anyone regret having vsg?

gsp8610
on 3/21/14 10:02 am

i'm scheduled for surgery Monday.  having a few pre surgery jitters!  ive read lots of positive and great success stories here!!  but, does anyone regret having vsg?  thanks

reydogirl
on 3/21/14 10:10 am

I did the first month.  Was sad that I would never get to eat a big meal or enjoy food again.  But it's a process.  I am 6 weeks out now and in the last two weeks I have finally come to terms with my new way of life and eating.  The process has been much more mental than I thought it would be.  As the pounds drop off and on fewer and fewer medications, I am greatful that I had the courage to have the surgery. 

Good luck to you and don't be afraid to share your journey, questions and fears.  Everyone here is very helpful and honest. 

Chelle40D
on 3/21/14 10:18 am
VSG on 03/18/14

I am 3 days pot op and no regrets.  I also have been on this road for a really long time.  I did 6 months pre-op over 2 years ago and backed out.  I called twice in between then and now to get back on track and backed out.  I was jittery all over about it and really did not want to do it.  But I did it.  What helped me immensely was thinking about all of the things I could do when I had more energy and was smaller.  I am the same weight right now that I was when I graduated High School.  I have no skinny clothes or skinny memories.  But I have decades of desires to do things that I have not been able to do and in less than a year, I will be able to (ride that roller coaster, ski, play bball with my son, bike ride with my kids, fit into anything! etc).  Just read about all of the people here and what they are doing and keep the goal in mind of what you will be able to do!

abbyluwho
on 3/21/14 10:27 am - kc, MO
VSG on 06/25/13 with

I regretted it that first week.  When I felt like a truck had run me over and I couldn't even eat a whole SF popsicle!  I cried a lot!  However, at 9 months out, and 70 pounds lighter, I couldn't be happier, and I would most certainly do it all over again! 

HW 276 ( 2008)  SW 228 (6-25-2013) CW 165 (12-23-2013)  Goal: 150

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 3/21/14 10:31 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

Nope.  A few days after surgery I started thinking "WTF did I do to my body?"  It's a very common reaction, so don't be surprised if it hits you.

I'm three months out and could not be happier that I opted for the VSG.  I wish I had done it years ago.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

FindingMyWeigh
on 3/21/14 10:36 am
VSG on 10/30/13

No. What I do regret is not staying on top of my fluids. I've fallen into a weird pattern..I eat most of my proteins by 4 PM and then really start to hydrate..for some reason drinking water etc is not coming easily to me. Also, coffee. I was drinking 1 cup a day but I've found on the days I do that that my blood sugar gets kinda wonky so it's time to cut back on that. 

Down 73 in 5 months..14.6 lbs a month or about 1/2lb a day...works for me!

(deactivated member)
on 3/22/14 3:20 am

I am 3 weeks out, no regrets since day 1.  Problem is same as FindingMYWeigh, fluids are difficult to stay on top of.

Armies100
on 3/21/14 10:39 am - Trophy Club, TX

10 months out and 77 pounds down.  Never a regret

TexasTerritory
on 3/21/14 10:48 am
VSG on 07/22/13
No regrets. Loving my new normal. Didn't even have seconds thoughts after surgery.

Tata64
on 3/21/14 10:59 am

Everyone is different and has there personal opinion, you need to weigh your pros and cons. I myself have regrets because I thought it wouldn't be so emotional for me, I was consider a light weight I'm 4ft 11" 49 yrs. old, highest weight before surgery 206lbs time of surgery 190lbs I'm almost 5 months from the sleeve and weight 145lbs. I think I should've waited and tried something else, but I had my mind set that this was the best thing for me. Plus I took the word of my PCM who had it done a few months before I seen her. She referred me right before she left to Hawaii for a new job. My issues were HP, fatty liver with high eymzines and my ankles would swell up I would walk a lot or stand for a long time. I said if she did it, it shouldn't be so bad. I had no complications, but I hate the way I need to eat. Before surgery I barly ate now I feel cheated plus before I drank plenty of water now I drink less because I'm so full and restricted to 30 min before or after. I never used food for comfort. I just didn't exercise like I was suppose too. I lived and still live a sedatery life, work, home, church and go out on weekends. I know there are a lot of people *****ally need it but doctors and surgeons are too quick to approve the surgery. I go to a military hospital and they are doing WLS like if this was a norm of life. I'm still dealing and working through it, because this has no going back. You decide what is best for you, not what others say. Make sure you have a great support network it's important. Best wishes and many blessings if you have questions please send me in box message.

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 59 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 59 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 237 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 309 views