Feeling like a failure. Ladies help!

TexasPrincess08
on 2/13/15 3:18 am
VSG on 09/15/14

So I need to make a confession and come clean about how I have been eating the past 3 to 4 weeks. I will be 5 months post op Sunday and I'm happy where I'm at, but I know deep down I could be doing better. I have NOT been doing what I'm supposed to, it seems that I like many have started to fall into my bad habits. And I feel like my period is to blame as well as myself. I have had ice cream, pizza, sweet potato fries, and I even attempted to try to eat a fried pickle (that didn't go so well). How do you get through your period without ruining everything you have worked so hard for? I feel as though since I don't see my therapist every two weeks anymore that I'm alone. I'm not eating bad things because I want to fill an emotion, but I'm eating because its something I think I want or a craving I wanna get rid of, but then the next craving gets worse. I have been looking on pintrest for "healthier" alternatives to some of the things that I have been craving, but is that a good idea? or is it a gateway to more bad habits? I just need some guidance in a no judgment place and I know that's what I'll get here. I appreciate this community so much and feel as though your like my second family with all the support. Thank you in advance for the help and suggestions. Also if you have any snack ideas that are high in protein besides jerky, cheese, yogurt, deli meat that would be great.

mmsmom
on 2/13/15 3:24 am - Woburn, MA

I saw my therapist this week and she told me motivation is short term - you need to find a new motivator. Do you have an upcoming function?  Spring clothes?  something to work towards?  

I can't help with the PMS business as I was past that when I was sleeved, but I'm sure it doesn't make it easy.  Maybe try to pinterest or google some low cal/fat/sugar options that would satisfy the cravings.  I wouldn't have survived without no sugar added fudgesicles.  Good luck.

VSG on 04/28/2014

TexasPrincess08
on 2/13/15 3:29 am
VSG on 09/15/14

I'm wanting to do my engagement pictures this summer, but part of me is thinking of putting it off since I don't know when the actual wedding day is. I do feel like my motivation is gone, I will hopefully be starting a new job that I will love and it also comes with insurance so I will be able to start seeing my therapist again.

Gwen M.
on 2/13/15 3:40 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Are you able to start seeing your therapist again?  

I get through my period by telling myself that I make my own choices.  My period doesn't force me to do anything, I control me.  For me, that's a pretty powerful thought to know that I'm in control.  

But.. I also have some cravings that I give into because I know they'll get stronger and stronger and drive me crazy if I don't give into them when they're tiny and manageable.  When I feel the need for a snack, I eat cheese and that's nice.  But sometimes I have some chocolate covered almonds.  I'm a big believer in moderation and, at least so far, it's working well for me.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

TexasPrincess08
on 2/13/15 3:55 am
VSG on 09/15/14

I wont be able to see my therapist until I get insurance again that's why i'm hoping to get this new job because I think u get benefits after 3 months. I feel totally out of control right now and I don't know why. It may have to do with stress since Im trying to find a full time job while I work part time somewhere else and I'm struggling to pay bills cause I only work 3 days and its only maybe 4 or 5 hrs at a time all while going to school full time.

Gwen M.
on 2/13/15 3:57 am
VSG on 03/13/14

The best advice I can give is to work on pinning down what is making you feel out of control, and to work on the things you can control.  Which, I know, is easier said than done :/ 

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Modest_Phoenix
on 2/13/15 4:08 am, edited 2/13/15 4:09 am

I find that if I am craving something sweet when I eat dried fruit it helps the craving.  I like raisins and cranberries the best.  When I am craving salty (which is much more often for me) I like roasted, salted nuts - almonds and cashews are my faves, dill pickles, and all sorts of olives.  A lot of the time I crave texture rather than flavor.  For crunchy I eat celery or baby carrots.  For creamy I eat hummus or flavored cream cheese both of which work really well with celery. I haven't had WLS but those are my go to snacks right now. 

Highest weight 208 in 2008 ** VSG 11/27/15 weight 193 ** Current weight 128 ** Goal weight range 100 -110 ** Height - 4'11" ** Age - 49

Hislady
on 2/13/15 6:02 am - Vancouver, WA

The best thing you can do in my way of thinking is get rid of the carbs. Carbs make you crave more carbs and they do nothing to helps us. It's also cheaper to nibble on a piece of cheese than to eat cookies or ice cream. The stress of needing a job is probably playing a big roll in the out of control feelings. If you can deal with that it will probably get you back on track. Good luck!

FindingMe15
on 2/13/15 6:36 am

Texas princess, I admire you! What a brave post! And girl yes periods are the worst. My thought is, "you don't mess with anything that can bleed for 5 days and still.not die!" Haha

That aside. I think this is supposed to be a lifestyle change for us. And with that we shouldn't feel deprived but we should look for substitutions. For the bad things we once ate. Here are a few I have found, also ensure they are packed w protein so you are not left wanting more:

Pizza=cauliflower pizza

Chinese food= healthy cashew chicken and cauliflower "rice"

Pancakes= protein pancakes

Desserts= all kinds of quest bar and protein powder treats. Did you see the raspberry cream cheese brownie recipe on the website yesterday? Sounded amazing!

Chips= quest chips

Ranch= lo source am with ranch seasoning packets

There are so many more on pinterest, the trick is researching, testing and eating in moderation. 

You have come so far, I I know you are capable of more!!!! Good luck wls friend! You got this!

KayDeeCee
on 2/13/15 8:58 am
VSG on 01/26/15

FindingMe...I haven't been able to find this on pinterest. Do you have a link? Thanks. Kay :-)

5'7" HW 256 (1/6/2014) SW 236.2 (VSG: 1/26/2015) CW 165.5 (01/10/2016) Total Weight Lost 90.5
Pre-Op: -19.8; Month 1: -19; Month 2: -12.7; Month 3: -9.9; Month 4: -7.2; Month 5: -6.4; Month 6: -2.8; Month 7: -3.7; Month 8: -4.2; Month 9: -0.6; Month 10: -2.1; Month 11: -0 Month 12: -2.1

GOALS: BMI Normal = 159 (6.5 to go); 100 LBs Lost = 156 (9.5 to go); FINAL GOAL: 139?? (26.5 to go)

Most Active