Not a VET and posting

TiaHa49
on 5/8/15 11:53 pm - Cleveland, OH

Hi there everyone,

Its been a while since ive posted and while im not a Vet, I vow to do more posting.  I do read every night and empathize/go team for those pre ops, post ops and Vets.  Its our own journey but we really are in this together.

I'll start with re-introducing myself:-)

I had my vsg on April 10, 2013 with Dr. Craig Eyman in Parma, Ohio. He is an awesome surgeon and a terrific human being.   I was  a 10 year bandster at the time of my revision.  My surgery date weight was 350 lbs.  I have Hashimotos Thyroid and was diagnosed in Jan 2015 with bi-polar disorder.  I usually weigh in at 138-143 tho had a bit of regain due to my thyroid wacking out every time I turn around...up down/up down.  I went completely back to basics and am thrilled to report an 8lb loss from Tues to this morn...Fri. I have 7lbs to go and im hoping to knock them out btwn this weekend and next.  If not its ok because I know I will.

I lost the 212 lbs in I think 17mos.  Id have to go back and look at my journals...food journals which 24 mos later I still keep. It helps to keep me focused and takes the guess work out of things as does MFP.

If I had any good advice to give it would be to listen to the Vets still around.  I miss Elina though I understand her reasoning.  Its a new season for VSG'ers.  Listen to your Drs and nuts/rd unless something isn't working or sounds way off base...then bring it here. 

I see so many new folks adding in unnecessary carbs far to early...cookies, chips, candy, pretzels, flat breads, crackers etc.  One thing ive learned is once we've been over weight we can not eat the same.  For those of us with thyroid issues or those with food addictions you seriously can not.  We have to find a new normal...our normal and this comes with understanding the disease of obesity and true change,  Those who have been overweight, with the exception of a small few, will gain weight with things being added in...just another issue we face. 

2 years later, my labs are good other than my pre albumin which has been low since my labs 3 mos post op.  I get my protein in, good protein but it refuses.  I think it has something to do with malabsorption tho many will argue we don't malabsorb.  They are finding out we do just not at the rate of RNY/DS.  My shrink actually gave me a med I have to chew.  Blech! My protein overall is in the good range as is iron etc.  Im type 2 diabetic and my A1c since 3mos post op is 4.2-4.7.  It stays in that range. I struggled with orthostatic hypotension in Feb of last year, kept falling and landed in the hospital.  Meds and higher sodium intake were necessary until my blood vessels shrunk and caught up with the weight loss.  It happens. 

I just started working out regularly in March of this year.  I can do the elliptical and jog  lol...talk about an nsv and being elated!!! Its not as much as some but its good for me, my body and my 49 y/o heart.  In maint is when exercise becomes so important...to balance the body and mind, prevent regain and exercise our muscles.  I'll start light weights in June once I feel I have the other down pat.  Im bicycling and enjoying it.  Find something you enjoy and do it. Wt loss is 80/20 or 90/10 depending on who you talk to. 80-90% what you put in your mouth, 10-20 exercise. I believe that due to the amount of wt ive lost without exercise tho im not advocating one way or the other.  Do YOU. 

I feel very blessed to have had this opportunity of vsg.  Ive learned much about myself and others.  I thank God, my husband for his support and these boards not to leave our my terrific surgeon and staff.  I cant stress how important after care is and has been for me. 

This is my story.

tia

frisco
on 5/9/15 1:13 am

Great post !!!

Spoken like a seasoned vet !!!!

Congrats on every level !!!

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

Loser2542
on 5/9/15 2:52 am

Thanks for sharing your story. Sage advice given.

HW: 388 SW: 240 CW: 172      Surgery Date 11/07/2014     VSG with Dr. Chengelis

Laura in Texas
on 5/9/15 4:16 am

Thanks for sharing. I love reading stories from people of all stages of the game. I especially love to read stories from people *****gain and then fight like hell to get it off. We all need to remember we are never "cured". This is a lifelong battle.

Great job. Stay diligent!!

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

cappy11448
on 5/9/15 4:39 am

Hi Tia,

I'm so glad you posted this.  I know you don't call yourself a vet, but I'd say you are.  And you bring important insight from your experience. 

I'm happy to hear you are doing so well.  Great job losing 212 pounds and maintaining the loss.  You are an inspiration.

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

drea29
on 5/9/15 5:54 am

Hi Tia,  thank you for sharing your story.  Congrats on your success.  Your insight into what has worked for you and what might work for others is very valuable.  Wishing you continued success.  Please keep posting you have a great deal to share.

Shel25
on 5/9/15 8:50 am

Hi Tia, 

Thanks so much for posting!  I hope to eventually lose a similar amount of weight and I loved reading your advise, observation and story.  This all helps keep my resolution strong --- especially on a morning that I find the thought of crackers dancing in my sub-conscience.   

~Shel

HW:361 SW:304 (VSG 12/04/2014)Mo 1:-32  Mo 2:-13.5  Mo 3: -13.5  Mo 4 -9.5  Mo 5: -15  Mo 6: -15  Mo 7: -13.5  Mo 8: -17  Mo 9: -13  Mo 10: -12.5  11/3/2015 Healthy BMI Reached Mo 11: -9  Mo 12: -8    12/27/2015 Goal Weight Reached!

MommaGbear
on 5/9/15 1:10 pm
VSG on 04/29/15 with

Thanks, Tia! I'm still brand new to this journey, but I love stories like this. It gives me hope and keeps me inspired when I'm feeling scared (which is often!!)

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 5/9/15 1:13 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

Hi & thanks for sharing your story! Great post!

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Beverly H.
on 5/9/15 1:43 pm
VSG on 05/20/15

Thank you for sharing your story. I'm two weeks until my surgery date and reading about your journey gives me hope that all will go well for me as I start my own journey.  Beverly

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 100 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 324 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 368 views