Help!! I...Can't...Stop...Shopping!!

Laura222
on 11/29/14 1:34 pm
VSG on 07/24/14

"Hi, my name is Laura, and I have a shopping problem.... " 

OMG y'all! Lately I've wanted to go shopping so much.  I had to say good-bye to Lane Bryant, the plus size section of Maurices no longer works for me. I had done good with the first 50ish pounds. I only bought one pair of jeans when the ones that I had were falling off even with a belt. Now, that I've moved to the front of Maurices, there are so many more options! Then today we went bridesmaid dress shopping for my cousins wedding and she wanted to go shopping after, we went to Charming Charlie-OMG! I have got to stop buying clothes. I don't plan on stopping yet. Technically I want to lose 50ish more pounds, so I don't want to spend money on clothes that I won't be able to wear for long. But at the same time I only have a couple "outfits" and the other days I wear my t-shirts that are 2 sizes too big and my jeans. Like its to the point where it's obvious that my clothes are too big. I can't afford to buy new clothes like this if they aren't going to fit for long. 

HW: 275  SW: 267.4 (1st day of pre-op diet)  Pre-op: -16.5lbs  M1:-17.8  M2:-11.9  M3:-12.5   M4:-16.5   M5:-10.5   M6:-5.1

bellamorte17
on 11/29/14 3:11 pm
VSG on 09/10/14

First, congrats on the weight loss. :)  I have been buying clothes from second hand stores and from community selling sites on facebook. The nice thing about that is the clothes are cheap!  And I can resell what I outgrow (or the opposite of that really). It is an awesome feeling when the clothes that used to be snug are now falling off the hips, but you have to shop or you will be drowning in ugly too big clothing!! lol have fun with it, but remember if you go a little crazy you can return within a reasonable time clothing with tags or just do like I do and resell it! 

Bufflehead
on 11/29/14 6:38 pm - TN
VSG on 06/19/13

shopping in thrift stores, on EBay, and at www.thredup.com has been a good middle ground for me. It may seem wasteful to buy clothes you aren't going to wear for long, but IMO if you can afford it (and you can really get great deals in thrift stores - I found a $500+ pair of Armani trousers for $12), it will help you feel great about your weight loss and how you present yourself to the world with properly fitting clothes.

Mary Gee
on 11/29/14 9:05 pm - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

Isn't it great to have choices when shopping!!??!!  I love it.  But right now I am shopping at thrift stores -- it is amazing what you find there.  I went to one store where on Fridays you can fill a plastic shopping bag for $5 -- I got two pairs of jeans and three tops that day.  Everything was in great condition too. 

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

Gwen M.
on 11/30/14 12:34 am, edited 11/30/14 12:35 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I definitely feel the lure of shopping these days, which is weird, since I've never been interested in shopping before.  Luckily I've been able to keep it pretty much reined in.  I'll buy exercise clothes if I need them (grumble winter), and I bought a pretty dress for my upcoming voice recital, but I've been pretty good about staying around from just random clothes because they're pretty.  

I also switched to skirts after I'd lost about 50 pounds, so I have around 10 skirts that are "one size fits all" and will see me through until my goal.  It was expensive initially, but has saved me a lot of money in the long run.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

greensleeved
on 11/30/14 2:16 am
VSG on 07/10/14 with

EBAY! I've had to keep myself from buying everything in sight, but ebay is a great way to get good used clothing. And as I keep going down in size I can always turn around and sell them again if need be. It's my virtual thrift store   I've gone from a (tight) 26/28 to an 18/20, but I can't wait to get out of the plus section!  Also, a belt can help cinch in some of those big shirts and give them a new shape.

"Free your ass, and your mind will follow."  HW - 287, Start W - 273, Surgery W - 257, Onederland - 4 months 1 week post op,  100 lbs lost - 8 months 1 week, CW - 162

greensleeved
on 11/30/14 2:18 am
VSG on 07/10/14 with

And with skirts I've hand sewn some of the waistbands so they don't fall off. Not gorgeous but nobody can see if you don't tuck in your shirt. Has saved me a ton of money.

"Free your ass, and your mind will follow."  HW - 287, Start W - 273, Surgery W - 257, Onederland - 4 months 1 week post op,  100 lbs lost - 8 months 1 week, CW - 162

mevoila86
on 11/30/14 5:41 am

I'm lucky. Being the hoarder that I am, I have clothes in many different sizes that I can fit into as I lose weight. But I can't resist the black friday deals to fill in the holes! I scooped up some sweaters form Old Navy for $9 a piece. They're new, just my size and stretchy, so I should be able to wear them for the season. I have been able to limit real purchases to shoes and special events. I bought a suit on clearance for a work thing. I just bought a dress for 50% off for NYE. Other than that, I've been shopping my storage bins which feels just as good!

Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy: October 9, 2014 with Dr. Val Prokurat at Centra State Medical Center in Freehold, NJ.

ElizaM
on 11/30/14 6:22 am
VSG on 07/24/14

I'm buying and selling on eBay! Mostly selling and then I spend judiciously at Marshall's. I've been doing so well, I cleaned out my parent's house and came home with tons of things to list. I've also bought from Thred up with good results. As soon as things don't fit, I list them on eBay.

Is there anyone whose closet you can raid? I've had to buy pants but my mom supplied me with a ton of sweaters and tanks in a range of sizes. Ask your friends if they need to clean out their closet. 

32F 5'8" High weight: 432 | Consult weight: 396 | Surgery weight: 335 | Current weight: 170

GoBlueGirl1998
on 11/30/14 7:48 am - MI

I feel you and I'm not as far along as you are!! There were so many sales over the weekend and I didn't really need s new winter coat or three new shirts! I told myself they would get me thru to spring!

bTW, I love charming Charlie's!

Most Active