Is Mexico (generally) the better choice?

goleftoklahoma
on 3/13/14 3:46 am
VSG on 01/24/14

When it came to chosing a surgeon I was probably a lot like most of you in that it was very difficult and I had MANY reservations about going to Mexico, but it was the only way I could have the surgery.  After going and having such a successful experience I have noticed that MOST of the people I see on here that were pain free and had an easy surgery experience had also went to Mexico.  Its the 21st century and medical tourism is at an all time high.  Coupled with the fact that many Canadians and Americans either have to wait toooo long for their surgery, or the price is exorbant.  I believe that surgeons practicing in Mexico are doing way more VSG's and WLS than their American counterparts.  I think they have more experience and that is leading to better surgeries.  Please don't blast me, (well do if you want I really don't care) but my intent on querying this is to 1. get opinions  2. add to the research database pre-op people can browse through down the road.  SO as Keith might say  "Let's hear em"

Keith L.
on 3/13/14 3:56 am - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

I had a great experience in Mexico. The treatment I received in the hospital was old school like 1950's USA. There wasn't $1,000,000 of equipment in my room, they brought everything they needed with them every time they needed it. They were in to check on me a LOT! They made sure I was comfortable and did it without crazy narcotics. I had next to no pain and I was back to work 3 days after my surgery. I do think that Mexico is an excellent choice, particularly for VSG as they have been doing them down there much longer than here and have done a lot more of them. Now you don't get some of the great after care like I have read about on here, but you can put together a program if you are well informed and you involve your doctors here in the plan.

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

goleftoklahoma
on 3/13/14 4:06 am
VSG on 01/24/14

That's pretty much me to a T.  I read on here about people having a morphine pump and I'm like WHAT?  Maybe for recreation lol but I didn't need any pain meds, I brought liquid tylenol and never even used it.  That sublingual supradol they gave me wasn't even necessary, and like you said not even narcotic.  I also agree with you about a follow up plan.  If you do Mexico your pretty much on your own, but with this site, and other available resources in one's area it is easily compensatable.  Thanks for sharing your experience.  -Lyle

maybebaby
on 3/13/14 6:34 am - ID
VSG on 02/21/14

I'm really curious about what they do differently that would make such a huge difference in the amount of pain you have afterward?! I didn't have a morphine pump but I did get dilaudid. I only needed it for the first maybe 4 days or so. I would agree that if they are pumping the out like crazy down there they probably have some tricks up their sleeves that many doctors here might not have. And by the way...I had a FANTASTIC experience! I was well taken care of. I felt like I was on vacation in the hospital, no joke! And my surgery only cost me $2300.00. I am lucky that I have pretty decent insurance. 

Don't dream it. Be it. 

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 3/13/14 4:03 am
VSG on 10/09/12

Like all things, it really depends on many factors. If you are self pay for sure it is a great option. My VSG cost 13K Canadian (I paid up in full and my insurance reimbursed me after) and I didn't have to wait at all as Dr Gagner practices privately in Montreal. So I would not call it exorbitent but I guess if you are paying half of that in Mexico it is pretty good! I also had no pain and a super easy recovery. What tipped the balance for me is that if ever I need my surgeon again, my chances of being in Montreal are much higher than going to Mexico. So I am not sure I'd say Mexico is the better choice but it certainly is a good choice and for some people it is the only choice. 

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

goleftoklahoma
on 3/13/14 4:12 am
VSG on 01/24/14

I spoke with many kind Canadians in Mexico and from what I understand about it (although it is a huge country) you got a pretty good deal!  I am glad you had a great surgery experience too.  One thing I would be interested in knowing is in 10 years how many VSG surgeries the average American, or Canadian doctor has done in contrast to the average Mexican docs.  And you had an excellent point about self pay.  If your insurance covers it in your country then YES do that!  But for me and others self paying I pose the question.  Thanks for sharing!

Miah_Momma1218
on 3/13/14 4:07 am - Columbus, OH
VSG on 03/18/14 with

I'll be having my VSG is Mexico on Tuesday, and I'm thrilled to have seen so many great reviews from others who have done it as well.  Remind me to post my thoughts about better vs. not when I get back! Excited to see what everyone else has to say about it!

- Jenners - "We travel the world over to find the beautiful, but we must carry it with us or we find it not." Ralph Waldo Emerson

27 y/o, 5'1", Highest Weight 250, starting weight 227, weight at surgery 217

goleftoklahoma
on 3/13/14 4:15 am
VSG on 01/24/14

lol I probably won't have to remind you, I spent so much time here pre-op I couldn't wait to get back and start posting about it!  Where is your surgeon TJ?  If so, and if you have any questions about the Marriott, or the place in general (shopping, food, currency, border, taxi's etc) I'd be happy to hear em!

Miah_Momma1218
on 3/13/14 4:34 am - Columbus, OH
VSG on 03/18/14 with

Definitely not! I have been all over this site since even before pre-op hahaha! I've found everyone here to be very helpful and insightful, they've given me a lot to think about!

- Jenners - "We travel the world over to find the beautiful, but we must carry it with us or we find it not." Ralph Waldo Emerson

27 y/o, 5'1", Highest Weight 250, starting weight 227, weight at surgery 217

Stacy_WLS
on 3/13/14 4:13 am

I made the decision to have my surgery in Mexico.  I was confident in the doctor that I choose. BUT my parents freaked out.  To comfort them (and b/c they sponsored the difference in price), I had the surgery in Chicago.  I did have to go through a much more comprehensive pre-op process.  The two big benefits of having the surgery in Chicago were 1) I could recover in my own home 2) I have a great team from my doctors office.  and I guess the benefit that my parents didn't have heart attacks from worry, but had it not been for them I would have gone to Mexico.  

Now I am planning for plastics and trying to figure out where I will do that.  

VSG: 12/12/13, LBL, small TL, BL/BA: 11/7/14 Twins 12/9/18 HW after Twins 260. 5'10 37 years old - Stacy_WLS (MFP)

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 272 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 329 views