The "dandelion phase" - hair loss and regrowth with photos

VSG on 06/12/13

I got a haircut the other day and had mentioned to my stylist about my hair coming back in. I now have a layer of baby hair about an inch long that stands up all around my head. When it happened to be rainy and warm here, it was frizzy. I'm ok with this coming in curly as my hair has always been straight, but I'm not used to frizzy!

Another OHer had referred to this as looking like a dandelion. I love it. I have adopted this as my "dandelion phase", lol

Here are photos, taken yesterday. *I* feel like I have lost a lot of hair. I have to use one less hot roller (large size) on days I use them. But, I don't thing that you all will feel I look bald. Granted I had a ton of very fine hair beforehand. And, judging by the baby hairs, I think they started regrowing as soon as the longer hair fell out. 

So, take heart! This does seem to be temporary!

Oh, and the last photo was a DIY style, blown dry, with root lifter and styling gel. Nothing fancy/no other tricks.

Laurie

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Sleeved 6/12/13 - 100 pounds lost to get to goal!

claimmaster
on 2/8/14 9:41 pm - OK
VSG on 07/05/13

I think your hair looks great!  I've lost a little, but really not that much, and even that seems to be stopping now.  I'm lucky!

Jane

Starting weight: 320       Goal weight: 145      Surgery Weight: 298      Current weight: 215         Check out my blog at www.thebariatricvegan.com

Weight loss month 1-22  2-13  3-12  4-16  5-4  6-0  7-7  8-6

VSG on 06/12/13

Thanks! We seem to be about on the same schedule, with only a couple of weeks between our surgery dates. My loss has definitely slowed down but it is still present. People are constantly picking hairs off of my dark colored blazers and such, but I am grateful that it's not as bad as it was a couple of months ago.

Laurie

kellma699
on 2/8/14 9:46 pm
VSG on 02/04/14

I love your hairstyle! I'm dreading the hair loss. I have very thin, fine hair as it is. It's blonde, chin length and the style is an inverted bob. I will go from a very shirt pixie cut to growing it out to this length. I'm unsure if I should go in and chop it all off now or just wait until it starts to fall out and then see what my stylist suggests. I am only 5 days out from surgery so I have some time before I start losing it.

What do you suggest I do or what did you do? Did you talk to your stylist about a plan for hair loss before it happened?

HW 257, SW 190.2, CW 148.8, GW 125

VSG on 06/12/13

I would wait till you get into it to see what happens and then make your decisions from there. Even this week, we discussed whether all of these little microlayers were going to be a mess and whether I just needed to cut it off and get started over again. She talked me off my ledge and showed me how to finger style (with a bit of hairspray on my fingers) to get them to lay down flat.

I had a very wise woman once tell me: "worry about it when it's a problem" and that applies here.

Laurie

grayC
on 2/8/14 9:53 pm
VSG on 05/01/13

SuzyNZ always called it MUPPET HAIR..that's what I've taken to calling mine...

I also think mine started coming in the second it fell out, I also have a lot of regrowth, 

and it seems to be growing pretty fast..

Nmmsg
on 2/8/14 9:59 pm
VSG on 07/09/13

Your hair looks great!  I can't tell that there has been any problem.  I did not have a problem with any hair loss.  I did cut my hair shorter.  I think it felt right with the weight loss.  

Looking pretty!

Learn from your family history and rewrite yours!

VSG on 06/12/13

That makes sense, to rebalance with your new face and frame. I am watching and waiting and thinking about what I want to do. I have almost always had long hair but I cut it a few years ago to chin length and so this is all grow-out since then. I also have a jeep that I love to run around in with the top down, weather permitting. It is FINALLY to the point where I can pull it all back into a ponytail so that problem is solved. Every time I mention cutting to my stylist, she suggests we keep playing with color. So far, so good. :)

Laurie

TexasTerritory
on 2/8/14 10:21 pm
VSG on 07/22/13
Love your hair! I haven't lost too much but I have dandelion regrowth. Add some static electricity and it is rather frightening at times.

VSG on 06/12/13

Ha! Like this? This is how I felt last weekend when it was warm and rainy.

photo null_zps706c2e3c.jpg

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 65 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 247 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 314 views