Traveling with protein powder!

PrayMore
on 4/7/15 10:52 pm

Hi everybody!

I'm going on a family vacation to -gulp- Disney World! I'm four months out and excited for this trip! BUT, I am nervous about the meal plan and finding 'counter service' food that fits my program. I got some great ideas from my NUT for survival. (Also, away from my gym routine is making me twitch, too.) BUT, it's all good. I can do it!

Anybody travel with protein powder? I want to continue with my morning protein coffee - I make the slurry thingie and add to my decaf. I am planning to put enough scoops in a ziplock bag in my suitcase. I'd also like to jam in my box of Coconut Dream (60-cal.) milk that I use for the slurry. Is there any reason not to do this? Does the airline allow the random substance in the luggage? (I'll have a baggie full of my vits, too!)

Any other travel tips are welcome! 

THANKS!

5'6", VSG on Dec. 2

Kiwideb
on 4/7/15 11:36 pm
VSG on 01/19/15

If I was you, I'd buy a small pack/container of protein powder that you leave unopened/sealed and pack that. A baggy of protein powder is asking for trouble IMO.

Id also pack your vitamins in their containers too. Much easier to justify what they are in the case they search your bags.

PrayMore
on 4/7/15 11:52 pm

Yes, I was afraid of that. I've tried many types of protein and like Celebrate the best. The tub is GIANT. Maybe I'll visit at GNC or something to get smaller packets of a different type of protein. I can switch it up for a week, I guess. I have a few Unjury unflavored packets that I can bring. I thank you for your advice! 

5'6", VSG on Dec. 2

snowiekate
on 4/9/15 12:51 am - FL

FYI, Celebrate does have individual packs - I love their ENS shakes, so I order these for travel. :)

The Vitamin Shoppe also has CLICK coffee protein in single-serve packets!

~ snowiekate

High 307.2, Pre-liquid: 290.3, Surgery: 282.6

Surgery date May 31, with Dr. Radecke (Riverside Surgical in Sebastian, FL)

Tracy D.
on 4/8/15 12:14 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

I've traveled a couple times over the last year and never had any issues with protein powder or vitamins going through checked luggage or being scanned with my carry-on. 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

psychoticparrot
on 4/8/15 12:23 am

Kiwideb said to buy a small container of protein powder -- good idea. I would suggest buying several small containers of protein powder. It would be enough to hold you over on your vacation. And security shouldn't be a problem either. It's large quantities of a substance in a single container that gives them the heebie-jeebies.

If all else fails, they have protein powder for sale in Florida, too!

psychoticparrot

Jp2lose
on 4/8/15 12:59 am - Omaha, NE
I've put protein powder into baggies several times and traveled with it. without any problems. Mine was chocolate. I do usually get the the TSA search card in my luggage though.

mickeymantle
on 4/8/15 1:28 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

it should not be a problem as long as you stay in the same country , some countries do not allow you to bring in any food products

forget about you gym routine you will be wlking so much it will make up for it and eating right is the most important part of losing weight not exercise 

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

emelar
on 4/8/15 2:08 am - TX

I put single servings in the snack sized ziplock bags, then put the snack sized bags in a bigger ziplock bag and put it in my checked luggage.  Never a problem.  The milk would probably go through okay, but you can find it in Orlando without having to mule it there!

Fleur
on 4/8/15 2:17 am - Eugene, OR
VSG on 03/10/15 with

You shouldn't have any problems, I travel a lot and never have had an issue.  Couple things: bring the powder in individual bags for ease of use and if you bring a box of milk still put it in a plastic bag just in case!!!  I also bring small RTD protein shakes like Premier to keep in my bag for emergencies when I can't find food.

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 59 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 59 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 239 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 309 views