week 2 + 1 day 800 calorie days?

luvmypuggies
on 10/17/14 4:18 pm

I didn't have acid problems personally, but I've been reading this forum for several months and I can tell you that some PPI's work better or worse for different people.  You might want to call your surgeon and see if they can try a different one for you to see if that helps.  If the acid is controlled, it seems like most people experience no hunger at all for a long time after surgery.  I hope you get some relief from this so you can maximize the benefits of your sleeve - that's a lot to go through and still have to feel hungry.  Hang in there! :)

Cindy B.
on 10/17/14 5:01 pm
VSG on 10/22/12

I'm going to be a bit blunt here. It sounds like you're able to eat too much food this early out. I was able to eat Tablespoons of food to begin with. There wasn't any ounce measuring in the very beginning, and certainly not 4-5 ounces of any food. I could eat 1/2 of a Baby Bell cheese and be full. Once I started eating Greek yogurt, I was able to eat a full yogurt, but that's not a solid/dense protein like eggs, cheese, and real meat are. I would want to talk with the surgeon or your NUT to find out for sure what you're supposed to be eating and how much to eat, then try really hard to follow it. It sounds like you're on a PPI, but maybe you need to find out about switching to a different one. I have read several people say how much acid mimics hunger in our new stomachs.

I'm coming up on my 2 year anniversary from having my surgery and even this far out I can eat about 1/2 a cup of food, This equals up to 3 ounces of chicken or beef and only 2 or 3 small bites of vegetables or pasta. For breakfast I'm able to eat 1 scrambled egg with 1 piece of sausage or 1 piece of bacon. I thought you might like to see what my capacity is after 2 years of living the sleeved life. I hope this helps...

Surgery weight 255     GW 140     CW 128

Missourimedic
on 10/17/14 7:42 pm
VSG on 10/06/14 with

I to will be blunt, MHO you are eating way to much for having a new sleeve! I did not feel anything for almost 9 days post op, and now I can feel when I eat to much. I limit dense foods to 2 table spoons at a time other wise it is to much and feels bad, liquid is 6 oz over serveal minutes or 10 minutes with no problems. I think you should call your nurse help line ASAP and ask how much you should be eating and MEASURE that out and only eat that amount at a time and fight the "hungry pains" for a few days. I don't get "hungry pains" I get stomach/gut rumbles and gut rumbles if I don't eat, but not hungry pains. You need to be very careful at this stage in your recovery and not eat to much at a time unless you stretch out your new stomach. 

Tracey C.
on 10/17/14 11:34 pm
VSG on 12/27/13

At 10 months I do 600-800 cal per day.......and at a couple wks, I was half maybe more of that.  You need to see your surgeon, nutritionist or Bariatrian for direction.  When you heal, and are able to eat more your calories will keep going higher and wt loss will stop.

roseygirl
on 10/18/14 4:38 am

Just to further clarify at my 1 week post op nut class they brpught us food and showed us what and how to eat. On that day i slected 1 hard boiled and and 2 oz of beams with cheese. At that time i could eat only 1/2 the egg and 1/2 the beans but many people in the class could do a whole 4oz serving. So i am using 4 oz tupperwares to measure my food and am not doing carbs or sugars but was surprised per myfitnesspal that my calories are 600-800 daily when so many other peoples is like 300 or 400 cal at this stage. Perhaps it's because my program allows real food asap at one week? Either way I will be attending the hospitals support group and 2 month nut classes to learn more and keep on track. 

VSG Surgery 10/02/14

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Lady1000
on 10/18/14 5:14 am

I am 3 weeks out and cannot eat 4 ounces, not even close.  For hunger  ask about taking an extra dose of acid medication.  Could your sleeve be too big? Doctors make sleeves differently, some larger some smaller. If 4-5 ounces fits in there there has to be a large stomach.  You might be eating what your sleeve lets you eat 

5 years of waiting and I finally have my sleeve!!!!

Dr Rodolofo Wilhelmy VSG September 2014 

roseygirl
on 10/18/14 5:18 am

that is a good question. My doctor said because I'm a revision and I had a lot of scar tissue it was a very complicated surgery and he actually had me stay in hospital an extra day to make sure everything was healing okay. Maybe he had to make it bigger due to the scarring? he had actually told me that he didn't even know if he would be able to do a VSG and we had agreed that plan B would be a bypass if the scarring was too bad. what should normally be fairly quick surgery ended up taking almost double the time and he said it was rather complicated but he did do the VSG because he knew it's  what I wanted.

VSG Surgery 10/02/14

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

1slusher1
on 10/18/14 5:37 am

I feel like I can hold to much, even though I try keeping it at 2oz, I feel I could eat more. My menu has mostly been refried beans with cheese and cottage cheese. Can you feel the fullness more with more solid foods?

Gwen M.
on 10/18/14 8:00 am
VSG on 03/13/14

When you stomach is healing from the nerves being severed, you will often not get any sort of reliable full signal.  This is not because the sleeve is "too big," this is because you have no nerves to relay that information to your brain.  

Which is why it's so important to weigh and measure everything, because you can easily damage your stomach by over filling it.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Gwen M.
on 10/18/14 7:58 am
VSG on 03/13/14

1 - Acid can mimic hunger.  Are you taking a PPI such as Prilosec or Nexium?  If you aren't, ask your surgeon.  If you are, ask your surgeon for a different/stronger one.  

2 - Right now your stomach is healing.  You might think that you're hungry, but your stomach is a liar.  You can't trust it.  This "hunger" is most likely from acid or it's head hunger that you can work on ignoring.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 101 views