I went back to weights today...

bigredlt
on 4/21/14 10:09 am - Harrisburg, PA
VSG on 03/07/14 with

And let me tell you, I have missed the love affair I had with them.  I was officially cleared for weights this past Friday, but I couldn't get in with my personal trainer until this morning.  He wanted to be right beside me when I first lifted to watch me, just in case something didn't feel right with the sleeve.  He knows me too well, and knows that I have an extremely high pain threshold.  8 months ago, he was on my spotting team as I was leg pressing 950 pounds and he said, "set it down" I asked him why because I still had 3 more reps to do.  He told me that he heard a bone in my foot snap.  I told him he was full of poop.  He made me stop and go for an xray.  Sure enough, stress-fracture.  Anyway, he made me start off light, and I'm only allowed on certain machines until HE feels comfortable enough to turn me loose with the free weights.  I'm glad he's watching out for me.  I am also glad that i got back to the weights.  Even though it's light weights, i'm still getting the endorphin release afterwards, which I missed.  Today is a good day.

42 y/o, 5'7", HW 289, Start Weight 280. SW 264 on 3/7/14. Diagnosed w/IDC 5/16/14.

Ribigman
on 4/21/14 10:15 am
VSG on 04/10/14

I'm psyched for you, I know I can't wait to get back to the gym and start tearing it up again!

bigredlt
on 4/21/14 10:20 am - Harrisburg, PA
VSG on 03/07/14 with

Thanks so much! I was psyched out this whole weekend... I couldn't sleep, couldn't concentrate... it's like I'm an addict and weights are my heroine.  The physical reaction that you body has to lifting is like no other.  It's not as good as sex, but it might run a close 2nd now since desserts are off the table.  AND... I'm psyched for you as well.  How long do you have to wait?

42 y/o, 5'7", HW 289, Start Weight 280. SW 264 on 3/7/14. Diagnosed w/IDC 5/16/14.

Kelly Jean
on 4/21/14 10:58 am
VSG on 04/08/14

Wow cograts!!!! I'm so excited for you.... I hope when my time comes in another 4 weeks I'm as hyped as you!!!!!! Awesome!!♡♡ 

bigredlt
on 4/21/14 11:30 am - Harrisburg, PA
VSG on 03/07/14 with

Lifting weights is one of the few things that I could do and actually see results. When diets failed, I could still see marked improvement in my strength. I took off lifting well before surgery so I wouldn't risk an injury that could delay my surgery. I'm starting off light, and I am looking forward to building muscle so it can help me burn fat. I have excuses/reasons for lifting. I lift when I'm mad, sad, depressed, happy, frustrated, etc.  If you've never lifted before, get a personal trainer (planet fitness $20/mo trainer included) and give it a try. Go slow, isolate muscles/muscle groups and enjoy!

I'm sorry to burn people out about this, but this is my sport, and I'm passionate about it.

Brad Special
Snowflake

on 4/21/14 10:56 pm
VSG on 12/06/12

I live in bum &*%$ so I am a member of a gym similiar to planet fitness called ***** It is the only one around me for the most part. I paid 99 bucks for the year. They have no trainers. I keep putting a bug in the managers ear and she said she has been trying to get the owner to do some classes or something. We will see. I do have a kid in my night class who is a competitive body builder and wants to be a trainer maybe I can get him to get me on a good plan. He is a pretty nice kid. He used to weigh over 300 when he was younger so he got into bodybuilding.

mmmesser
on 4/21/14 11:58 am

You are good with me to post about this...I want to start lifting (for arm definition, ab definition, strength, and calorie burn).  I definitely am treating myself to a personal trainer at my one year post-op.  Right now I am focusing on my cardio for stamina and increase lung capacity to help increase oxygen flow and just be healthy with a light cardio regimen.  Really looking forward to starting this part of the process.  keep up informed on how it goes.

GingerJen
on 4/21/14 2:31 pm
VSG on 03/07/14

Yay! Me too (since we are surgisisters!) I am supposed to lift light (15-20 reps) for the first 2 weeks--blah! At least it is something. 

I am no powerlifter like you are-but I love the rush of seeing improvements in strength. 

37 y/o female 5'8" HW 355 consult 329 SW (3/7/2014)301 CW 168 goal 170

M1- 26 M2- 14 M3- 15 M4 -13 M5 -16 M6-12 M7-2 M8-5 M9-6 M10-8 M11-1 M12-5  M13-10 Goal reached 4/5/15 total lost 187 lbs total; 133 in the 13 months since surgery

bigredlt
on 4/22/14 5:24 am - Harrisburg, PA
VSG on 03/07/14 with

I started out ( a long time ago ) very light weights and a lot of reps.  Over the years, different locations, different lifting partners, different reasons, I started lifting really heavy.  It's more due to my competitive nature than anything.  I know a woman at work that is a "light weights, lots of reps" kind of gal and she looks wonderful.  It was easy for me to lift really heavy, since, if you think about it, you don't see any skinny power lifters.  And, you always have to "carb-up" before a competition( or is it after.  It was BOTH in my case!) LOL.  Now that I'm losing weight, I don't want to look like a testosterone freak in a dress, so I'm starting very light, and will never build my muscles up in size like they were before.  I'm fine with definition and tone, but I don't want to look like Hulk in a bikini.

Most Active