What's one thing you would tell "the you" from before surgery?

rosewzhere
on 6/24/14 1:42 am - inglewood, CA
husbandfatherandfrien
d14

on 6/24/14 3:01 am

I would tell myself that it is worth it, it is so hard, it is more mentally challenging than physical, that i will look and feel better, that I will crave pepperoni pizza and carbs like I never thought possible, and that I needed to start supplementing my diet with protein drinks long ago.  I am not quite to 4 weeks post-op so I am sure this list will change as the months go by, but for right now, it seems pretty accurate.  I don't regret my decision at all, but, tackling my desire to eat bad food is probably going to be a battle I face the rest of my life.  Finally, I would have told myself to start a more protein focused diet and really started to minimize my portion size months before the surgery so the specter of only eating 4 oz of food wouldn't seem so scary.  

March 2014 (366lbs) - May 29 2014 surgery date VSG (350lbs) - June 9 2014 (329lbs)

SATXVSG
on 6/24/14 3:25 am - Selma(San Antonio), TX
VSG on 04/22/14

I would tell myself to bring some sort of mouthwash as my surgeon did not allow liquids of any kind for 24 hours(including no ice chips).   That was the worst part of the surgery for me.   Surgical pain was minimal.   Also, don't bother bringing the CPAP to the hospital as the surgeon did not want it used.  They will shave your chest in the operating room.  Finally, you wake up with no problems.

Surgery Date 04-22-14 HW 2011 388(lost 60lbs on WW, regained 40) Surgery Consult Weight 1/10/14 - 367 SW 357 - CW 9/15 210.

Stalls are your body's way of telling you not to get too cocky.

5K - 1st 59:00(9/14) PR 33:45(9/15)

10K - 1:14(10/15) 1/2 - 1st 3/20/16

deniseselah
on 6/24/14 7:09 am - Kansas City, MO
VSG on 05/06/14

- that I am doing this for my health and extending my life, NOT my self-worth

- that my "stinking thinking" about myself and my head hunger are not going to magically disappear when I wake up in recovery ... I have to be intentional about improving my relationship to food, and I have to actively love myself RIGHT NOW

:)

(sorry that is like 3 things!)

What shall I return to the Lord for all his bounty to me? 

I will lift up the cup of salvation and call on the name of the Lord,  I will pay my vows to the Lord in the presence of all his people. Precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of his faithful ones.  

O Lord, I am your servant; I am your servant, the child of your serving girl. You have loosed my bonds. -- Psalm 116:12-16

drea29
on 6/24/14 10:40 am
On June 24, 2014 at 2:09 PM Pacific Time, deniseselah wrote:

- that I am doing this for my health and extending my life, NOT my self-worth

- that my "stinking thinking" about myself and my head hunger are not going to magically disappear when I wake up in recovery ... I have to be intentional about improving my relationship to food, and I have to actively love myself RIGHT NOW

:)

(sorry that is like 3 things!)

So true.  I still have to remind myself of these things somedays.  I will also say trust yourself.  Learn what your body needs and not what your mind thinks it needs.  This is going to be a both a physical and emotional process and this is your opportunity to learn and grow into yourself.  Be kind to yourself this is a new life. 

INgirl
on 6/26/14 2:18 am, edited 6/26/14 2:20 am

More than one thing!

That this is a life-time deal, no "goal" to reach, till you die.. Make ANY change you embrace, whether activity or way of eating, something you enjoy. These changes need to be sustainable- if you dislike it.. eventually you will stop doing it.. this is for your health- it's not something you achieve one day and say done! 

You have plenty of time to get healthy, one step in front of the other. It's not an all-or-nothing thing, nor a race against some imaginary expiration date.

No food is "bad" just like no food is "good".. eating a "bad" food does not make you weak, or bad- nor does it doom you (or give you free rein to eat ALL the "bad" foods and restart the next day!) Change your behaviors- one choice at a time, from one moment to the other. Good, better, best, poor. Try to find the best choices that you really like, and eventually you will most often naturally choose them over the poor ones.

Oh, and make your house the safe-zone.. keep the poorest choices out. 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 270 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 329 views