What do you miss post surgery and what do you love now???

GoBlueGirl1998
on 8/6/14 12:42 am - MI

So I was cutting my grass last night (I have a huge yard and lots of time to think) I was thinking about the weekend and weekend plans and that led to me thinking about how I’m going to miss craft beer after surgery. After that it led to me thinking about other things I’ll miss like having a fresh out of the oven baked cookie, going up north (I live in Michigan and we go “up north”) and having smores & sipping on beer by the campfire. I also thought about tailgating and food centric it is. We will try to outdo each other with who has better dips, cookie bars, pasta salads, etc! I realize that I have beer on here a few times, by no means am I an alcoholic but I enjoy beer socially. So after that I started thinking of the things I can wait to do, reclaim, etc. I came up with being able to fit in an airplane seat comfortably, being able to shop at my favorite stores again, fitting back into my clothes from the early 2000’s (even if they are out of date), being able to run again, being able to fit my backside into my seat at Michigan stadium (that hasn’t happen since HS and most normal people can’t fit into those small seats), again sports related….being able to fit comfortably into my seat at Comerica Park, not being embarrassed when I’m out by the pool, riding my bike and looking like I fit on it, not feeling like I may die after I climb two flights of stairs, be able to take better care of my parents because I will have more energy, and last but not least……….not being exhausted after I cut my lawn.

I can’t wait for surgery; I can’t wait to reclaim my health! Looking at my list, the stuff I can’t wait to do out weights the stuff I will miss! Please be honest…………..what do you really miss from before surgery? Also, what do you love now that you had surgery? What is something you love that never crossed your mind or you never looked forward to before surgery??

This forum has been extremely helpful to me. It has picked me up when I have had down days or I have questioned surgery and it keep me motivated!!

Sammy D.
on 8/6/14 12:49 am - New Bern, NC
VSG on 11/06/14

I think the only things I may miss is being able to use my belly as a table, and have perception of being a big loveable teddy bear that my wife loves to cuddle. I might miss being able to freely eat at big family or church gatherings, but I know just to feel better and be able to do things I used to do overrules all else.

HW: 478+ Consult: 478 Pre Op: 453 SW: 438 CW: 293 (7-20-15) GW: 225 LBS Gone: 185

VSG with Dr. T. Ryan Heider at the Center for Surgical Weight Loss at Lake Norman 11-6-14

ACTS 2:38

Stacy_WLS
on 8/6/14 1:15 am

Honestly, I do not miss the things that I thought I would nearly as much as I thought I would.  Food is great yes, but you can still have it.  It is hard to see the sweets etc. at functions, but you can still enjoy food.  I really enjoy food all day long everyday -- I just had to be creative in my cooking.  If I was eating boring untasty food all day, I would be miserable.  

What I love now is that my body isn't preventing me from doing things.  It is opening doors and possibilities.  

VSG: 12/12/13, LBL, small TL, BL/BA: 11/7/14 Twins 12/9/18 HW after Twins 260. 5'10 37 years old - Stacy_WLS (MFP)

Allison L.
on 8/6/14 1:38 am - Berkeley, CA

Stacy_WLS, your last line is perfect. That's exactly how I feel.

In terms of what I miss, there's plenty. Cold champagne on a warm night. A good burrito. Pop Chips, my weakness.

Worth giving up to get what I've gotten? Absolutely.

csbsteph
on 8/6/14 1:49 am, edited 8/6/14 1:50 am - AL
VSG on 03/13/14

Things that I thought I would miss are but a distant faded memory now.  I don't miss Dr. Pepper or Sweet iced tea, or birthday cake or fresh baked cookies.  By the time I get my protein fill there's no room for any junk.  I don't miss being un-healthy.  I too had smaller clothes from the early 2000's that I'm finally able to wear again & I LOVE cleaning out my closet every other week because things don't fit anymore & donating them to thrift shops & in turn buying my down sized stuff while there.  So much of my life before I allowed to revolve around food and occasions where food would be part of the celebration.  Now I celebrate my losses and renewed strength & how much better I'm feeling. I got a second lease on life and a chance to hit the rewind/reset button & I LOVE every min. of it.  I too do my thinkin on the lawn mower as well.  Best of luck and things you think you'll miss when you start getting into your older stuff you've saved I'm sure you won't miss anymore because you'll be on cloud 10.  I would be lying if I said I didn't miss my occasional glass of wine though but no drinking for a year by my Docs plan-all are different with that but mine said none for a year.  I've thought about the wine as I look at the beautiful wine glasses in my china cabinet but as I mentioned above I'm just feeling so much better & happier even without the occasional glass at night.

With God ALL things are possible! VSG 3/13/14 Dr. John Mathews

greensleeved
on 8/6/14 6:49 am
VSG on 07/10/14 with

I drink water out of my beautiful wine glasses. Make me feel fancy !

"Free your ass, and your mind will follow."  HW - 287, Start W - 273, Surgery W - 257, Onederland - 4 months 1 week post op,  100 lbs lost - 8 months 1 week, CW - 162

csbsteph
on 8/6/14 1:48 pm - AL
VSG on 03/13/14

Love it! gonna try that soon with some crystal light & be fancy too.

With God ALL things are possible! VSG 3/13/14 Dr. John Mathews

jenorama
on 8/6/14 2:13 am - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

I had RNY last October and the only thing I kinda miss is the relative ease of eating. For example: going out and being able to eat a nice burger with bun and all the trimmings. Now I can eat a bit of the patty and maybe a bite of bun and there have been a couple of times when I shouldn't have had that last bite and spent some time in discomfort. 

But, when I compare that against everything else I've gained, it's no contest. Like you, I enjoy going to sporting events and I remember going to an SF Giants game a couple of years ago--I had huge bruises on my hips from the seats and spent the entire game in extreme discomfort. This last Saturday, my husband and I went to the first game at the brand new Levi's stadium and I was practically swimming in the seat. 

Flying used to be terrible and I had even bought my own seatbelt extender--don't need that anymore. I have chronic back and shoulder pain that is greatly reduced. I have a sleek new road bike that I don't worry will collapse under me. My husband calls me Shrinking Lady. I love to wear necklaces and I used to have to bypass 16-inch chains, but not anymore!

So yes, I do miss being able to tear into a big juicy burger with fries and a soda, but I would much rather be able to fly, ride my bike, go anywhere and do anything!

Jen

GoBlueGirl1998
on 8/6/14 3:12 am - MI

I love that you were comforable in the new stadium!! I can't wait to feel good in my seat and not feel like I was poured in!! Thanks for keeping your post real!

GoBlueGirl1998
on 8/6/14 3:14 am - MI

Thanks for the responses!! I'm not sure what I'm getting myself into, I think I have a slight clue but the responses help!! I'm ready for the challange!! I can't wait until the day I no longer miss fresh baked cookies!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 65 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 249 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 316 views