getting rid of clothes-mental challenge

i8it77
on 5/7/15 8:56 am
VSG on 04/21/15

going thru things for a yard sale and I have found I have about 15 yes 15 pairs of jeans that fit me right now. I told myself to keep 5 and ditch the rest but in the back of my head there is a little voice saying, "no, just in case you don't loose the weight for quite awhile". I mean really? I had surgery. I know that I should no doubt loose 20 pounds easily by the end of summer especially since I am only 3 weeks out.

So my question is this....(cause I know your out there)  How do I let go? when for years I have sleped around many sizes of clothing to save money as my weight goes up and down. I need to let gooooo,.

Paula1965
on 5/7/15 9:11 am
VSG on 04/01/15

I understand 100%! I was just going through clothes this morning and putting in piles to donate or give to my Mom. Part of me thinks I should keep some of them...just in case. I mean I have lost the weight before, given away my clothes and then had to re-buy as I re-gained the weight! I really want to believe that this time will be THE time it finally stays off for good but I see so many re-gain posts on here that I know it is a real possibility.

The good news is I found a box full of size 6 pants and med. and small tops that I plan on fitting it again. I gave my 4's away - but I may be there too!

Nobody needs 15 pairs of jeans in the same size - choose your favorite 5 and keep them until they no longer fit!

Paula

5' 4" tall, HW: 242, SW:215.4 Weight Loss - pre-op: - 26.6, M1: -15.4, M2: -16, M3: -11.4, M4: -11.2, M5: -12.2, M6: -7.4, M7: -7.8, M8: -2.0 Goal of 130 lbs. reached at 8 months, 2 days post-op!

Loser2542
on 5/7/15 9:18 am

Although I have several garbage bags packed of too big clothes, I still haven't been able to part with them. If you find the key to getting rid of them, please share.

HW: 388 SW: 240 CW: 172      Surgery Date 11/07/2014     VSG with Dr. Chengelis

hollykim
on 5/7/15 9:24 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On May 7, 2015 at 3:56 PM Pacific Time, i8it77 wrote:

going thru things for a yard sale and I have found I have about 15 yes 15 pairs of jeans that fit me right now. I told myself to keep 5 and ditch the rest but in the back of my head there is a little voice saying, "no, just in case you don't loose the weight for quite awhile". I mean really? I had surgery. I know that I should no doubt loose 20 pounds easily by the end of summer especially since I am only 3 weeks out.

So my question is this....(cause I know your out there)  How do I let go? when for years I have sleped around many sizes of clothing to save money as my weight goes up and down. I need to let gooooo,.

just do it. Get your DH or someone to hide them from you until the morning of the yard sale. 

Keeping larger clothes around " just in case" is giving yourself mental permission to gain,IMHO. Anytime my size 10's get the least little bit tight,that is my cue to get strictly back on program. It is an invaluable tool.  I WILL NOT buy anything larger and there is nothing else to fall back on. "Just in case" there is NO going back for me,.

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 5/7/15 10:05 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

I go thru stages when it comes down to getting rid of clothes. First I go thru the closet & start pulling some clothes while leaving others. The ones I pull I pile up on a chair in my bedroom, or pile up on the floor of my closet. When the piles get too big, or my cats start sleeping on them, I go thru them & put them in garbage bags, then throw the bags in those big metal donation bins they have in the street. Hopefully someone else would have good use for them.

The clothes I saved I put in a part of the dresser I don't use, so in my head I know they're there but I don't use them. The clothes I pulled I put in my smaller clothes. Every couple of months I do the same thing, I just rotate between the closet & the dresser eventually I either chuck it to make room for my smaller clothes, or pile it back on the chair where eventually it'll get to the bag & finally the bin.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 5/7/15 11:45 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

I too find it hard to let the fat clothes go.  There is almost a sense of panic that I might need them in the future.

But... when I do get rid of them, it feels like such a weight has been lifted (pun intended).  Let them go, never look back.  If they're in decent condition, donate them.  I give mine to my housekeeper who is a larger woman and she loves them. 

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

robinreinhardt
on 5/7/15 11:51 am

I can totally understand how you feel. I have favorite clothes that are larger size. It's hard to let go. I know during the previous diets that I have lost and then regained. I have confidence now that I am not ever going back to where I was. Ever! You have just begun your journey. Mine started 4 1/2 months ago. Good luck and keep up the good work. Let those jeans go to someone else who may need them.

Robin

karenp8
on 5/7/15 11:57 am - Brighton, IL

Just do it. I knew if I held onto my larger clothes I was giving myself permission to gain weight. Yes regain is POSSIBLE but it doesn't come on overnight and as long as I weigh  to keep myself accountable I can keep on top of it. I am a tightwad and I won't buy bigger clothes and that is the accountability I need to make the right choices every day. Clear space for those new trendy clothes that you will soon be able to buy and wear with pride.

rumpole6
on 5/7/15 11:59 am

I also find it very difficult to get rid of the old fat clothing, but I've been forced to bite the bullet since I don't have anymore closet or dresser space for the new stuff. Here is what I am doing to ease the pain. This is working pretty well because the weather is now transitional between the warmer and cooler weather clothes.

After I wear the clothes one last time, I fold the clothes and instead of putting it away, I put it in a black bag. Where the black bag is going is not yet determined in my mind. It could be charity, it could be trashed, but this is a separate (and harder decision) but at least they are now out of the way and I have some room  in my closet.  I do throw the badly frayed or stained stuff directly out, its the questionable stuff that always gets me. And then later I deal with the "bag of clothes" which is a lot less emotional for me.

Preop Diet 10/4/14; Sleeve: 10/13/14

sistah3
on 5/7/15 1:13 pm

It's a real challenge to get the courage to believe you can actually do it this time and get rid of those clothes. But once you do its very empowering. I was just thinking last night I don't remember the last time I didn't have bags of clothes in my bedroom ready to donate. My wardrobe has gotten much much smaller since I only keep what fits right now. A new but awesome feeling.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 79 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 291 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 343 views