Everybody Was Kung Fu fighting.

Justme7
on 8/6/14 7:52 pm, edited 8/6/14 8:13 pm - ID

Where do I begin.... First of all it is 3am and I am on the losers bench and awake for the day. It has been a crazy journey so far.  I made it to surgery after being awake the day of surgery at 1am due to so much fear, anxiety, and dry heaves.  The surgery went well and I woke up with VERY little pain, gas discomfort or nausea.  I was moved to my room after being in recovery and watched tv and returned emails. After several hours I was up walking laps around the nurses station. I still have very little pain and no nausea. The fun part came last night at 8pm as I still had not gone pee for the day and my surgeon doesn't do catheters during surgery. I had to pee really bad and tried, but my system was still asleep from surgery. So they had to do a catheter to empty my very over full bladder. It took them three tries and three different nurses to get the darn thing to work. I was given a shot to help calm me as it took so many tries and each time they kept fishing around trying to get it in far enough and in the right spot.  Also sleep around here is non existent.  My resting heart rate continues to stay low and so every 5-10 minutes the heart monitor beeps 3 times. So, to sleep with beeps every 5-10 minutes is impossible so here I lay at 3am.  But hey I had surgery and am alive after backing out 2 times before due to fear and almost walking out after I was being prepared for surgery this time. Today I have my leak test and start drinking fluids. I went for 5 walks yesterday and am told I will do more today. I feel I am ahead of the game as they said a lot of people are not feeling so good the first day and doing so many long walks.  

I just want to give a big shout out to all the people on this site and all my friends for your positive words and encouragement.  I went back and read all the positive things people wrote to me over the past several months and it helped a lot when it was 2am and I was ready to cancel my cab ride to the hospital.  

I will give updates along the way.   

Bufflehead
on 8/6/14 8:56 pm - TN
VSG on 06/19/13

Yay, glad you are doing so well even with the catherization yuckiness! It sounds like your care team is doing a good job with considering your feelings and keeping you calm even if they have to inflict several catheter attempts on you. And ugh, I remember the lack of sleep in the hospital - made me feel wretched. Keep walking and check in here when you can

cappy11448
on 8/6/14 9:10 pm

I'm so glad the surgery went well and you have little pain, or nausea.  That's wonderful.  Sorry to hear about the catheter and all.  I think you will love your sleeve and new energy and health.  It is the start of a new day for you!  The next few weeks may be challenging as you get used to your new tummy.  But it will be so worth it in the end.

Hang in there.  You are doing great.

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

SophieNJ
on 8/6/14 9:28 pm - Parsippany, NJ
VSG on 03/05/13

Congrats!! You did it!!  So glad you are feeling good (well, other than the pee and sleep issues).  you'll be home soon, no more beeping, and sweet sleep with come.  Yes, the peeps here on OH are the best!!  They gave me the courage to get wls, and support in many ways.

Best wishes as you continue your journey!

Sophie

HW 275 SW 246 CW 162.5  GW 150  ( 5'1"  Over 1 1/2 inch lost in the last few yrs! LOL) lost 50 lbs on my own, stable for 3 yrs, gained back 21 during year b4 surgery.

Texasgirl321
on 8/6/14 10:17 pm

So glad you are doing well with little pain.  I had more pain than expected but today is much better.  Just hard to get the water in right now.  Hope you have a great day

Janet

greensleeved
on 8/6/14 11:05 pm
VSG on 07/10/14 with

Hard part is over. Welcome to the loser's bench!

"Free your ass, and your mind will follow."  HW - 287, Start W - 273, Surgery W - 257, Onederland - 4 months 1 week post op,  100 lbs lost - 8 months 1 week, CW - 162

TheNewT
on 8/6/14 11:28 pm
VSG on 08/04/14

Glad you are doing well. I had my VSG Monday and sleep still hides from me. Since I'm up I just take the time to walk, sip and use the spirometer. Each day I feel better. I'm just trying to make it through the first week. We can do this! 

Donna H.
on 8/6/14 11:43 pm, edited 8/6/14 11:44 pm - MI
VSG on 08/04/14

That's great that you're not having pain issues!

I had to be cath'd a couple of times while in the hospital. My bladder was slow to get back to normal after surgery and that's not uncommon. The nurse disconnected my IV and made me drink as much water/fluids as I could and within a couple of hours, I was peeing on my own. So try to drink fluids. I know it's hard (I'm only 3 days out myself), but getting fluids "the normal way" will help to wake up your bladder. Sip, sip, sip!

5'6" ConsultW: 312.4 (3/29/14) VSG w/ Dr. K Krause: 287.4 (8/4/14) 

Pre-op: -25 M1: -16.8 M2: -10.8 M3: -14.4 M4: -7.3

Kelly Jean
on 8/6/14 11:52 pm
VSG on 04/08/14

Congratulations and welcome to the loosers bench! !!!:-) ... best of luck and a very speedy recovery! !!:-)

♡ Kelly

Mrs_Desire _
on 8/6/14 11:53 pm - Houston, TX
VSG on 11/18/13

Congrats and welcome to the journey! 

Rest up!!!

Myfitnesspal: MsDesire​  - Revision from Realize Band Patient

Height: 5'10" HW: 305  SW: 298 Surg Goal: 195 Endo Goal: 165 

Most Active