Hair loss fast and furious help,,

2ndtimesacharm
on 1/4/15 10:04 am

Ok I'm 4 months in and boom my hair is falling out like crazy I had surgery August 20th and am down 72 pounds I get all my protein in even more usually 90 grams a day 

what can I do to slow this down!! It's awful please help!! 

SandyB_in_CA
on 1/4/15 10:22 am
VSG on 10/20/14

I am about 2.5 months out (Oct 20).. I have always had what I thought was significant hair loss (even prior to surgery), now its even worse. So I feel your pain. I keep reminding myself that it is temporary.

SulowskiT
on 1/4/15 10:33 am

Nothing you can do but wait. I am 6.5 months out and I have lost half my hair, and it is still falling out, but slower thank goodness.  My doctor said about another 3 months and then it will stop and will grow back! 

I feel your pain!! I am somewhat lucky as I had lots to start with but that doesn't make it any easier. I can't even imagine what a mess It will be once it all starts growing back - and my doctor said that this is the one and only promise that he can make me!! It will grow back. 

I tried biotin but found that the hair on other parts of my body started growing crazy (and not in places you want extra hair growth). 

Hang in there! Keep your eye on the prize!!!

Valerie G.
on 1/4/15 10:39 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

What you are experiencing is called Telogen Effluvium.  It's a reaction to your surgery and there's no vitamin, protein, or shampoo that will stop it.  It runs its course (a couple of months) and stops when new healthy hair pushes out the old.  The best thing you can do is get a cute layered cut to blend in that new growth about to emerge.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

allyray
on 1/4/15 1:02 pm

I remember about 20 years ago I tried losing weight by eating only lettuce, canned tuna, and diet Pepsi.  My hair fell out like crazy at that point so I'm wondering if it's a malnutrition thing? Just a thought...

LilSleeved
on 1/4/15 2:49 pm

I think a component of the hair loss is malnourishment. I have lost over 300 lbs and never had any hair loss. 

Lost 271lbs with my LapBand in 22 months!  My Band malfunctioned and I gained almost 42lbs and then revised to the Sleeve 9/24/12!  I lost another 140 lbs with my Sleeve!  Loved the LapBand and Lovin' The Sleeve!

gmantek
on 1/4/15 10:30 pm

Nothing you can do - my advice: get a cute new haircut!  I'm 9 months out and my hair has recently stopped falling out in clumps.  I can now stop swiffering my bathroom floor everyday.  Since 3 months I've been losing hair and I also have had over 90g protein a day.  I have always had long flowing hair.  Now I have a stylish bob and no one knows I was forced to do it bc my hair was thinning so much!  I get so many compliments on my new haircut that I've forgotten the reason I had to do it!  It will stop in a few months.  And for 72lbs in 4 months, I'd say it's worth it!

Beth Of Fletchair
on 1/4/15 11:55 pm
with

Valerie G is so right.  Don't waste your money on fixes that don't work.  The hair that is falling now died 3 months ago.  It takes that long to finally fall out.  The problem may already be solved and your hair may have already stopped dying.  New hair may have already started to grow.  You just can't see it yet.

Besides nutrient deficiency, stress, medications and even depression can contribute to Telogen Effluvium. Also, if you have ever experienced it before it make you more likely again.  I am four months out from surgery and, as a cancer survivor who lost all her hair to chemo, I am losing hair now. Thankfully it won't be anyway near as bad as the last time.

The best thing you can do is follow your doctor's instructions, get plenty of exercise and relax.   

Tracy D.
on 1/5/15 12:42 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Bad news:  there is nothing you can probably do.  Some of us just lose a LOT more hair than others - I was one of them.  Between months 4-8 it was crazy/scary loss.  My hair guy says I lost at least half my hair in the first year after surgery.  It's finally come back to pre-surgery levels (which weren't great to begin with!).  

You are getting all your protein, make sure you are getting all your vitamins and extra biotin so that the new hair that comes in is healthy.  If you're having dry skin and other issues perhaps have your thyroid and other hormone levels checked by your doctor.  

And know that this too shall pass...I haven't heard of one person on these forums that went completely bald.  Not that it helped me during the worst of my time 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Will2014
on 1/5/15 1:05 am

Remember that it's important to get sufficient FATS as well as protein. Many of our vitamins require fats to be properly absorbed, so also try to plan meals around your vitamin intake of A,D,E and K.  While B complex vitamin and protein deficiencies are most commonly associated with hair loss, it also results from generalized poor caloric intake. When the body feels like it's starving, it shuts down areas of least import....such as that beautiful coif on your head. The good news...it's all temporary! What's lost WILL return, once your body's surgical shock and poor nutritional state is rectified. In the mean time try those cool wigs you've always wanted to try, and just try to relax and have fun with that for a bit. You're gonna be better than ever soon enough lady! Just keep your chin up during this rough patch.

Most Active