What you wish someone would have told you??

Lovemycurves
on 6/28/14 12:25 pm, edited 6/28/14 12:46 pm

Hi All,

I start my pre-op diet on 7/7 and surgery scheduled for 7/21.  Is there anything you wish you would have known before the pre-op diet or surgery that would have helped you throughout the process?...I'm nervous but looking forward to a healthier life!!

pharmagirl_45
on 6/28/14 12:45 pm - NJ
VSG on 01/14/14 with

I'm assuming you meant 7/6?  Anyway,  I wish I would have know how hard the first three days were going to be.  Hang in there!  Good luck

VSG on 1/14/14 with Dr. Samuel Wasser

Lovemycurves
on 6/28/14 1:15 pm

Oops...its 7/7 and 7/21....was it the pain or the overall experience?

shorty71
on 6/28/14 2:42 pm - CT
VSG on 04/01/14 with

I took pain med inly the first night home so I could sleep. I was tender but that was it. Everyone is different. 

The liquid post of phase was the toughest for me. I was so sick of protein shakes. Still hate them. It get easier. I'm almost 14 weeks out and eating is so different. Food doesn't feel the same in the stomach. I don't regret surgery at all.  It is all worth it. I still can only eat 1-2 ounces of dense proteins at a time.  I can eat 4 ounces of yogurt though but slowly. 

Lovemycurves
on 6/28/14 4:28 pm

Thanks for responding...I wish you continued success in your journey 

pharmagirl_45
on 6/29/14 3:59 am - NJ
VSG on 01/14/14 with

The overall experience.   After the first couple of weeks, things got much better.  

VSG on 1/14/14 with Dr. Samuel Wasser

weese
on 6/28/14 2:49 pm
VSG on 02/26/14

funny...someone posted a thread like this recently.  I agree that the first three days are the worst and running a close second is the first week.  it is better once you get all the IV's out, go home and find a comfortable spot on the sofa propped up on pillows but make sure you keep walking, even if it is back and forth through the house!

You do get tired of the liquid diet...craving something savory... that is hard to find in small liquid quantities! Before you know it you are on to puree and that really helps add some flavor back into your diet.  Find some new recipes and don't be afraid to tweak them a little.  I have found some good, protein rich ideas on the world according to egg face site.  

Expect a three week stall, it happens.......then expect to have them every so many pounds but just keep doing what you are suppose to and the pounds will come off.  And finally as Frisco says, under eat your sleeve.  Do not go into this thinking how much will I be able to eat.  The plan is to keep your restriction and keep yourself on 2-3 oz. meals (whatever your doctor says).  It is about being satisfied with smaller amounts of high quality, healthy foods. Good luck!

Lisa

Surgery 2/26/14 with Dr. Stephen Marshall in Peoria, Il

Lovemycurves
on 6/28/14 4:26 pm

Thanks for the advice 

Goose Bump
on 6/29/14 1:49 pm

Great advice. Just sleeved on 6/25. Thanks for sharing..

VSG on 6/25/14  HW:360 GW:170  33yo 5'8''

TexasTerritory
on 6/28/14 7:27 pm
VSG on 07/22/13
The liquid diet phase post-op is the valley of death but you do survive. Drink because you have to, not because you want to drink. You're not going to like this phase but there is hope on the other side.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 91 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 311 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 361 views