Vacation after VSG? How long?

Yrk73329
on 6/17/14 2:54 pm

I'm having the VSG on June 24, 2014. How long did it take you to feel well enough to travel and go on vacation?  I would be driving(just me and kids) for 8 hours and going to the beach. Is it reasonable/safe to think I can do this 2 weeks post-op? Is it safe to get in a pool or ocean two weeks out? Should I just not even consider a trip like this so soon after surgery? 

KRISTIN M.
on 6/17/14 5:25 pm

I am exactly 1 week post op and still having a lot of discomfort. plus am very tired. I could not imagine sitting in a car that long plus If you are driving you wouldn't be able to take Pain meds. I think 2 weeks out is way too soon. You are also going to want to be close to your Doctors in case of complications.

HW  259. Sw 230.  Cw 188  TL 71 M1(-15) M2(-10)M3(-6)M4(-6)M5(-5)

pineview01
on 6/17/14 6:01 pm - Davison, MI

I was told I could not get in the pool, hot tub or such for six weeks.  I wouldn't have wanted to drive 8 hours then and to deal with kids on top of that. I personally wouldn't do it.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

chriswife19
on 6/18/14 5:56 am
VSG on 05/28/14

I'm glad I read this today because I had planned to go to a water park over the weekend.  I emailed my surgeon's office and they let me know that I can dangle my legs in a pool but I can't submerge my incisions.  Thank you for stopping me from doing something potentially damaging to my recovery.

Highest weight - 260  Surgery weight - 197.5  Current Weight - 152

lessofme123
on 6/17/14 8:08 pm

I am two weeks out and feel great. I could easily do that except for swimming.  I am not sure when I will be able to submerge my incisions.  I asked last week and they just said to wait till after my post op appointment next week.

worldtraveler
on 6/17/14 8:55 pm - Denver, CO

Everyone heals differently. I'm 23 days post-op but not feeling 100%. I get tired easily. I get faint some days.

I was back to work at 2 weeks post-op and walking 2 days post-op. I wish I had taken another week off of work to rest.

Realistically, give yourself 3-4 weeks to see how you feel. You may also be one of the fortunate ones and feel fantastic 2 weeks out...

All the best to you! 

Kelly Jean
on 6/17/14 9:12 pm, edited 6/18/14 4:12 am
VSG on 04/08/14

I would never have tried it your body had major surgery and needs time to heal that's a really long drive and in 2 weeks you will not be healed. .. it takes at least 30 days for the most part till you can submerge in water... Also what kind of diet will you still be on .. at 2 weeks out i was on liquids still your energy probably won't be there... and i wasn't allowed to drive for 2 weeks my hubby was my chauffer. .. I'd be worried to many thing still going on to be 8 hrs away from my surgeon. .. just my thoughts. .m best of luck...

♡Kelly

Yrk73329
on 6/17/14 10:18 pm

Thank you for your input. I thought it may be possible since many people post things such as "10 days out and couldn't feel better".  lol.  You all have put things into perspective for me. I think I will wait to travel.  

Lemily
on 6/17/14 10:28 pm
VSG on 01/16/14

Couldn't feel better...while in the comfort of your home :). At 2 weeks out, I had just returned to my desk job. I did feel great, but that's because I could nap whenever I wanted to and had everything I needed at my disposal. At 2 weeks you are retraining your body to eat again, dealing with getting protein in and not dehydrating. You will need to focus on you and should not add the extra stress of an 8 hours drive with 3 kids. If you had someone going with who was going to do the driving and help care for the kids, maybe you could pull it off. At 4 weeks, my husband and I drove with our two small children to Washington DC which is a four hour drive. I had to pack all of my food/drinks and even so I did not have everything I needed. I was exhausted.

In order for you to really enjoy the vacation as well, maybe reschedule to the end of August but I would not, personally, go away with 3 kids, 8 hours away, by myself 2 weeks after surgery.

Jiliana2
on 6/17/14 10:21 pm - Ottawa, Canada
VSG on 02/03/14

I was told by my centre that I was not allowed to travel outside of a 2-hr radius of the city for 4 weeks post-op. This is their policy because if complications occur post-op (and they can...) then they want you close enough to the centre to be able to handle it quickly.

While you may feel well enough, you never know. And as the others have said, you will likely not be able to get in the water at 2 weeks post-op. Again, it all depends on your surgeon and your centre. Ask them this question and see what they require. They are in the best position to tell you the realities.

OTTAWA -- 2011 - Contemplated WLS Feb. 15, 2013 - GP Feb. 20 - lung functioning Feb. 22 - blood work Feb. 27 - Referral April 19 - orientation, bloodwork July 10 - nurse July 23 - rheumatologist (VSG) Sept. 12 - Behaviourist & Dietician Oct. 23 - Echocardiogram Nov. 6 - Pre-surgery Class Nov. 12 - Surgeon Jan 13, 2014 - Optifast (3 wks) Jan. 27 - PATTS Feb. 3, 2014 - Surgery (VSG)
HEIGHT: 5'5" HW
303 Pre-Opti 297 SW 271 GW 170 CW 200 (Feb. 8, 2018 - damn the regain!) VSG with Dr. Yelle

Most Active