4 Days Post Op, New, Don't Feel Well!

mandidel
on 5/16/15 1:37 pm, edited 5/16/15 1:40 pm

Hi All! I have found a wealth of information with this group so far, but this is my first post. I had a VSG on Tuesday, May 12th. With this I had a large hiatal hernia fixed. My surgeons office is telling me that I need to be on liquids for the next 4 weeks. Here are my questions...

1. When does this headache go away? I also feel so lightheaded....kind of like I haven't been eating much (which I know I am not).....hoping my body gets used to this soon....can't function! When did you all start feeling better?

2. It has only been 4 days and I am so sick of liquids! I can have greek yogurt.....if I can have this, then why wouldn't I be able to do cottage cheese if I mashed it up well? My nemesis is the liquid protein shakes...my favorite is chicken broth with unflavored protein powder. Need ideas to get me through the next few weeks please (for someone who does not loves sweet foods)!!!

Thank you everyone!

Hoping to have some energy and feel like myself soon!

5'9"

grayC
on 5/16/15 1:45 pm
VSG on 05/01/13

Your headache is most likely from head hunger because your not eating and your used to eating whatever you want..

but it also could be remnants of the Anesthesia...

and listen, it kinda concerns me that your trying to justify eating off your Drs plan..

it's not for you to question,  why this but not that...

my friend questioned and did his own thing and wound up with a leak!

Im not trying to scare you..just warning you...is it hard right now..yes of course

especially since we've been used to and comforted by food,

just please, please tough it out, before you know it, this phase will be over,

and you'll get the hang of how your body works with the sleeve..and you'll be at goal!!😀

good luck.

mandidel
on 5/16/15 1:51 pm

You are absolutely right about the cottage cheese....just at a low point right now. Hopefully things will feel easier when I am feeling better.

5'9"

grayC
on 5/16/15 1:54 pm
VSG on 05/01/13

How I totally get it...

5 days in my hubby brings pizza home for him and the kids..

I waited till they went upstairs, got up, stuck my head in the pizza box, 

took a big whiff,and proceeded to cry, right there, with my head in the box...

we are here for you, you are SOOO not alone!!

(deactivated member)
on 5/16/15 6:43 pm

Day 2 post op my partner comes home with a Double Bacon Cheeseburger and a sack of fries from 5 Guys. I was quiet for a few minutes and then said in a deadly serious voice, "You know I can f'ing smell that and I want to kill you." He high tailed it into the garage!

hollykim
on 5/16/15 3:44 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On May 16, 2015 at 1:37 PM Pacific Time, mandidel wrote:

Hi All! I have found a wealth of information with this group so far, but this is my first post. I had a VSG on Tuesday, May 12th. With this I had a large hiatal hernia fixed. My surgeons office is telling me that I need to be on liquids for the next 4 weeks. Here are my questions...

1. When does this headache go away? I also feel so lightheaded....kind of like I haven't been eating much (which I know I am not).....hoping my body gets used to this soon....can't function! When did you all start feeling better?

2. It has only been 4 days and I am so sick of liquids! I can have greek yogurt.....if I can have this, then why wouldn't I be able to do cottage cheese if I mashed it up well? My nemesis is the liquid protein shakes...my favorite is chicken broth with unflavored protein powder. Need ideas to get me through the next few weeks please (for someone who does not loves sweet foods)!!!

Thank you everyone!

Hoping to have some energy and feel like myself soon!

detoxing from sugar and carbs can cause a headache, it is called " carb flu". It will pass. 

Dehydration also causes headaches. Drink all you can,all the time. 

Syntrax nectar brand has fruity protein powder favors. I recently tried the fuzzy naval and couldn't taste /smell protein at all. 

Chilipepper
on 5/16/15 4:27 pm

Your headache is leftover anesthesia and you probably need to up your fluids asap.  The yogurts and Protien can weight a few more days. But you don't want to dehydrate. Get some Propel zero. It's flavored and makes it easier to get your fluids in 

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

mandidel
on 5/16/15 4:44 pm

Thank you everyone! I have really been concentrating on water, water, water, and am starting to feel better this afternoon. I also found a "approved" proti soup sample in the bag from my surgeon's office, and made that....it will last a couple of "rounds" (4 oz every hour), but at least it is a little bit savory! I ordered some on amazon. Thank you so much for all the support. Much appreciated! I have also been searching for older posts from 4-5 days out, and know that what I am feeling is pretty much normal. :-)

5'9"

beelitehobbies
on 5/16/15 4:53 pm - Canada
VSG on 04/27/15

3 weeks out for me. Day 4 was my last bad day personally. Day 5 was the real point that recovery started for me.

Be patient, it gets better every single day!

Male 55, Initial weight 388#, and 6'1" / surgery weight 360#/Current Weight is 296#

rumpole6
on 5/17/15 6:29 am

You've just had major surgery and it is not unexpected not to feel great. Some of us seem to get right up and others seem to take more time. But, drink your fluids, that is the most important thing right now. Don't forget you can also use soup (soup saved me) sugar free ice pops, and sugar free jello.

Preop Diet 10/4/14; Sleeve: 10/13/14

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 266 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 327 views