i.e. walking) 60 mins per day, every day. Rest days are for weights and High Impact cardio. Walking outside is better you get variations in grade and the friction the sidewalk or road provide actually make you work a bit harder plus you theoretically are getting fresh air.

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

goleftoklahoma
on 2/3/14 3:58 am
VSG on 01/24/14

I'll work on the patience thing, at this point it's really all I can do because I do worry about hernia problems like you mentioned.  Thanks for the advice, I'm sure I'll be hitting you up in a few more weeks for exercise tips.  I am looking at trying the couch to 5k program to break into more intense exercises.  I just don't want to waste this golden year.

Keith L.
on 2/3/14 9:41 am - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

Don't worry you won't waste it. The couch 2 5k is a great way to get into running. Last February not quite a whole year ago I could not run for 1 minute. This year I have run 6 5k's and I am ranked in the top 10 runners in my fitness class. I still do not consider myself a runner, but it goes to show you that once you get into it, you can accomplish quite a lot in a year. To be honest you are already doing the best thing you can do right now, just keep walking, I know it doesn't feel like it but that is the best way to burn fat.

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

mickeymantle
on 2/3/14 4:41 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

after the 6 weeks the best exersize is the old rowing machine it uses all your long mucles , legs back abbes arms , and heart , it will burn over 500 cal an hour

a bycicle is an other good exersize now before you are cleared for lifting

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 272 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 329 views