1 year anniversary **long post**

bigredlt
on 3/7/15 12:35 am - Harrisburg, PA
VSG on 03/07/14 with

I had my VSG one year ago today. So much has happened. If I had to make this decision all over again, I wouldn't change a thing. I am so happy it's hard to describe. My highest weight was 289. I weighed 280 when I made the decision to have the surgery. I now weight 170. I was diagnosed with breast cancer 2 months after my VSG, lost both breasts and had them rebuilt. I still lost 110 lbs. I was probably the most skeptic person to ever have this surgery, I seriously thought I would be the first one in history that it wouldn't work on. As long as you stick to the program, make a commitment to yourself (not anyone else) that you will abide by the guidelines, it works!

This surgery cured me of several conditions: pre diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, sleep apnea, and I was able to stop taking my arthritis meds. I know I fared better through my cancer surgeries than if I would have been 100+ lbs heavier.

Now, to those wonderful NSVs!!!!

I can wipe my butt without dislocation of my shoulder in the process. I can cross my legs all the way. I have a thigh gap. I have collar bones. I can fit in a bathroom stall. I can go thru a doorway with someone else. I can see my feet. I can look in the mirror. I can hide behind things other than a vehicle. I can tie my shoes without cutting off oxygen. I can walk and breathe at the same time. I can weigh myself at home. I can sit in the bath tub without it overflowing when I get in. I can fit into the back seat of a car. I can sit on someone's lap without committing homicide. I can be picked up off the ground. I can take a piggy back ride. I can sit on a chair without fear of it breaking under me. I don't have to find the big camping chairs that are rated for bigger people. The biggest one of all...after 22 years, my daughter is able to completely hug me with her arms meeting behind me. Before, she just reached as far as she could, fingers never meeting. A full complete hug from my only child.

Here's some pics, before and afters

Weight loss photos

I still have a hard time with my brain catching up. My brain still thinks I'm 280 sometimes but I'm getting used to it a little each day. I don't plan on forgetting where I was. I'm getting the numbers "289" tattooed on my wrist so I'll never forget, and as a reminder of where I could end up if I let myself go again.

At last, if it weren't for this website, I would be waddling thru the doctors office and pharmacies, being treated for preventable diseases, still looking for the magic pill that does not exist. My weight loss resulted from eating the right foods in much smaller portions and exercising. I suffered the stalls just like anyone else does, but I did not lose any hair. As long as you eat your protein and keep yourself healthy, you'll be fine. I was under anesthesia for a total of 39 hours covering 3 separate surgeries all within 9 months of each other and no hair loss with that.

Thanks for letting me share.

42 y/o, 5'7", HW 289, Start Weight 280. SW 264 on 3/7/14. Diagnosed w/IDC 5/16/14.

ywgchick
on 3/7/15 12:41 am
VSG on 05/08/14

Love your post! I'm with you on the hugging your daughter thing!

Height: 5'1 | HW: 200 lbs | CW: 136

Shel25
on 3/7/15 12:49 am

What a crazy year you have had!  Great job sticking with the program, it would have been so easy to derail when you received your diagnosis.  Thank you SO MUCH more posting -- very inspirational!

~Shel 

HW:361 SW:304 (VSG 12/04/2014)Mo 1:-32  Mo 2:-13.5  Mo 3: -13.5  Mo 4 -9.5  Mo 5: -15  Mo 6: -15  Mo 7: -13.5  Mo 8: -17  Mo 9: -13  Mo 10: -12.5  11/3/2015 Healthy BMI Reached Mo 11: -9  Mo 12: -8    12/27/2015 Goal Weight Reached!

Journey2be
on 3/7/15 12:54 am

That's an amazing journey, congratulations!! You look awesome too. I'm looking forward to those nsv's :)

Luvmygs
on 3/7/15 12:54 am
VSG on 12/04/14

What an amazing journey you've had. You should be very proud of yourself. Congratulations on not only battling with your weight but with breast cancer. Your blog made me cry, but when I read your post it brought much joy. I love your positive attitude and how you've came out from all that life threw at you. You are truly an inspiration for me who is only 13 weeks post op. Thank you for your posting and may you continue to have good health. Christine

Kathy S.
on 3/7/15 1:25 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

What an amazing story of success and we are so glad you have shared it here with us 

We hope you will share your before and after photos with us on our Before and After Photo Gallery!

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

MegZorar
on 3/7/15 1:34 am

Your post made me happy. Thanks for sharing. And congratulations on a job well done.

ladyfavor
on 3/7/15 1:50 am

Congrats my dear

Loser2542
on 3/7/15 3:07 am

Very inspirational! I love your positive attitude. Thanks for sharing.

HW: 388 SW: 240 CW: 172      Surgery Date 11/07/2014     VSG with Dr. Chengelis

grayC
on 3/7/15 7:24 am
VSG on 05/01/13

So happy for you!!

you overcame so much and preserved where others

would curl up in a ball..

the close up before/after of you is my favorite..

your eyes shine so brightly in the after,

you can see the transformation of the inside..

there is a lightness...

Most Active