What's one thing you would tell "the you" from before surgery?

Rez_123
on 6/23/14 1:52 pm

This is my first post, but I've been lurking since early January, when I decided to start this journey, and I can't tell you how helpful and inspirational you all have been as I've completed the 6 month insurance required pre-op steps. My surgery is set for July 1, and I can't believe I'm only a week away. "Summer 2014" seemed very far away when I had my consultation, and it's gone by incredibly quick. I can't wait to join the loser's bench, and I'm excited, nervous, and I can't help but think (and hope) where I'll be 3 months from now....at Christmas....one year from now, etc. I think that I'm fully prepared for what's to come, but I probably won't have any idea until I'm actually experiencing it. So with that in mind, what's one thing you would tell "the you" from right before you had surgery? No matter how recent or far out you are! It can be profound or realistic.

VSG on July 1, 2014.  High Weight: 351 Consult Weight: 338 Surgery Weight: 325  Current Weight: 175

6 Month Pre-op: -13 M1: -27 M2: -14 M3: -23 M4: -14 M5: -20 M6: -10 M7: -14 M8: -8 M9: -3 M10: -7 M11: -1 M12:-0 M13:-0 M14:-8

Total Weight Loss: 163lbs

hollyhoosier
on 6/23/14 2:04 pm

I would tell myself that it will be hard but the days after surgery will go quickly, and that I WILL be able to eat again...to just be patient. It will get better. :)

Sleeve Gastrectomy 6-4-14

HW: 302 ; SW: 288

D. Scott
on 6/23/14 2:05 pm
RNY with

I would try much harder to accept myself the way I am. Thats not to say I wouldnt have the surgery I just think I spent so much time being critical of myself and it carried over. As a result I continued to be critical of myself, only now I was doing it without the comfort of a delicious meal to satisfy me. Before you think me cheesy keep in mind you have no idea how much you take comfort from a fulfilling meal until you cant. Again, I wouldnt go back, but please try to remind yourself regardless of the outcome you will try to be content with you any way, shape, or form. I am by the way telling you this from the point of view of a girl who went from a size 20 to a size 8 with lapband....regained it ALL after complications and removal, then started back down the road with sleeve only to feel like I failed when I only lost 1/2 of the weight I had planned. I've been at a plateau for a full year and now working super hard just to maintain. Best of luck!!

(deactivated member)
on 6/23/14 2:08 pm - Canada

Don't expect anything.  You just can't predict how you or your body will react to the surgery.  As soon as you set yourself up with expectations you are either overstating the outcome or limiting the outcome.  Go in with an attitude that each day you will give it your best no matter what you are faced with and with that you will count your blessings.

feels_so_good
on 6/23/14 2:11 pm
VSG on 05/20/14

To stop trying to lose weight on my own and accept the help of the sleeve - about 10 years earlier than I eventually did.

5'10" Male : Consult Weight 428 1/16/14 : Pre-op m1 -3, m2 -12, m3 0, m4 -27 : SW 386 : m1 -25, m2 -22 m3 -15 4 -12: LW 278 CW 320 : Total Loss 108

weese
on 6/23/14 2:39 pm
VSG on 02/26/14

I would tell myself to order that electric blanket before surgery.   My surgery was in February...it was still cold until May here.  about a week out I went on line and ordered a twin size electric blanket.  it was delivered to my door and it has been the best thing I have bought for myself! Hubby can have the air on and when I get cold I just turn on my blanket! lol!

Lisa

Surgery 2/26/14 with Dr. Stephen Marshall in Peoria, Il

Linda B.
on 6/23/14 4:52 pm - CO
VSG on 09/13/12

I would say, don't panic when the scale doesn't move. Pauses (stalls) are normal. Don't get attached to the thrift store clothes that make up the temporary wardrobe, when it is to big, let it go. Oh, and I would say, you are smaller than your eyes and brain think you are.

high weight 230 start of journey weight 217 surgery weight 191 current weight 138

Bufflehead
on 6/23/14 7:14 pm - TN
VSG on 06/19/13

I would tell myself, don't order that 5 lb bag of mint cookie protein powder. Your tastes really will change and by the time the year is out, you'll only have made maybe 4 shakes using it.

grayC
on 6/23/14 9:59 pm
VSG on 05/01/13

I would tell myself..

you will never believe how much this surgery will change your life for the better..

your diabetes will be in remission, your high blood pressure will be gone, also your hi tryglyserides and chlostrol 

your depression you've battled will almost miraculously lift..your marriage will get stronger..

you'll be lighter in so many ways not just the scale...give yourself up to the process fully, (your way has not worked in the past) and you will experience amazing things..and HEY!! YOU DESERVE  THIS!!!

worldtraveler
on 6/23/14 10:41 pm - Denver, CO

Be patient! Recovery will be rough, but worth it and it won't last forever.

Advocate for yourself with what you need (pain management, questions answered)

Use this time to explore your relationship with food and how it has changed.

Most Active